D&D General "I have played in or run a D&D campaign set in Greyhawk." (a poll)

True or False: "I have played in or run a D&D campaign set in Greyhawk."

• True.

Votes: 143 65.9%
  • False.

Votes: 74 34.1%

teitan

Legend
I ran Age of Worms adventure path years ago and that was set in Greyhawk. I didn't find anything particularly remarkable about the setting, but then I didn't delve too much into the lore. It was mostly backdrop in that game.
Yeah that's kinda Greyhawk though. It's a DM's world. They didn't do a really deep lore dive with Age of Worms because it was Paizo, not the way they would have liked, much like SHackled City was supposed to be Greyhawk as well.

GH is kinda meat and potatoes but also has its own flavor too. Its sword & sorcery, Fritz Lieber with a bit of, well, what we would see as The Witcher, and some Lovecraftian elements, especially coming off the Wars era into Living Greyhawk. Paizo was limited in what they could do with Greyhawk.

But the city itself? It's Lankhmar with a castle and dungeon outside the city. It's pretty generic, but the essence of D&D. Where the setting shines is when you expand outward beyond that and look at the classic adventures. They're iconic for a reason. Monte Cook distilled it in Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil. Bruce Cordell distilled it in Return to the Tomb of Horrors. If anyone could get Greyhawk right I think it would be Goodman Games (I'm such a shill).

I played in Greyhawk in High school and ran Greyhawk for a year in 98 and then when 3e came out. We switched to FR when the FRCS came out though and went back to Greyhawk when I launched my fourth 3.5 campaign, with a bit of Planescape. I just find Greyhawk more interesting than FR or the other settings because it isn't crusted with all the bits and lore and fan rage if I change a bauble here or a nobble there.

Voadam

Legend
I ran a long-term campaign in the 80s and 90s taking a group from 1e to 2e involving some of the Temple of Elemental Evil, the Slavers modules, the City of Greyhawk sheet adventures, a couple C modules, the entire Falcon series, some stuff from Greyhawk Adventures, and even two of the levels of the Castle Greyhawk humor adventure supermodule done fairly straight (they fought the Mind Fileter and recovered the artifact Mithril Breadknife of Greyhawk).

When I ran a throwback 1e campaign... I started to type "a few years ago," but it's been almost a decade ago now, I set it in Greyhawk, using the Greyhawk Folio.

I did play a whole session of Living Greyhawk once.

But frankly I know so little about Greyhawk as a setting that it's possible I did play in a Greyhawk game and didn't notice.

Akrasia

Procrastinator
I'm currently running a Greyhawk campaign, using the 1983 Gygax box set as my base (modifying a few things, filling in some other things, etc.).

Right now the characters are in Hommlet, trying to clean out the Moathouse...

Bupp

Adventurer
My early DMing career was all set in Greyhawk, in the 80s and 90s. I took a long break from RPGs and have been using homebrew since.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases