• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to make half-giants for 4th ed, as no ECL?

shinmizu

First Post
Belorin said:
A simple question, how large are half-giants? 8'? 9'? 10'?
I never played DS and this thread got me curious.

Bel
I don't have any of my Dark Sun books with me at the moment, but off the top of my head I'd say somewhere between 10 and 12 feet.

Frpm the Dark Sun rule book, half giants are 10' to 12' tall (you got that right :) ) and weight aorund 1,600lbs (very veavily built).

Monboesen,
Sweeping Strike as Encounter power = cool idea :)

ongoing -5 penalty though = VERY bad (3/4 of time fail save = seriously bad damage taken!! especially as some effects still hurt on a miss).

As said, they don't have a racial weakness against mind control, it's just cause they are usually pretty dim witted (sorry if I didn't make that clear :) ).
As noted in normal 2nd ed D&D with max of 18 for stats, they'd have maximum of 11 Int and 13 Wis/Cha.

And that lack of Wisdom = less resist chance. It's their weak point and since very powerful mind control abilities aren't that rare on Athas...halfgiants are kept in line by such things, or by simple fact that they LIKE copying others and being accepted (even most snide templars don't belittle their halfgiant slaves to their faces, lol)

IMHO a cap of 15 int/Wis/Cha is more like it if we don't use penalties to stats, but 15 in a stat still allows other classes (cleric, psion etc) to be viable.

Alignment change should, IMHo be mostly RP issue. Halfgiants tend ot ape their comrade's ways, though they never change alignment on a major axis of choice in 2nd ed rules (good/evil or law/chaos are fixed and never change in 2nd ed for halfgiants)
For example, a Good halfgiant with lawful evil companions/master would not go Evil, but could go Lawful.

I think it should be more of RP choice and still not affect their over all tendency, ie only move 1 step of alignment in 4th ed IMHO.

shinmizu

First Post
Silverblade The Ench said:
IMHO a cap of 15 int/Wis/Cha is more like it if we don't use penalties to stats, but 15 in a stat still allows other classes (cleric, psion etc) to be viable.
Hmm, I seem to remember a half-giant with an int of 15 somewhere... maybe in Dune Trader or Ivory Triangle--I'll have to look and make sure I'm not just getting my brain streams crossed. Anyway, gotta love 2nd edition's "exceptions for NPCs only" development guideline.

EDIT: Found it! In Ivory Triangle, Vurgen something-or-other, half-giant psionicist with 15 Int, 15 Wis, and 13 Charisma. Character bio makes it pretty clear that he's definitely an anomaly among half-giants.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads