I need AC !!!

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Well, if you're going to be doing melee fightin' you might want to get hold of a mithril chain shirt. There's a small failure chance, but the extra armor can be a big help, since you can give it some serious enchantments.

That said, here's the "Suite" that you want to acquire. Once you have all of them, you start upgrading the +1 to +2, etc.

Ring of Protection +1 (deflection bonus)
Amulet of Natural Armor +1 (natural armor bonus)

Shield spell (+7 cover bonus)
Haste spell (+4 haste bonus)

This gives you a total of +13, which would start you out at AC23 before Dex. If you used Mage Armor or a mithril chain shirt without enhancements, it'd be bumped up to AC27 before Dex.

Now you don't have access to Haste just yet, but that's still AC23 before dex...not too shabby.

Then you move up to +2 enchantments... :D

Kniggit

First Post
you may wish to look at Spellsword in Tome and Blood. (I think that's the right one) Then you can end up wearing one of those neat mithril chain shirts and have little to no arcane spell failure.

I'd elaborate, but I don't have any books next to me right now...

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
What spells do you currently have as a sorcerer? Are you wondering what would be the best spells to take as your next sorcerer level?

bret

First Post
Blur is your friend.

It negates the Rogue's ability to sneak attack you. It gives a 20% miss chance. It can be cast on other people. If I recall correctly, it only requires Verbal components. If this is correct, you can cast it in armor with no Arcane Failure chance.

As for other AC boosts, here are some ideas. They all depend on you learning the stacking rules.

1. Try to stay out of combat. Make use of terrain, try to get some cover bonus. With only two levels of Fighter, you probably are not tough enough to stay up front.

2. If you want to get into the fighting action, then you really should look at the SpellSword PrC from Tome & Blood. You also might want to look over the Persistent Spell feat, since it would allow your protections to last all day.

3. Shield of Faith from the Cleric would give you a deflection bonus. Ring of Protection gives the same sort of bonus.

4. Amulet of Natural Armor or the Druid Barkskin spell gives Natural Armor. I think you can also get this from the 2nd level Alter Self spell, which is extremely popular with Sorcerers because of the flexibility.

5. Bracers of Armor can be gotten in +5 or better versions. Think about investing in some, or taking Create Wonderous Item and taking a long holiday to create some.

6. If you decide to go the armor route, Wands are your friends. No Arcane Failure.

Whoha, thanks for all your replies !!!

As you will see, my character is very combat-oriented!

Spells:
-----------

Burning Hands
Magic Missle
Mage Armor
Shield

Bull's Strength
+ one other (don't know - probably blur)

------------

And I don't mind combat: Str 18 & 47 hp (lucky roller :D +Con)

------------

For the future I am thinking about the Spellsword or Dragon Deciple PrC. But if I go with Dragon Deciple, I need to gain that sixth level of sorcerer (I do want 3rd lvl spells) !!!

What is the best 3rd level spell? I am a fan of that fireball/lightning bolt big damage type o' fan. But on the other hands, Haste, Fly and the likes are cool, too.

Thx for your thoughts!

The Knight

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Ok I'd go with spellsword over dragon disciple, I like +caster levels and without that I think dragon disciple sucks, (also being big and bad can be simulated easily with poly self when you gain 4th level spells). Also I wouldn't take any more fighter levels, with spellsword 2 levels is plenty. Good 3rd level spells haste as mentioned, and also blink I'm fond of. It gives a 50% miss chance, and a 20% miss chance v area effect attacks, you gain a miss chance which sucks, but the ability to leap through walls and other solid matter has absurd utility. (a good reason to avoid more fighter levels is at the high levels take tensers transformation and become an absurd fighter, and at lower levels the differences will be minor one bab maybe and a couple HP)

Other great spells fly(any flight things are cool even alter self) mobility especially when you got yourself ranged spells and a bow, can mean not getting hit, also it lets you close on foes you normally can't reach.

Remove ads