D&D 5E I am perfectly fine with WoTC producing D&D 5th Edition

Why? Because I have the perfect edition, sitting right here beside me, right now--4th edition Essentials. I just got "Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium", which, apart from perhaps some dungeon tiles sets, and possibly some really good adventures, completes my purchases. I suppose, too, that once I get some bills paid off, I might subscribe to DDI. Otherwise, I have everything I need for years of gaming.

So, go ahead, WoTC, and make a new edition; I'd bet $1 million that it will be awesome, and that it will bring people into the hobby, and that you'll make lots of money, because I see what others refuse: that you are listening to your customers, and are working hard to please them.

The only suggestion I would have would be to, if at all possible, support all previous editions

Remember, don't try to make the perfect Pepsi; instead, make the perfect Pepsis.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
I feel much the same way... except I would love to be able to rip out all the Compendium data before they do a new edition. Offline versions of the Monster Builder and Character Builder would also be wonderful. Alas, my computer skills are not that advanced....

Evenglare

Adventurer
I'm willing to say , once they DO announce a 5th edition, whether it be tomorrow or 10 years from now people will come on saying I TOLD YOU IT WOULD COME , I TOLD YOU AND YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME!

It's going to be annoying. But 4th edition will hold me untill they re-release an edition and try and play catch up just like 3rd edition did. I dont know why everyone wants them to announce a new edition so much /shrug. Financially it will be suicide to make another split between players. Especially since the VTT is up and running and all the 4th edition stuff is now starting to come into it's own. Whatever.

Gort

Explorer
I must say, I like what they're doing with 4e with the Essentials line, and would like to see 5th ed do more of that. I still have plenty of beefs with 4e as it stands however, and I'd like to see them do these things in 5th:

1. Removal of daily resources - I want the one-encounter adventuring day to be equally challenging to a five-encounter adventuring day

*No daily powers

-Situational encounter powers?

-Recharge mechanic? Encounter powers recharge on a 4+?

*Healing surges per encounter instead of per day

-Different roles have different numbers of healing surges per encounter? Defender = 4, Everyone Else = 3?

*Classes redesigned to fit these changes

2. Non-scaling attacks, defenses and skills

-Damage and HP are all that scale now, so your AC with plate armour and a shield will be 20 at level 1 and 20 at level 30, but your damage might go from 5 to 50, and your HP from 30 to 300.

-Removal of attack and defense-increasing feats

3. Trap-disarming and lock-picking metagames

-Puzzle requiring a certain number of moves to complete, people trained in thievery get a bonus to their number of moves

4. Fixing the economy

-Bring magic items down to the cost of say, a castle.

5. Removal of basic stats (Str/Dex/Con/Int/Wis/Cha). It's such a no-brainer how to build your character with classes as they are right now that the big six stats are really just an opportunity to screw up.

6. Wizards split up into themes along the lines of spell schools. I don't want to see a class called "wizard" - I want to see a battlemage who blows stuff up, a necromancer who summons stuff, an illusionist who does the various control things - that sort of thing. Then people can pick the kind of wizard they want to be and be them, without making an unfocused mess or being completely overpowering. 4e did similar things with the druid, let's see it done to the wizard and cleric.

But y'know, that's just me brainstorming and my own personal hopes for their next edition.

Last edited:

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
I'm perfectly fine with WotC producing a 5E. I'm perfectly fine if they don't.

I think though that it will be a huge mistake to not continue 4E support on DDI if/when a 5E is released.

Doesn't mean it needs to continue to have new material. Though I don't think occasional material in Dungeon or Dragon would be completely out of line. But I hope that the 4E character/monster/encounter builders, compendium, and VTT support continue. It would be a shame to simply pitch all of that work and replace it with a new editions material. Seems like it would be replicating the mistakes of the 3E to 4E transition.

I'm perfectly fine with a 5E. But hope for a long and continued life for 4E.

Viva le 4E!

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
I'm intrigued by the idea of a 5th edition BECAUSE I like 4th edition so much, and because I liked 3rd edition before that. I am excited to see what they do, and I'm sure that a lot of the things that I value about 4E will be a part of the new edition.

-rg

Felon

First Post
Why? Because I have the perfect edition, sitting right here beside me, right now--4th edition Essentials. I just got "Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium", which, apart from perhaps some dungeon tiles sets, and possibly some really good adventures, completes my purchases. I suppose, too, that once I get some bills paid off, I might subscribe to DDI. Otherwise, I have everything I need for years of gaming.
Meh. Lots of folks post with unwavering certainty that they won't buy into a new edition, and lo and behold when the actual game comes out, their position changes. Time tells.

4e had a lot of great ideas, and a lot of not-so-great execution. If 5e builds on the strengths of its previous edition, I'll give it a shot.

Felon

First Post
5. Removal of basic stats (Str/Dex/Con/Int/Wis/Cha). It's such a no-brainer how to build your character with classes as they are right now that the big six stats are really just an opportunity to screw up.
D&D's 3d6-based ability score array is probably the holiest cow in the game--even moreso than character classes. The decision to ditch or retain them speaks volumes.

Ability scores really serve no mechanical function that isn't better served through more selective character resources, like feats and skills. And certainly giving them one number that only represents another number s ridiculous. Why do I need to have an 18 on my character sheet when the actual bonus is +4? I don't.

Argyle King

Legend
Well, it's good that you're fine with it. :cool:

I am too. I mean, I don't feel 4E is the perfect edition, but I'm 100% fine with the announcement (even though it really wasn't a surprise at all) of 5E coming. I share most of the sentiment of the OP with the exception that my game of choice right now isn't a D&D product at all.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases