D&D 5E How To Faithfully Convert Campaign Settings.

Zardnaar

Legend
Over the years TSR/WotC have released a lot of settings some of which are beloved while others I think barely anyone played (Birthright?). Back in the day we had most of them at least the main boxed set least. Even in the 90's (or 80's) the settings had several problems though and htis continued through to 3E and 4E.

1. They split the player base. This was a contributing problem to TSR dying but the mismanagement there was so massive I don't think it mattered. Each setting had novel support, adventures, splat books etc. A Darksun splat probably would not sell to fans of Ravenloft or whatever and only hard core collectors would have the "gotta get em all" mentality. These days you probably won't get much beyond the setting book and maybe an adventure but that is a good thing and its also what the DMGuild is for. I also don't see WoTC selling something like Planescape at a loss- which TSR apparently did.

2. Metaplot.
Most setting (Eberron and Golarion being exceptions perhaps) had metaplot which means the story advanced in novels and product support. Great idea in theory but they often ruined whatever you liked about the setting in the 1st place. Darksun and Dragonlance would be prime examples of this IMHO. This is compounded by Realms Shaking Events. One big problem with 5E conversions of some setting is this metaplot. For example where would you start with a Dragonlance conversion? Most people probably think of Dragonlance as the War of the Lance and its immediate aftermath but you also have the War of Souls timeline.

3. Realms Shaking Events (RSE)
RSE is a term used to describe things that drastically alter the setting. This means the Time of Troubles for the 2E Realms along with the Spellplague. 3E Realms was reasonably subdued by comparison with Bane and the Shadovar returning. TSR had a nasty habit of this with RSE in most of their settings. The problem with this is they often blow up whatever happened to appeal to you about the setting as will. Dragonlance is a prime example of this along with Darksun and the events of the Prism Pentad. Spelljammer had the Unhuman War II, Ravenloft had the Grand Conjunction, Planescape has the Great Modron March etc. This was compounded by.

4. Railroaded plot heavy adventures

These adventures were often low quality as well. With the lead up to 2E TSR started to move away from the early Dungeon hacks and similar basic adventures probably around the launch of Dragonlance, UA and Dragonlance saved D&D but they kept this trend up to the early to mid 90's. There are not to many classic Darksun or Dragonlance or Spelljammer adventures people fondly remember because most of them were crap. These adventures were often tied to the novel lines where the PCs were glorified witnesses to the characters and events of those novels. Sounds like fun right? This is also why there are not many 2E adventures in lists of "Greatest D&D Adventures of All Time". 4E was not the 1st edition of D&D to make crap adventures and while 2E can do better than 2 good adventures 4E can claim its not by a lot. And most of the good 2E adventures came late and are generic (Return to the Tomb of Horrors, The Night Below etc) or are in Dungeon magazine. Hoard of the Dragon Queen is a masterpiece by comparison here.

As some of you know I have been working on a conversion of Darksun that is faithful to the 1991 original. This is because I did not like the plot of the Prism Pentad, if The Dragon has to die I think it is a good goal for the PCs. Darksun was an interesting world earl in the product cycle but they killed off The Dragon and 4/7 of the Sorcerer Kings. Once again if a Sorcerer King is to die a PC should be the one to do it IMHO.

Does this mean the designers of today should be a slave to the decisions made 20+ years ago. The answer IMHO is yes and no they should respect whatever made the original setting appealing in the 1st place but they shold be able to have the freedom to update the mechanic that are faithful to the original concept but they do not have to mirror it 100%. For example casting spells in Darksun should be able to have the defiling option, how that defiling is expressed in game mechanics I am more liberal about. Its also OK to have the rules differ from the core rules and I think something like Mystara and Greyhawk would benefit from having alignment and racial restrictions returned to the game while its a bad idea for the PHB game. On Greyhawk this ouwld mean the Ranger has a stonger identity than the PHB one along with the Paladin who. Not all classes and races need to exist on all worlds either and we will have 3 kitchen sink settings soon anyway (Ravnica, Eberron, FR)and wondering around with Drow and Dragonborn doesn't really fit settings like Dragonlance, Darksun, and Ravenloft. Warforged on Athas (at least as a PC option)are also silly even if they are made out of Atahsian materials as it gets around the food and water thing which is a major element of Darksun.

Not all setting will appeal to all people and that is fine. A lot of the settings you may have noticed overlap with another genre- Greyhawk is kinda Swords and Sorcery, Eberron is magitech, Darksun post apocalyptic survival/gritty. Personally I do not like Ravenloft and Dragonlance much but there is not much they can do to make it appeal to me that won't offend the fans of those settings so I don't expect them to change it to suit my tastes. Sometimes I like gritty (Darksun) sometimes I like whimsical (Mystara) and I can even buy into Spelljammer and had fun with it circa 1995/early 96. I don't really want a shared multiverse where it is to easy to get from say Athas. A warforged wizard teleporting to Athas with a portable hole full of metal weapons kind of ruins the Athasian setting and there is always some muppet who wants to play a Kender on Greyhawk or a Half Orc/Drow on Krynn (maybe maybe if you are playing Spelljammer). I regard players like that as the sterotypical CN players who are more disruptive to the point I would rather not play with them than have them stink up the game.

Note I am fine with things like that on worlds like Eberron, I just don't want every world to be like Eberron (or FR or whatever). I would be fine with a Kender Apocalypse, genocide is justified on those things- sometimes evil is right.

As for the metaplot issue the way I would del with it is to go back to the original and provide the tools to play in other timelines. Using Darksun as an example if used the 1991 setting as an example to play the 4E version you just replace the Half Giant with the Goliath advance the timeline by a month and use the 4E fluff. If the 4E fluff is the new cannon I still don't have my classical Half Giant and the events of 4E are cannon, the original set had no cannon as such the world was very mysterious. Same thing with the revised boxed set those races in it can go under the optional rules along with the Half Giant as Goliath idea and then if you liked the Prism Pentad plotline you can pick up where the 2E material left off if you like. However if you use the revised boxed set the events of the Prism Pentad become cannon.

The other main advantage about original material l is that it has been over 20 years for a lot of these setting sometimes 25+ since they have had any official support. If you use the original setting as your reference it gives a new generation the opportunity to play those settings how they like. They can do their own stories and/or pick the events they prefer. They can go and get the 2E or 4E or 3E Darksun material and do what they want with it WoTC job IMHO is to provide the tools for that setting. For Example Darksun

Races

Dwarf
Human
Halfling
Elf
Half Elf

Kreen
Half Giant
Mul

Optional Races

Goliath (as Half Giant option)
Aarakocra
Pterrans

And they give you the rules for defiling, psionics etc. They will probably have to make some hard choices over things like 2E vs 3E/4E Bards for example. Other things are a lot easier to integrate such as Champions=Gladiators or Battlemasters=2E fighters.

Obviously some settings won't make it, I don't expect to see Birthright anytime soon but good bets are Darksun and Spelljammer. Greyhawk is almost the default PHB. Generic settings like Nerath Greyhawk etc also do not need much work and could be folded into a Races of the Multiverse type book as you can still use the fluff from other settings that do not have much in the way of unique mechanics. For example if you wanted ye olde Greyhawk you can use the 1983 boxed set and chose what races and archetypes you allow. I also think its reasonable for some setting to have the classes associated with that setting to make an appearance (Nerath warlord, Darksun psionics, Eberron artificer etc). One of the older semi generic worlds would also be nice as well since we're getting a lot of new stuff (Greyhawk, Mystara or Dragonlance).

A setting or multiverse book could also include rules for settings that had minimal changes over the PHB rules (Mystara, Dragonlance etc). They do not need the full conversion treatment just the mechanics for that setting and you can use the fluff from a previous version.

So that is basically it. Respect the genre/theme the setting is trying to do, don't contradict the setting for no good reason, its OK to make them different and provide the tools so the players can chose what point in the settings metaplot they want to play in.

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
I do not have big problems with updating the world and timelines. FR has taken it a bit far with having to find reasons to fit things and their big events like the Spellplague. When 4e came out the designers needed to fit dragonborn into the world and they did. I think they could have left more things alone when doing it, but it did not have a big impact on my game since the parts of the world they blew up were parts never given much attention and development.

I also wonder if the original ideas and feel for the setting can develop over time. I look back at 1e modules and see large holes missing from any shot of realism that has been added over time and fleshed out better in new modules. The old joke about an orc guarding a treasure chest in a 10x10ft room. I think settings can develop as well with new plots and events adding to old ones. I have no problem with adding years to the timeline where the module about a king dying affects future modules and stories. I can choose to play it or keep the original time where the king lives forever since that is the original box. I also must wonder if the fond memories I have from playing when I was 13 are clouding my idea of what I want in a new world setting. Some of the settings I have no desire to play again like Spelljammer. Not that it was a bad setting, but the idea of D&D in outer space has no desire for me in my 40's like it did when I was 13. Maybe if the designers came out with a new way and updated it to make me want to give up my one night a week of regular play to try it. Maybe I'm just an old gronard now.

I used to homebrew a lot and had a world where each campaign layered on older campaigns in regions of the same world, but now the old PCs are kings and dukes, or the old PCs children are saving the world now. Time moves on and I think I would want a setting to as well.

Zardnaar

Legend
I do not have big problems with updating the world and timelines. FR has taken it a bit far with having to find reasons to fit things and their big events like the Spellplague. When 4e came out the designers needed to fit dragonborn into the world and they did. I think they could have left more things alone when doing it, but it did not have a big impact on my game since the parts of the world they blew up were parts never given much attention and development.

I also wonder if the original ideas and feel for the setting can develop over time. I look back at 1e modules and see large holes missing from any shot of realism that has been added over time and fleshed out better in new modules. The old joke about an orc guarding a treasure chest in a 10x10ft room. I think settings can develop as well with new plots and events adding to old ones. I have no problem with adding years to the timeline where the module about a king dying affects future modules and stories. I can choose to play it or keep the original time where the king lives forever since that is the original box. I also must wonder if the fond memories I have from playing when I was 13 are clouding my idea of what I want in a new world setting. Some of the settings I have no desire to play again like Spelljammer. Not that it was a bad setting, but the idea of D&D in outer space has no desire for me in my 40's like it did when I was 13. Maybe if the designers came out with a new way and updated it to make me want to give up my one night a week of regular play to try it. Maybe I'm just an old gronard now.

I used to homebrew a lot and had a world where each campaign layered on older campaigns in regions of the same world, but now the old PCs are kings and dukes, or the old PCs children are saving the world now. Time moves on and I think I would want a setting to as well.

The Orc in a 10 by 10 room is more adventure design and adventure design has evolved a bit over the years.

I don't mind new ideas at all but a new setting like Eberron to me is a better idea than say trying to shoehorn magitech into FR (well more than it has). If you have a new idea make a new setting, or at least don't blow up an existing world for your "new and better" idea (see the backlash over 4E Realms in particular).

They could have added Dragonborn to FR without blowing it up. I kind of prefer older FR anyway so I don't have to deal with 3E+ races if I want silly races I'll play Eberron or Spelljammer. 3E Relams did nail a great FRCS though along with a minimal amount of RSE relative to 2E and 4E.

Coroc

Hero
[MENTION=6716779]Zardnaar[/MENTION] Kudos for notiung that the old stuff is often not known by younger generations of players. That's to my experience, gamers in my group are approx. 15 years younger than me so I can use my old 2e stuff and be sure they never heard about it in detail.

2e Ravenloft had some of the best adventures for RP orientated players

Dragonlance has only one interesting area: the war of the lance. And 5e will not change that. So players best either play the heroes of the lance or play some other guys whith the heroes of the lance not existing.

I still argue that gladiator should be the battlemaster and fighter the champion, since a gladiator is not a tank but rather a sophisticated fighter with many tricks and maneuvers .

I still say that arcane magic out of defiler / preserver maybe warlock Templars would water down one of the core DS themes so no 5e bards and eldritch knights for me.

General stuff

On timelines: as with DL there are sweet spots in the timeline and more often than not these are pre world shaking events instead of after.

As you know me I would radically limit class /race / alignment and allowable combos and would not miss a thing. I even do that on "standard settings" like greyhawk and would I DM in the FR I would certainly also put in limitations for my players. Being willful to introduce limitations is one of the things you have to commit to if you want to convert settings tone over to 5E, imho there is NO way around that.

Zardnaar

Legend
@Zardnaar Kudos for notiung that the old stuff is often not known by younger generations of players. That's to my experience, gamers in my group are approx. 15 years younger than me so I can use my old 2e stuff and be sure they never heard about it in detail.

2e Ravenloft had some of the best adventures for RP orientated players

Dragonlance has only one interesting area: the war of the lance. And 5e will not change that. So players best either play the heroes of the lance or play some other guys whith the heroes of the lance not existing.

I still argue that gladiator should be the battlemaster and fighter the champion, since a gladiator is not a tank but rather a sophisticated fighter with many tricks and maneuvers .

I still say that arcane magic out of defiler / preserver maybe warlock Templars would water down one of the core DS themes so no 5e bards and eldritch knights for me.

General stuff

On timelines: as with DL there are sweet spots in the timeline and more often than not these are pre world shaking events instead of after.

As you know me I would radically limit class /race / alignment and allowable combos and would not miss a thing. I even do that on "standard settings" like greyhawk and would I DM in the FR I would certainly also put in limitations for my players. Being willful to introduce limitations is one of the things you have to commit to if you want to convert settings tone over to 5E, imho there is NO way around that.

Yeah I kind of like limitations for settings otherwise you just have generic fantasy a'la FR, Nerath, Eberron and Ravnica (Golarion as well I suppose) and that is almost been all their is since 2004 or so (and a meh DS conversion).

I don't mind kitchen sink settings as such but its almost all we're getting, Ravnica might be a it different but its cosmopolitan more Waterdeep/Sharn than Greyhawk perhaps. How many generic settings do you really need?

If they went balls hard out on one of the older settings and it tanks fair enough, problem is they have not even tried so who knows if a new generation would like Greyhawk, or Mystara or a gritty Darksun etc.

Although t is funny when you see people claim something about a setting when its obvious they have not played it or read the original material using internet scuttle but or 3E+ sources.

And if you star mixing stuff you might end up with something like a Kender Warlord.

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
Because of metaplot, I don't think it's possible to produce a conversion of most of the settings that will satisfy everyone - they'd have to decide whether to convert the setting as it originally was, as it was when it was last visited, or somewhere in between. And since so many of the settings have been 'ruined' by metaplot events, you'll never get the fanbase to settle on one good restore point.

(And the above assumes it's possible to satisfy everyone anyway. Given the nature of D&D fans, that's not going to happen anyway.)

The upshot of that is that I don't think the designers should even try to satisfy everyone. Instead, they should attempt to do whatever produces the best resulting setting, regardless of how they get there; whether that's an update to the metaplot, a conversion of the setting as it was last seen, a hard reboot back to the first publication, a 'soft' reboot to the first publication plus cherry-picked additional material, some sort of 'Ultimates' version, or something else entirely. Produce the best product they can, and let the fans decide.

And, of course, there's no need for them to be consistent across everything - maybe Greyhawk is best served with a hard reboot, Eberron with being kept as-is, FR with an update to the metaplot, and Dragonlance with an 'Ultimates' version. Or some other combination.

All IMO, of course.

