D&D 5E "I’m that DM. . ."

Vaalingrade

Legend
I'm that DM that uses spiders, shapeshifters and evil dogs.

I'm that DM that giggles behind his hand whenever someone says 'verisimilitude'. Then lets out a loud guffaw.

I'm that DM that won't kill your horses.

I'm that DM that allows and encourages pets and cohorts.

I'm that DM that will never remember the name of that random NPC you talked to, but will remember the voice I used and their personality.

I'm that DM that not only knows you can go off the rails, but planned accordingly.

I'm that DM that wants to montage travel, but we can shop all night.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I'm the DM that likes surprises, and thinks scripts/flowcharts/railroads are boring.
  • Random unplanned encounter? Let's roll to see what shows up...I hope ya'll can handle it!
  • Sure, you can explore that forest I casually mentioned, instead of the cave I had prepped for the evening. Just gimme a sec to randomly-generate a map and some encounters, traps, and treasures, and we're good to go. The cave will still be there tomorrow.
  • That crit just dropped the cleric! Oh no, how are ya'll gonna get out of this mess?
  • Of course you can capture the bandits and interrogate them! In fact, you remember seeing a Wanted poster back in town...
  • Oh, you wanted to befriend the bandits? Sorry, I misunderstood. Will that be charm person or Persuasion? Sweeten it with a little bribery, eh? That'll probably work, let's see what the dice have to say...roll with Advantage!

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I'm the DM that says monsters/enemies die even though they actually have 1-5 hit points remaining, because I am the one getting bored of the combat.
I thought I was the only DM that thinks combat* is boring!

*well, most of it. The scripted encounters that have been carefully engineered to have the same outcome every time are the worst offenders.

hojulation

Explorer
I thought I was the only DM that thinks combat* is boring!

*well, most of it. The scripted encounters that have been carefully engineered to have the same outcome every time are the worst offenders.
Agreed about the scripted encounters.

I like combat just fine. I really enjoy good tactical combat with a really smart enemy that the PC's know to approach with caution (Strahd), but after rounds 4 and 5 of the mooks it can get too long.

I even try to subscribe to the rule of only having combat encounters if they're meaningful to the story, or if the PC's actively initiate it. Usually I'm ready to move on with the narrative though. Get on to the next fight!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases