D&D 5E How should the Sorcerer look when he (or she) comes back?

Grimmjow

First Post
Expertise dice are a good mechanic, which is already being playtested and seems it's getting success from people. Let sorcerers accumulate expertise dice like fighters do and spend them to maximise/alter/strengthen their spells.

im hoping to see the expertise die stay in classes that rely on themselves (fighter, rouge, and warlock [if they get turned into a class and not a specialty or a fighter style]). If every other class gets expertise die then it makes them not to big of a deal. When i play a fighter i want 90% of the other guys at my table to be glaring at me in envy as a role it.

Of course sorcerers should have something cool like this too but not expertise die. Personally i still really like the idea i had above. thats just me though

EDIT:
For the record I don't think my interperetation is the "right" one. I'm just sharing my view point.

thanks for this. The idea was an interesting one but the quoted part is what really got my attention. not enough people saying this on here. I was going to give you XP but it didn't let me.

Last edited:

bbjore

First Post
Personally, I would like to see a sorcerer that spontaneously cast a smaller number of powerful spells, but probably on something like an encounter or recharge basis. I also think they'd be a great place for a more freeform magic system. The way I see it, Cha is the mental equivalent to Str, it represent the raw power of your mind, whereas Int is more it's finesse. Big dice, big numbers, and powerful effects are what I want to see. It'd make them more than just a spell battery, and I definitely I don't see the need for them and wizards to share the same spell list if an equally simple option can be found.

I especially think it'd be neat to have it tied to health, con, or something like that. Have the limiter tied to their physical well being to really drive home that their magically is channeled through their body as it literally comes from their blood.

There's numerous options for these, but I would definitely like to see mechanics that do the above. I don't think the 3.5 sorcerer did either very well.

Grimmjow

First Post

Grimmjow

First Post
Forgotten Realms Sorcerer

Beging someone who likes the Sorcerer class i was think of how the Sorcerer should feel in different campaign settings. I kinda of skipped FR in my head cause it feels to much like a classic deal and i didn't think there was any sorcerer bloodline that would come just from FR. But what about people who have been affected by the spell plague from 4e. Even if DDN FR takes place like 200-300 years after the plague it still might provide a fun bloodline for sorcerer.

Note: Everything above in the post is assuming that Sorcerers are given bloodlines

Pour

First Post
Sorcerers should be blood mages, using, as mentioned above, con, health, blood sacrifice (animals, or maybe the death of enemies), maybe even kinetic energy (pain, damage) to unleash their spells. Unlike the wizards with their codified procedure and effect after years of study, the sorcerer has an intended effect, then consequences which follow, that may affect himself, those around him, or the nature of his spell (an accepted level of swing). He is the natural spellcaster.

I greatly dislike bloodlines. I think it edges too much on Race's turf and shoehorns PCs. I think it'd be much more interesting to have something like Manifestations, which key into how the sorcerer accesses his raw power, be it damage, con, sacrifice, pain, etc etc, and use that as the baseline for flavoring class features and spells.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
I prefer the CHA sorcerer to the CON sorcerer. To me, RPG sorcery is a matter of willpower, not of physique.

Media Examples: In Eddings' Belgariad series, the sorcery was accomplished by "The Will and the Word," not by blood and guts. In Disney's version of "The Sorcerer's Apprentice," the master was a gaunt man of strong will. In "The Slayers" anime, both Lina and Naga were willful women, not greatly robust ones: Naga, in particular, was so sensitive that she could determine the nature of onsen water merely by its smell and touch, yet she could cast both elemental and white magic handily. (Lina's problem with blood was not the losing of it, but the timing.)

Remove ads