D&D Movie/TV Hugh Grant To Play Villain in the D&D Movie

Hugh Grant will be playing the villain in the Chris Pine D&D movie, which also stars Fast & Furious' Michelle Rodriguez, Jurassic World's Justice Smith and Bridgerton star Regé-Jean Page, according to Deadline. According to ComicBookMovie, his character name is Forge Fletcher, and the cast will be joined by I Am Not OK With This actor Sophia Lillis playing a character called Doric. In recent...

Hugh Grant will be playing the villain in the Chris Pine D&D movie, which also stars Fast & Furious' Michelle Rodriguez, Jurassic World's Justice Smith and Bridgerton star Regé-Jean Page, according to Deadline.

According to ComicBookMovie, his character name is Forge Fletcher, and the cast will be joined by I Am Not OK With This actor Sophia Lillis playing a character called Doric.

In recent years, Hugh Grant has played villains in Paddington 2, and The Undoing.

Hugh_Grant_in_2014.jpg

Zardnaar

Legend
....looks at NZ with wistful and jealous eyes when seeing how they are currently living due to COVID, and how we in the US are currently living due to COVID....

Yeah, safe is an understatement lol. You folks did a great job reacting to a global pandemic. Us? Not so much...

More for Hollywood stars. No stalkers, no paparazzi and you need minimal security.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Once again, McKellen was cast in LoTR before X-Men was even released. And Christopher Lee was a legend only in certain circles. And again, being famous does not make one an A lister.

I'd even posit that being an A lister doesn't mean squat about acting skills or talent. It's all about who pretty much guarantees the biggest draw and budget just for headlining a movie.
Yeah, not being an A-lister doesn't meant they're not a great actor - they just haven't been considered by the big studios as big budget movie material. And the Lord of the Rings trilogy tended to focus on cast members who would be more affordable as an ensemble rather than try to market on already-recognized, individual star power like a Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks, or Meryl Streep. Some may have even had a significant cult following like Christopher Lee thanks to his Hammer films days, but that hardly makes him Hollywood A list.

When the D&D movie was made, Jeremy Irons may have been a well-recognized name, but I wouldn't say he was ever A-list. I'd say Chris Pine is thanks to the Star Trek movies and Wonder Woman. Hugh Grant probably isn't any more, though he'd have tracked pretty close to it late 90s/early 2000s.

lkj

Hero
I think mostly it's a good sign that they are willing to spend money on well known actors (A list or not) and that those actors (some of whom presumably don't feel the need to accept any job they're offered) are willing to attach themselves to it.

Does that guarantee a good movie? Absolutely not. Might be totally awful. But I think it ticks the possibility of it not being awful a couple percentage points higher.

As for deciding whether any of these guys are well suited to their proposed roles? Well, I just don't think any of us here can really prognosticate that with any degree of accuracy, given how little we know about the movie. Which, beyond a few names, is pretty much zero.

AD

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
I think mostly it's a good sign that they are willing to spend money on well known actors (A list or not) and that those actors (some of whom presumably don't feel the need to accept any job they're offered) are willing to attach themselves to it.

Does that guarantee a good movie? Absolutely not. Might be totally awful. But I think it ticks the possibility of it not being awful a couple percentage points higher.

As for deciding whether any of these guys are well suited to their proposed roles? Well, I just don't think any of us here can really prognosticate that with any degree of accuracy, given how little we know about the movie. Which, beyond a few names, is pretty much zero.

AD
To be fair, this movie is based on 5e, which has a completely borked economy.

HJFudge

Explorer
To be fair, this movie is based on 5e, which has a completely borked economy.

So I am confused: What would make a movie based on 5E different from one based on, say, 2E, OSR, or 4E?

I would be leery of a movie trying to tie itself not just to D&D but to a particular ruleset of D&D. It will add nothing to the movie to make some reference to bounded accuracy vs adeu powers or what have you.

There should be wizards, there should be dragons, and perhaps if we are bold even dungeons. I'd argue that a 'fantasy realism' take, where the movie is about a group of players and their interactions throughout the game both as characters and players would make the most compelling and interesting movie, but even then I would be as edition neutral as possible.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
The more I see this movie, the more I think it's going to be like Jumanji or something, when people are sucked into a game of D&D and need to play their characters to "Save the world and escape."

Remove ads

Remove ads