(IC) Against the Giants PBP Group 2

FitzTheRuke

Legend
OOC: To answer Kobold's earlier question Re: How long does it take the guards to do a circuit? A: It takes them about 10 minutes to walk around the steading, but there's two of them, so it's about 5 minutes between them when they are properly at their furthest apart. They are in sight about half their trip (the east and north sides - you watch from the north-east corner and can see both sides, except the south-east corner which cuts inward for the main gate, which you can't see.) So they are in sight for about 4 minutes and out of sight for 6, if that makes sense. This is all very approximate, as they screw up their march timing and get closer together or further apart, sometimes taking as much as 20 minutes to go around if they dawdle or as little as 6 if they hustle to avoid the other one. The ogres just stand there, by each gate.
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
OOC: @JustinCase I suggest you cast Augury to see if there is benefit in approacing now and not waiting for dark. If the auspices say yes, then we go. If turned invisible, the Colonel can go, or we can all go sneakily with Pass without trace. But Let's not sit here longer (my 2 cp).
 



FitzTheRuke

Legend
Duvrael got out a rolled snakeskin that was filled with little bones. He shook the bones in his hand while whispering to them in a soft hiss. Then, suddenly, he threw the bones into the skin, that he had laid on the ground before himself. After a moment of reflection, he announced that the bones had spoken: Waiting was a bad idea. From his own interpretations, he read the signs to indicate that, like the Giant Houndmaster that had returned after collecting the pack of Dire Wolves, parties of giants that were out (perhaps looking for last night's raiders, hunting parties, or a gathering of reinforcements) would return.

OOC: @JustinCase hasn't been on ENWorld in a bit. I assumed he'd go along with the augury plan so we can start to move along. @Maxperson, is that enough to make you want to go? Either way, how would the group like to attempt to approach the Steading when it's time to do so?
 

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Duvrael got out a rolled snakeskin that was filled with little bones. He shook the bones in his hand while whispering to them in a soft hiss. Then, suddenly, he threw the bones into the skin, that he had laid on the ground before himself. After a moment of reflection, he announced that the bones had spoken: Waiting was a bad idea. From his own interpretations, he read the signs to indicate that, like the Giant Houndmaster that had returned after collecting the pack of Dire Wolves, parties of giants that were out (perhaps looking for last night's raiders, hunting parties, or a gathering of reinforcements) would return.

OOC: @JustinCase hasn't been on ENWorld in a bit. I assumed he'd go along with the augury plan so we can start to move along. @Maxperson, is that enough to make you want to go? Either way, how would the group like to attempt to approach the Steading when it's time to do so?
OOC: I will go along with the augury. If it says waiting is a bad idea, I'm good to go now.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I will go along with the augury. If it says waiting is a bad idea, I'm good to go now
OOC: Any notes on approach? I'm honestly not sure what the best way to move forward is myself. (Which usually means that a direct approach is in order. Still, it ought to be a cautious direct approach...)
 

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Doc's been patiently waiting. But this cheroot is out, and I'm gonna need some more whisky soon enough. Doc was comfortable enough with his abilities, and began to move toward the steading, trustin' in the shadowy benefits of the Sheriff to grant him succor.

 

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Kahru the eagle saw the rolling of the bones and the shaded meander of their eerie compadre and guessed that they had all decided to move in. They could probably get the timing on the hill giant guards, but the ogres guarding the approaches would need to be dealt with, perhaps the druid could help.

Remaining in eagle form Kahru again rose into the air again and flew back towards the steading, maintaining stealth as he did so, until he could find somewhere to perch and watch the ogres and the approaching adventurers.

OOC: Kahru cast pass without trace on his first approach to the steading, it lasts an hour, so is it still in place? And does the rest of the crew get the benefit when they get within range (30ft) even though he’s flown ahead?)
 


Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
THe Colonel knows he is not stealthy on the ground. He holds his breath (that's an easy trick for the genasi), and makes his approach as silently as he can. His armour is enchanted not to make noise, but it doesn't mean he is silent by any means. Still, he advances, and is ready to let loose if he is spotted, aiming first at the catapults.

OOC: Move+Stealth: 1d20+0=8. Ugh. 18 if benefiting from Pass without Trace.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Kahru's spell caused the environment to help the group to move silently and leave no trace of their passage. Unfortunately, it did not provide cover, and there was a thousand feet of open space between their hiding spot behind a rocky tor at the top of a nearby hill, and the north-east corner of the steading.

Even if they were to wait for the patrolling giants to both be on the far side at the same time, there was still three ogres who would spot them coming down the hill.

OOC: Here, let me make it easier on you. Here's a map in 30 ft. grid.

1667622024777.png
 

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
OOC: Do we have someone who can ditch these guys and stealthily meet back up with us? If so, he can lead the big lugs away while we sneak in. Perhaps wild shape would work.
 




FitzTheRuke

Legend
Gimlak concentrated and a vortex appeared; a tear in the fabric of reality that brought forth a creature unnatural to the world. Its face tentacles writhed as it bowed before him and unspeakable words echoed in the minds of those present, threatening to break through their mental barriers and expose their fears, doubts, and the madness hidden deep within.

Duvrael nodded - anything to get the creature away from himself. Madness was never far from the surface of a yuan-ti, and he could feel himself longing to embrace it. He turned the thing invisible, and it lumbered off down the hill. Although no one could see it go, there was a palpable sense that the natural world was returning to the tor.

Peering over the rocky blind, the group watched as an ogre first began to throw his arms up in dismay and confusion, and then abandoned his post and ran southward. Next, the ogre at the north gate clutched his head, then began to pound on the gate. A young ogre opened the gate and the ogre fled inside.

By this time, one of the two walking hill giants rounded the corner and watched the ogre for a moment. Then, he too was overtaken with psychic pain. He took off his helmet, threw it at the ground, and then ran backwards on his route until he was out of sight, somewhere around the base of the watchtower.

It had all taken about fifteen minutes, but for the moment, there was no one to see them run down the hill.

OOC: @JustinCase has been absent for a bit, but I'm sure he'd be on board with this plan. I'm assuming everyone goes now. It's about a two-minute run when you're not trying to be stealthy. Here's your options as I see it: 1) Same approach as before: Go up the nearest chimney on the left of the east gate and hide on the roof for a moment. 2) North gate is currently open. You could go right for it, but there's occupants (at least the brain-fried ogre, a youth, and some returned dire wolves, maybe others).
 

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
OOC: boy that was fast! ;-) a couple of things, before starting, I would have lobbied @JustinCase to cast Rary’s telepathic bond as a ritual on the party + summoned aberration so Gimlak could communicate with it. If this is a no go, Gimlak would have instructed the aberration to come back to the party so we can use it with the remaining spell duration.

Assuming that the invisible star spawn is still with the group, Gimlak is fine going through the gate but he’s also ok going through a chimney
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
OOC: Sure. Order of operations: 1) Gimlak summons Star Spawn (duration 1 hour); 2) Duvrael performs 10-minute ritual Rary's Telepathing Bond (duration 1 hour); 3) Duvrael casts Invisibility (duration 1 hour); 4) Star Spawn lumbers down the hill (4 min) and harasses the ogres & a giant for ~11 mins; 5) Everyone runs to catch up (2 mins). From the NE corner of the Steading, remaining time: Star Spawn 33 min. (Gimlack's concentration); RTB 43 min.; & Invisibility 43 min (Duvrael concentration, but it'll drop if the Star Spawn attacks). Previously Kahru cast Pass without Trace on everyone, but that hour would be up by now (after he did all the scouting, reporting, and everyone decided to head down, after following the above plan). Time Check: ~5:22pm, give or take.
 
Last edited:


An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top