D&D 5E "I’m that DM. . ."

Yeah, people in my games don't accidentally fall off the sides of mountains and die on the way to the dungeon, unless I've designed it so that getting to the dungeon is a major part of the adventure and falling off the mountain is the major dramatic consequence of that part of the adventure. (although they may well fall off the mountain and have to climb back up.)
On the other hand, If I've just told them straight-out that they can clearly see that the rickety bridge across the crevasse is far too messed up to cross and they'll have to find another way, and they decide to try it anyway...

Yes to this. Telegraphing dangers solves so many issues.

Oh, and to stay on point: I'm that DM that tries my best to telegraph dangers so the players feel they can make informed decisions for their PCs without feeling "gotcha'd".

I’m the DM that enjoys world building a setting how ever I want.
I’ll mix Theros with Dark Sun and throw in Warforged while I’m at it.

Last edited:

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I'm that DM who worries himself sick over whether or not something will work out, and then is baffled when the players are over the moon about it.

I'm that DM who spends three days prepping something that ends up completely irrelevant, and totally forgets to prepare anything at all about something that is obviously relevant, thus having to improvise an entire session.

I'm that DM who isn't shy about saying how the sausage was made, though I usually wait until hours after it's been eaten.

I'm that DM who gives everyone unique/custom items, skills, powers, etc. because (a) I think they're just cool and (b) I can use them as story hooks.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I'm that DM who isn't shy about saying how the sausage was made, though I usually wait until hours after it's been eaten.
Same here.

That said, in the past I've had players (who aren't DMs) complain when I do this - to follow your analogy they don't want to know how the sausage was made, as long as it was tasty. They don't want to "see behind the curtain", as it were; and I suspect if I was never a DM I'd be the same way.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Same here.

That said, in the past I've had players (who aren't DMs) complain when I do this - to follow your analogy they don't want to know how the sausage was made, as long as it was tasty. They don't want to "see behind the curtain", as it were; and I suspect if I was never a DM I'd be the same way.
Had I any players who voiced criticism of this I would at least try to curb it, but I'm not sure I could completely stop. It's an example of my pathological over-sharing. "Yeah, that session we just ran, I had NOTHING prepared so I was winging it the whole time" or "that fight went south way too fast, so I got creative with the 'steal health' move in order to clear away some of the rabble after you focused the big bad--which was a smart move on your part."

Mostly I see it as keeping myself honest, I think. Not trying to pass off my sausage as anything other than what it is, you know? But then again I was raised being told fairly frankly what the contents of my diet were. I remember being so confused in high school when someone told me she didn't want to know that mushrooms were fungi because it would mean she wouldn't want to eat them anymore.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Had I any players who voiced criticism of this I would at least try to curb it, but I'm not sure I could completely stop.
Yep, I hear ya. :)
It's an example of my pathological over-sharing. "Yeah, that session we just ran, I had NOTHING prepared so I was winging it the whole time" or "that fight went south way too fast, so I got creative with the 'steal health' move in order to clear away some of the rabble after you focused the big bad--which was a smart move on your part."

Mostly I see it as keeping myself honest, I think. Not trying to pass off my sausage as anything other than what it is, you know?
Indeed.

There's also the other potential side effect: if never-DM players see a bit of what's behind the curtain and realize that sometimes there's really not as much to it as it sometimes seems, maybe it'll encourage them to try DMing someday. Or send them screaming for the hills. One or the other. :)

Remove ads