OSR How Would You Convert WHFRPG to OSR?

Voadam

Legend
I am familiar with WFRP 1e but not the adventure.

I would mostly change things on the DM side, reskin another humanoid's description to be ratlike for skaven for instance, go with the stuff from the WFRP adventure instead of standard randomly generated loot.

As mentioned above the races match up, I would go with background/description/setting stuff so they are Old World or Empire appropriate and use D&D stats for most everything. I would not worry about matching the exact old WFRP player mechanics. I disagree with Sabathius-42, starting mages in my experience were super low powered and had to build up to any power with a lot of xp expenditures on marginally useful stuff so it is a thematic match to low-level OSR magic-users. I might convert guns for the Solomon Kane feel which should be easy for player one shot d6 damage pistols.

My understanding is the Enemy Within is considered a great campaign for the plot and thematics, so I would not sweat the specific system, running an Old World setting campaign using B/X or Oe should work fine.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
My groups are moving more and more to OSR systems and away from trying out "new" systems. Not to mention we're also playing on VTT that aren't ideal for teaching new systems and implementing ruleset idiosyncrasies. A goal I've had for a few decades is to run Warhammer Fantasy's well-regarded "Enemy Within" campaign, and I've started collecting the 4e WHFRPG's revised books. Only problem is, I don't see us being able to play it in that system. (I GMed a handful of sessions using that ruleset before moving players and the pandemic broke up the group.)

What would be some easy to implement rules changes - if any - to give OSR systems a Warhammer feel? My gut-reaction is that we limit non-human PCs to reflect a more humanocentric world, maybe allow being reduced to 0 HP having a critical injury chart instead of instant death, put in some kind of roll mechanic for magic. I'm thinking that AC can maybe work the same way, even though it wouldn't be as DR - it just makes a low roll be a non-hit.
What do experienced WHFRPG and OSR GMs think?
Weird coincidence. I've been thinking along mostly the same lines. Though starting with B/X and going from there. And the same in regards to using the WFRP4E version of The Enemy Within.

What I was thinking about doing was this. Limit levels to 5-6. Restrict but don't ban non-human races in keeping with the setting. Let everyone multiclass. They have to buy into 1st level of any additional classes, say 1/2 the xp for 2nd level in that class. Careers are separate from classes. Basically straight out of WFRP. Characters get some kind of bonus to rolls when it relates to their career, say +2. Let characters switch careers when it's suitable for roleplaying and when adding levels or classes. Include casting checks which stand in for to-hit rolls for spells. Use critical hits and fumbles. Port your favorite version of WFRP's critical hit and fumble tables. Firearms exist, they're fairly rare, quite expensive, cause any NPC targeted by them roll a morale check or flee, and deal 1d8+DEX mod damage with advantage (roll 2d8 and take the higher result). All other weapons deal 1d6. Limit magic items to weird bits of Chaos like warpstones, etc. Leaving most of the classic D&D mechanics as is, like AC, just to make it run smoother and faster.

I'm sure I'm missing some stuff. But that's generally where I am with a similar idea.

Looking forward to seeing what the thread can come up with.

loverdrive

Prophet of the profane (She/Her)
There's WHFRP retroclone called Zweihander. Didn't play it, but I've heard it's good.

Also, Foundry VTT has terrific WHFRP4e module that looks awesome and does basically all the numbers.

Retreater

Legend
Thanks for the advice, but no new systems. My players simply will not learn them. It's D&D or nothing. They would be playing for the story and simple combat resolution. Learning anything new, especially something on a VTT, is just out of the question.
They're bright players, but the fun of playing for them isn't in robust character creation, feat and talent selections, point buy systems, etc. B/X is probably the maximum amount of character creation they are willing to do.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
It's a shame that they won't learn a new system, because Troika! can do warhammer very well.

What I would recommend is the GLOG, specifically Skerple's version: Coins and Scrolls: OSR: GLOG-based Homebrew v.2: Many Rats on Sticks Edition

The GLOG is sort of an alternative to old school gaming that has some very fresh elements in it (you can have lunch to retain some HP....) and a very cool spell casting system. The D&D roots are very evident - 6 ability scores, the d20, hitpoints... . It is also possible to create a class for almost any character concept. Power is capped so a troll will always be a big deal.

Thanks for the advice, but no new systems. My players simply will not learn them. It's D&D or nothing.
But they don't have to learn WHFRP.

There are no choices to make. They roll everything; race and class. No decision points to slow them down and nothing to learn.

Give them a character sheet, and 2d10 and you're away.

The only rule you really need to tell them is when they want to do something, you'll occasionally ask them to roll percentile dice vs a skill. Low is good.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Thanks for the advice, but no new systems. My players simply will not learn them. It's D&D or nothing. They would be playing for the story and simple combat resolution. Learning anything new, especially something on a VTT, is just out of the question.
They're bright players, but the fun of playing for them isn't in robust character creation, feat and talent selections, point buy systems, etc. B/X is probably the maximum amount of character creation they are willing to do.
Small But Vicious Dog and Ten Dead Rats are both B/X D&D retroclones with some tweaks to make them more Warhammery. There's very little the players would need to learn.

Here you can download the rules for TDR for free:

I highly recommend Ten Dead Rats. The designer, Paul, is also doing exactly what you plan to- running The Enemy Within campaign, and the group is broadcasting it on YouTube every Thursday night EST from 8:00-10:00 as well; they just started their third season, and it's a great and funny bunch of players.

chuckdee

Explorer
With no new systems being an immutable point, what is it exactly that you're trying to convert from WFRP that you're trying to retain? WFRP is a system with a world that has a unique flavor. Are you just trying to play in that World?

Remove ads