I think it is kind of slow around here...(postponed)

Voda Vosa

First Post
Good so to resume a bit:

Starting level: 1
Starting gold: 900 gp
Starting stats: 32 pb (Standard no?)
Background: Puppets of a vanished mad wizard

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Myth, regarding your template progression, templates do not provide BAB, HD, base saves, skill points, etc, unless specifically spelled out in the template.

Thus, any "levels" in a template class are what I call "empty levels" in that they provide only special abilties and no other benefits of gaining a level, adding to your ECL but that's it.

Generally speaking, that is the price one pays for having a high level adjustment. ;) If Holy Man wants to fill in those empty levels with something that is his perogative.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
I will look into it for you ML but work starts in an hour *sigh* :(

crazy_monkey1956 if you could send me and example of a template monster to use as a guide I think we could work something out.

thanks in advance

HM

Myth and Legend

First Post
It doesn't make sense to have 0 to all saves, 0 BAB and NO hitpoints :erm: The price for a high LA template is fine, especially if it can be bought off or we start above lvl 1. How am I supposed to survive past lvl 5 with the HP of a lvl 1 commoner child? A level 5 Wizard can cast 3rd level spells and already has (on average) around 30 HP.

Also, this template does grant skills:

Skills: An unholy scion gains skill points as an outsider and has skill points equal to (8 + Int modifi er) × (HD + 3). Do not include Hit Dice from class levels in this calculation—a scion gains outsider skill points only for its racial Hit Dice, and gains the normal amount of skill points for its class levels. Treat skills from the base creature’s list as class skills and other skills as cross-class.

I suggest we make the first 5 levels of this a creature progressoin and the rest leave as a template. if she gains skills as an outsider for her racial HD and not class lvls, it makes sense to get Outsider HD, Bab and saves. After lvl 5 (if we even get there, it took 1 year for Lora to get from lvl 1 to lvl 4) I'll start taking class levels.

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Right, templates don't provide BAB or hit points, etc. Generally speaking, they can't be taken as your first class level, you have to take a "normal" class level at 1st level. The best way to take on a high LA template class is to intersperse the levels between regular class levels. In other words, take a level of Rogue, then a level of Unholy Scion, then another level of rogue, then another level of Unholy Scion, etc (using Rogue only as an example, it'll work with whatever class you like).

Myth and Legend

First Post
CM that would be a great way of doing it if it was say, the Saint template. However, Unholy Scion pretty much starts with these abiliteis since birth, the only scaling coming for SLAs later with HD advancment. I won't have an actual Unholy Scion character until Clvl 10, and sorry but I'm yet to see a PbP game advance 10 character levels.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Then you may have to choose something else ML remember this is a consensus from everyone and since so far it is looking like starting at lvl 1 is ok with most of the players that will be where we start.

And if your template can gain it's abilities by even distrbution of class lvls and template lvls then that is the way it should be. Even for everyone.

Now your saying the description of the template says it is normal for a Unholy Scion to have these abilities at birth but I say this is D&D and we throw that kind of stuff out the window all the time.

Could be a bunch of reasons your character didn't get this power yet or that power till much later than normal. And that should be what we should focus on.

HM

renau1g

First Post
Maybe the evil wizard experimented on you and somehow blocked/stole your powers ala Baldur's Gate II? It will take you much time to unlock them, or at least situations of sufficient duress to break his hold... something like that

Remove ads