Oh, yes, and I agree with the OP about the need (or lack thereof) for an overarching multi-verse. Strong flavours tend not to always taste good together. :)

Draegn

Explorer
Zardnaar, when converting older material, particularly that which is tied to films and or novels do you have the problem of someone saying "That was not in, did not happen, is not part of the film/book"? Or having a debate happen because someone tries to change an aspect of the tied in film or novel?

Does this mean the designers of today should be a slave to the decisions made 20+ years ago. The answer IMHO is yes and no they should respect whatever made the original setting appealing in the 1st place but they shold be able to have the freedom to update the mechanic that are faithful to the original concept but they do not have to mirror it 100%.
They should be able to update the mechanics and, when absolutely necessary, the flavour.

Over the years, problems in the lore of settings will become more apparently. Like the value of steel pieces in Dragonlance. The size of the continents of Ansalon or Khorvaire. Sometimes population numbers don't work or conflict with the tone.
(To say nothing of elements of the world that might have grown more offensive or problematic over the last few decades…)

There should be the freedom to make small necessary tweaks.

Dark Sun 4e actually has a couple of my favourite examples. Dark Sun is all about the desert and features almost every type of imaginable wasteland. But, in the 2e version they missed one. There was no barren volcanic plain. So an otherwise unremarkable stretch of land was tweaked in flavour, giving the world more variety.
Second, there is the death of the Sorcerer-King Kalak. In 2e, Kalak was always a dead man. The metaplot was always going to off him, so the campaign setting was always going to be "wrong" compared to later accessories and adventures. I think 4e made the right call of ignoring the later novels while also starting after the interesting event of Kalak's death that upsends the status quo of the setting and generates more adventure.

Because the originals are never going to be perfect. They were written for hard deadlines with firm wordcounts with limited adventures set there. Future products shouldn't be bound to lore than wasn't played and seen through the eyes of the players.

That said… I'm a canon whore. I'm always going to default to canon whenever possible, and favour additions to canon rather than changes. Problems should be fixed by making the world richer.

Not all classes and races need to exist on all worlds either and we will have 3 kitchen sink settings soon anyway (Ravnica, Eberron, FR)and wondering around with Drow and Dragonborn doesn't really fit settings like Dragonlance, Darksun, and Ravenloft. Warforged on Athas (at least as a PC option)are also silly even if they are made out of Atahsian materials as it gets around the food and water thing which is a major element of Darksun.
I agree that all races and classes do not need to be included. What options are omitted can help define a world. The "world without elves" and such.
Especially when certain races were purposely omitted back in the day. Orcs and gnomes from Dark Sun, orcs from Dragonlance, etc. Adding them back in would be a mistake.

That said, new races should be considered. The point of an update is to incorporate the new into the old. To look at the new species and say "do these fit?" Sometimes, like dragonborn and Ravenloft, the answer is "hells now, that's just wrong". Others… like tieflings and Ravenloft seem interesting and fit the tone of the setting almost better than default fantasy (if, perhaps, with a subtle appearance tweak).
You have to ask "does this species work with the setting and enrich its lore?"

For example, the idea of a wood, stone, and obsidian warforged golem sounds badass. That seems like it would work and be the kind of guard a Sorcerer-King would love to have. Warriors that they don't need to feed and that can guard their palace endlessly.
They could be a new invention that is unfamiliar, or an old one that was abandoned because the warforged lacked enough loyalty (you can't maintain obedience by withholding food from a warforged).

Because of metaplot, I don't think it's possible to produce a conversion of most of the settings that will satisfy everyone - they'd have to decide whether to convert the setting as it originally was, as it was when it was last visited, or somewhere in between. And since so many of the settings have been 'ruined' by metaplot events, you'll never get the fanbase to settle on one good restore point.
I think this is a problem Dragonlance fans know all too well...

jasper

Rotten DM
If you are thinking of selling a conversion, good luck.
If you are playing in my campaign the answer to 2 and 3 is the following. Did not happen in campaign. Repeat that to the players get the idea. Or make the goober buy all the novels, splatbooks, and etc for you.

Remove ads