D&D General I am so done with kickstarter

Ghost2020

Adventurer
This is one reason I'm not a big fan of stretch goals, especially if they are tied to the core product. If it is just some swag or supplements, fine. I don't care if they don't get delivered for a while after the core product. But saying if we make X amount we'll add additional content to our core book, that leaves me with a bad impression. First, it is more likely to lead to delays. Second, and most importantly, I feel you should have a vision for your core product and not add "fluff" to it in the hopes of coaxing more people to back or backers to back at higher tiers.

Related to this, are how many TTRPG creators handle tiers. Its nice to offer deluxe leather bound books to higher pledge levels, but take care of the quality of the material first. There are a number of publishers where they over very expensive, luxury, collector-edition versions of the books for higher pledge levels but have numerous glaring errors in the book.

Frog God Games is one of the worst offenders here. They do a great job publishing "on time" and offer very high quality books in terms of paper quality, binding, etc. (even for the base book) and these great, expensive leather bound versions of the books, for higher tiers, but they do a terrible job with proof-reading. I still back them, because I like their setting and adventure material. But I would never pay the cost for the high-tier levels because why have a beautiful leather bound book with typos in it.
Also, their page layout production isn't really making much progress over the years.. The page layouts are pretty basic.

Ghost2020

Adventurer
Have the thing near ready when they do the kick starter I guess, so its not so long.

Its the same with Montes Planebreaker, I was super excited for it, but again just waiting almost a year for it is just a drag, life changes during that time, and I'm getting a little fed up with 5e and I can't say I'm excited about a 5.5e which is just going to be the same product but dumbed down more.
I only do PDFs now for most of these releases. That way I can have a chance at getting the product sooner and using it, before my interest in it fades.

I agree, a year is a bit of a wait, but it is part of the deal. I have stacks of KS books that are going on the sale pile because I've no longer wanted them by the time they arrived. Which sucks, but it's also helped me get over KS. I'm just going to buy from the stores when the product arrives, usually at a discount. KS rarely offers deals.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I've backed 120 kickstarters, of which 8 have failed to deliver (although in only one case did I end up with nothing at all).

I'm still hopeful some of the 8 might come through, although most of them are clearly not going to.

What has been more alarming is the number of kickstarter creators who developed health issues at some point in the process. It seems like running a kickstarter can take its toll on you once things start going wrong.

The team that is running the one I'm currently backing and is in its last 48 hours has COVID now.

The worst possible timing as it is just now 1 person updating it from home instead of their shop.

Dire Bare

Legend
In some cases, "health issues" could be a way of saying "lost interest", "didn't know what they were doing", "ran off with your money", etc.
And of course, sometimes "health issues" means . . . "health issues".

I don't think running a Kickstarter campaign is going to destroy an otherwise healthy person, but rather that folks who are already dealing with health issues might see the stress elevate them. And . . . I think . . . that our hobby has a higher percentage of unhealthy, sedentary folks than some others, and some of them look at a career as a work-from-home TTRPG creator attractive. In part as a way of dealing with their existing health issues.

Not judging, I'm one of those sedentary not-so-healthy RPG fans, who would love to start a career as a work-from-home author and designer. But if I ever run a Kickstarter, I'll try to take that into account!

Being sidelined with health issues is something few folks plan for, as we're all doing fine . . . until we're not. Even when really, we weren't doing fine in the first place.

Just to niggle: none of that pre-crowdfunding work is done at "zero cost". One or more people are investing their time, labor, work-related materials and bills, and the further investment of time, labor, materials, etc that got them the experience to know how to do what they do.
You are correct. Should have had an editor look things over before I published ;)

How about zero expense, or no cash outlay? :)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The younglings hate Amazon. But I love Amazon. Because whatever I order, it arrives tomorrow.

Kickstarter seemed like a cool way to support creators.

But it doesn't seem cool any more, with their cash grab towards blockchain so the world can be destroyed faster by climate change.

But what really bothers me, is how long you have to wait for kickstarter products to arrive.

It is almost a year ago when I backed Dungeons of Drakkenheim, still no sign, no idea if it will even come this year.

I have no interest in it now.

1652096578517-png.156887
Yours is 9 days late.

I am still waiting on Marmoreal Tomb. It was supposed to deliver March of 2016. It's just going to the printer now. So more than 6 years late.

Seriously, I don't want to hear that your 9 days late is "too long." Come on man, China shipments is running 3 months behind right now, and the ports are running long too. EVERYTHING is running late right now, and your 9 days is somehow intolerable?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases