D&D 5E How should psionics be handled in 5e?

shadow

First Post
I've been a fan of psionics for a long time and I hope to see psionics make an appearance soon in 5e soon. This leads to a question of how psionics should be handled with the 5e rules. Each previous edition has handled psionics differently. Back in 1st edition they were extra add-ons that characters could get if they were lucky. 2nd edition had the psionicist as a separate character class with unique powers that were distinct from magic in both mechanics and flavor (although could be a little overpowered). 3e psionics were more balanced, but were in many ways were very similar to magic with a slightly different flavor. (I never really played 4e, so I'm not for sure how they were handled in 4e.)

How do I think psionics should be handled in 5e? Well, I think that psionics should be distinct from magic in both terms of flavor and in terms of rules. Psionics should have less direct damage dealing powers than arcane magic and be able to do effects that are unavailable to both arcane and divine spell casters.
Also, rather than having powers grouped by level, there should be power chains with certain powers requiring certain prerequisites. (That will prevent psionics from seeming like just magic with a point system). Finally, psionic combat should be an integral part of the system with psionic attacks and defense separate from other power (so that psionic combat is more than just inflicting damage or status effects on a target).

Overall, I envision the 5e psionicist as a character that has some very powerful and unique powers, but is limited in the overall number of powers.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I've been a fan of psionics for a long time and I hope to see psionics make an appearance soon in 5e soon. This leads to a question of how psionics should be handled with the 5e rules. Each previous edition has handled psionics differently. Back in 1st edition they were extra add-ons that characters could get if they were lucky. 2nd edition had the psionicist as a separate character class with unique powers that were distinct from magic in both mechanics and flavor (although could be a little overpowered). 3e psionics were more balanced, but were in many ways were very similar to magic with a slightly different flavor. (I never really played 4e, so I'm not for sure how they were handled in 4e.)
In 4e, each 'source' was different. Traditional D&D Vancian magic was the 'Arcane' Source, and the Divine, Primal, and Psionic sources were all distinct from it (Shadow and Elemental, not so much, they tended to combine with other sources).

The Psionic source, in addition to being 'powers of the mind,' was associated with the Far Realms, the idea being the awakening of psionic powers was a reaction to the threat of the insanity-inducing Far Realms.

Mechanically, most Psionic classes gained short-rest-recharge 'power points' that augmented at-wills instead of gaining encounter powers. The exception being the Monk, who instead got the 'full discipline' mechanic that linked paired attack & movement powers.

How do I think psionics should be handled in 5e? Well, I think that psionics should be distinct from magic in both terms of flavor and in terms of rules. Psionics should have less direct damage dealing powers than arcane magic and be able to do effects that are unavailable to both arcane and divine spell casters.
There really aren't a lot of effects that are unavailable to both arcane and divine casters.

Also, rather than having powers grouped by level, there should be power chains with certain powers requiring certain prerequisites. (That will prevent psionics from seeming like just magic with a point system).
5e actively avoided the complexity of prerequisites in it's implementation of feats (and made them optional, as well), so I doubt that'd fly.

Finally, psionic combat should be an integral part of the system with psionic attacks and defense separate from other power (so that psionic combat is more than just inflicting damage or status effects on a target).
Also questionable on the grounds of added complexity.

Overall, I envision the 5e psionicist as a character that has some very powerful and unique powers, but is limited in the overall number of powers.

In spite of what I'd like to see, and what I expect many psionic fans would like to see - and even what Mr. Mearls has recently gone on record as 'theoretically' wanting to do, /if/ he were working on psionics (which means he's not working on it) - the simplest, least disruptive way to add psionics would probably be as a Sorcerer sub-class. It leverages existing mechanics, gives the psionic a point system (which it's had in every incarnation, IIRC), and could be differentiated from other sorcerers and archanists with a different spell list, including a few unique new psonic-y spells. That would give the psionic a relatively few (relative to a full neo-vancian caster like wizard or cleric), powerful, possibly unique, abilities.

Shiroiken

Legend
There are two ways they could do Psionics that work, IMO. They could do it as a sub-class or as a class. Either way, Wild Talents can be done with Feats, or very minor ones from Backgrounds.

They could easily make it a sub-class of Sorcerer with some re-theme (similar to the Favored Soul) and call it a day. Many of the Sorcerer's spells fit the psionic concepts pretty well, and everything else that's needed can be added from the Sub-class benefits.

The "best" way would actually be to make a new class, using the warlock as it's base (as Wizard is the base of Sorcerer, and Cleric is the base for Druid). Instead of a single attack cantrip doing the payload (eldritch blast), you could have the 5 attack types as cantrips. Many common psionic abilities would be the equivalent of invocations, as would the defense modes, and powerful psionic abilities would be done with spells. The sub-classes could be the different types of psions, from telepaths to psy-blades. The biggest advantage of this would be an existing framework that already works (mostly) with the multi-class system, so you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Fralex

Explorer
I've tested out the idea of making the psion a sorcerer subclass and it's worked surprisingly well. But I also think it would be cool to have psionic magic work completely differently from spellcasting. My current ideas are something like this:

-Spellcasters expend resources to use their powers, psions treat their powers like extensions of themselves and don't generally cost them anything
-Spellcasters learn a hodgepodge of different powers to use, psions learn one or two good techniques that can be used in a variety of ways

Essentially, I want psionics to feel like using magic the same way a fighter uses a weapon. You don't really run out of energy unless you exert yourself to do something spectacular, and you always do stuff using the same basic tool you've been training with. For instance, a nomad's techniques would all be focused around short-range at-will teleportation powers (yes, there is a way to balance this), whereas a shaper's techniques would be focused around conjuring tools and obstacles out of ectoplasm according to a few general rules. I'm also thinking psionic power is limited mostly by the size of your aura, the area around you that your mind can manipulate. As you level up, your aura grows.

Fralex

Explorer
Flavor-wise, I like the idea that psionic power is a trait that just naturally develops as a mental immune system against the madness of the Far Realm. The Gith aren't psychic because living under the mind flayers corrupted and enslaved their minds with aberrant influence; they're psychic because their minds began to fight back and resist the influences of aberrant subjugation, like an immune system developing antibodies to fight a new disease. Psionics is self-defense for your sanity and will.

Coffinthrower

First Post
I'd go for a different take: less overall powers, with each power giving an always active bonus (akin to warlock's invocations,) but the ability to concentrate to upgrade the power with additional effects (akin to 3.5 augments.) Throw in the capability to gain exhaustion to channel powers past your limits.

Id call it Incarnum, perfect name for a less sci-fi psionics, and a call back to that 3.5 sourcebook (but to me, I only liked the names Incarnum and Essentia, the rest of the book was awful in regards to how the concept of soul magic was executed.)

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
-Spellcasters expend resources to use their powers, psions treat their powers like extensions of themselves and don't generally cost them anything
-Spellcasters learn a hodgepodge of different powers to use, psions learn one or two good techniques that can be used in a variety of ways

THIS.

I never played with psionics in 4E, but conceptually I like the idea that every power had an at-will use (akin to a 5E cantrip) and one or more uses that costs points. Certain uses might only be available at higher levels, and certain powers might only be selectable at higher levels, or might have other powers as prerequisites. I think a shallow prerequisite tree is not too much complexity for players to handle; I'd aim for around 20 powers total, organized into 6 disciplines, each discipline being a subclass of psion. I'd give this class 1 point per level, like ki points or sorcery points; I don't want to be tracking tens or hundreds of points (I already do that with hit points). I'm not sure yet what I'd do with psychic warrior or soulknife or wilder or any of the other 3E/4E classes; my initial thought is that psychic warrior is a half-"caster" class with soulknife, ardent, and battlemind as its 3 subclasses.

Oh, and I made a psion sorcerer subclass too, although I have not yet tried it out in play.

The psion and psionics really needs to invoke feelings of past versions of the system. If it doesn't appeal to established psionic fans it's a failure.
That said, there should be optional rules and variants, possibly with alternate names and recharge mechanics.

I'd like to see psionics act like an alternate source of magic. The 2e and 3e versions tried really hard to make the powers different, reinventing the wheel. It's just easier to have them use and cast existing spells.
Divine spellcasters know all the spells on their list, while arcane spellcasters have to learn individual spells. It'd be nice if there was a variation on that to distinguish and separate psionic casting.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I never truly loved psionics to begin with. Mostly because it was arbitrarily different from magic in every edition. But what the heck? Lets go full gonzo with this:

For starters: Psionics should have the ability to build your own attack, à la carte style.

Then, allow them to switch psionic defense modes as a bonus action per round. Which are just passive defensive stances that can be maintained separately from concentration. Just make sure they have a tangible defensive benefit against non-psionic attacks.

And finally add lots of crystals, because crystals are psionic, somehow.

Remove ads