• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E I Don't Like Damage On A Miss

VannATLC

First Post
So... I'm a human commoner who has lightning fast reflexes, and by lightning fast... I mean I'm literally "The Flash". I can move faster than the speed of sound.

But I JUST got my powers, so I still have the hitpoints of a level 1 commoner. We'll say 3 because of my sickly con because I did a lot of meth when I was younger or something.

Now, despite having an AC of 99 the Reaper can murder me without question. I simply can't beat him. If I'm standing next to him at the end of combat, despite being able to watch him swing his axe, eat a hamburger, drink a milkshake, and debate the virtues of Oprah's marriage... and then step out of the way at my leisure.

I still die.

GTFO. I could kill SUPERMAN if he had few enough hitpoints. He might have DR/- 9999. Doesn't matter. Superman dies. Don't even need kryptonite.

Now you might say this is nonsensical but stuff like this WILL COME UP IN THE GAME.

And the question is this: What is so damned important about keeping reaper the way it is that it supersedes the suspension of disbelief ire it will cause for many if it's kept in?

Is some vast wonderful thing gained by having it the way it is? No. Not really. Whereas by removing it, and things like it, you dodge a particularly nasty bullet.
You really haven't captured the nature of HP, I think.

It is not just AC which should be reflected from such speed. HP would also be reflected.

Empath Negative

First Post
the superman example doesnt work at all either, even dr/- 3 would negate the slayer's ability

Really? Does DR/- now protect against untyped damage? Because that's the kind of damage the Reaper benefit does.

Go ahead, re-read it. It doesn't say you do weapon damage. It just says you do damage.

So yes, you can murder superman with this ability.

If the Fighter kills my epic BBEG with a lucky critical, I'm going to lavishly describe the resulting decapitation or diagonal cut.

If he kills him with the cherry tap instead, the BBEG is going to laugh at the feeble attack... and then cough up some blood, stare at it in amazement, and collapse. Or maybe I just won't tell the players he's dead at first, until he skips his next action and they notice he's literally dead on his feet.

Neither of those is anti-climactic, and done right, they make a very minor mechanical ability look a lot more awesome than it really is.
I like the way you think.

Empath Negative

First Post
MM vs. Reaper...

Why am I alright with MM doing unmissable damage everyday all day but take issue with the reaper ability?

Easy... MM is... MAGIC. If it was "Whenever the reaper swings at a foe that foes AC is reduced by two" or is "forced to save against fear", or is "drained of his will to fight taking 4 nonlethal damage every time the MM swings at them"..

yeah, I could be down with that. But that's not the same thing.

Really? Does DR/- now protect against untyped damage? Because that's the kind of damage the Reaper benefit does.

Go ahead, re-read it. It doesn't say you do weapon damage. It just says you do damage.
Holy crow, now you want to apply a 3E mechanic to 5E without knowing whether anything similar is in 5E, and expect the 5E rules text to take it into consideration? Keep reaching.

Empath Negative

First Post
Holy crow, now you want to apply a 3E mechanic to 5E without knowing whether anything similar is in 5E, and expect the 5E rules text to take it into consideration? Keep reaching.

Well... I could also assume they're all from the planet Borgulos... because nothing been's said to the contrary... but since the planet Borgulos has never been brought up in any games previously I'll go ahead and assume they're not on the planet Borgulos.

There IS however a tradition of DR/-, and untyped damage.

But sure, yeah... we'll just ignore it ever existed to help your point in relation to an example concerning superman..

*facepalm*

Remove ads