How often do you see Attacks of Opportunity in your 5e game?

As per the thread title, How often do you see AoOs in your 5e game?

• In almost every combat encounter:

Votes: 18 14.5%
  • In the large majority of combat encounters:

Votes: 32 25.8%
  • In roughly half of combat encounters:

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • In less than half of combat encounters:

Votes: 22 17.7%
  • I rarely if ever see AoOs in play:

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • Why is this even a poll?

Votes: 3 2.4%

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Pretty straightforward question with a, hopefully, straightforward poll.

Thinking about certain feats (Sentinel in particular) started me thinking about how their effectiveness varies greatly depending on frequency of AoOs.

I'd also appreciate some additional info - do you use a battlemat and mini's, theater of the mind only? I think play style would have a big impact here.

jasper

Rotten DM
Every session, either the monsters are giving them or taking them. Battle map and minis baby, it the only way. :). The number per session varies with the adventure, players, and builds.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
You could say "every session" as my players are aware of them, and the rule constantly impacts our play, but they don't let the monsters get them.

They hate the risk. So its really "less than half" when a monster flees or changes targets.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
You could say "every session" as my players are aware of them, and the rule constantly impacts our play, but they don't let the monsters get them.

They hate the risk. So its really "less than half" when a monster flees or changes targets.

An interesting perspective that I hadn't considered in the poll!

Vymair

First Post

This is our experience as well. We are seeing them a little more lately as we are recognizing that an attack from a minor threat is worth taking to get onto the major threat. Still seeing a few AoOs per session at most, not unusual to see none.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I voted "in almost every combat encounter."

I view hit points as a currency I can spend to do cool things. If I have to take an OA to do something awesome, that's fine by me. Same thing with my monsters when I DM.

Irda Ranger

First Post
Fairly often. My players are calculated risk-takers and will often risk an OA rather than waste an action on Disengage. The action economy is real and getting a spell or full attack action off can be worth the risk of a single weapon attack.

Canny and tactical enemies will often do the same. Dumb, bestial, or inexperienced enemies will also often panic or become frightened and try to Dash away even when Disengage might be tactically smarter.

cooperjer

Explorer
Depending on the enemy encountered there are more or fewer AoO. If the cult description is that they are stubborn and willing to stand their ground and fight to the death, then there isn't much AoO. If the cult description is that they utilize hit and run tactics, then I see more AoO. In most cases beast encountered will attempt to run if they feel out numbered or are running low on HP. Some of the more tactical NPCs will take the AoO to move to the caster, if it's obvious, and try to mitigate that threat. The net result is about half of my games have AoO.

Satyrn

First Post

Yeah, this probably accounts for a good chunk of why I voted fot rarely if ever.

Remove ads