D&D Movie/TV Hugh Grant To Play Villain in the D&D Movie

Hugh Grant will be playing the villain in the Chris Pine D&D movie, which also stars Fast & Furious' Michelle Rodriguez, Jurassic World's Justice Smith and Bridgerton star Regé-Jean Page, according to Deadline.

According to ComicBookMovie, his character name is Forge Fletcher, and the cast will be joined by I Am Not OK With This actor Sophia Lillis playing a character called Doric.

In recent years, Hugh Grant has played villains in Paddington 2, and The Undoing.

Hugh_Grant_in_2014.jpg

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

RDJ wasn't famous before 2008?!? He was famous and notorious. Yes, he's a great actor (well known since Chaplin in 1992 when he got a Best Actor nomination at the Oscars) but he was also cast because he was well known and could easily fit the part given his well-known history with excess. Not famous... the very idea!
Absolutely. People were excited by the idea of him, specifically, playing a billionaire genius playboy turned snarky/flippant superhero with an unhealthy relationship with moderation.

hopeless

Adventurer
You're viewpoint is very welcome!
I'm unsure about his casting too, but that also applied to Michael Keaton and others who then proved their naysayers wrong so let's see shall we?
Of course it will be interesting how Hugh Grant fares against Jeremy Irons!

Zardnaar

Legend
You're viewpoint is very welcome!
I'm unsure about his casting too, but that also applied to Michael Keaton and others who then proved their naysayers wrong so let's see shall we?
Of course it will be interesting how Hugh Grant fares against Jeremy Irons!

It will go one of two ways.

Either they miscast that Romcom guy or Highs skill transcends expectations.

I don't think it will be "Hugh Grant yeah he did alright".

It will go one of two ways.

Either they miscast that Romcom guy or Highs skill transcends expectations.

I don't think it will be "Hugh Grant yeah he did alright".
You can't see any range between a casting mistake and transcendence? That seems..odd.. just from a law of averages perspective really.

I'm hopeful based on his recent work that he'll do well, but there are plenty of scenarios where his performance could be somewhere around adequate, as would be true for most any actor.

Basically though, I struggle to think of a bad movie where he's been the bad part of it. I haven't seen his entire catalog though, so perhaps it's just a gap in awareness.

To me then, the range of outcomes I would anticipate is somewhere from adequate to excellent. It seems like that's true for most of the announced cast so far. It leads me to believe that if the movie is bad, it won't be because of the acting..which is a promising sign.

Last edited:

Genres such as horror, drama, comedy, action, adventure, crime, and mystery? What genres do you care about? ;)
Yeah. I don't get it. The guy has won countless awards and has starred in less-typed roles most recently including SF, action, Psy-Thriller, etc. Known as a meticulous character actor. I believe he's a great choice for the villain; and I doubt he'd be aboard if the script sucked.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases