(IC) Against the Giants PBP Group 2

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The group ran down the hill. A little out of breath, they quickly duplicated the task of the day before, climbing up the chimney to the south of the east gate. The ogres had shut the north gate, but the star spawn was already in the courtyard. The ogres' attention was focussed northward, and the dire wolves were barking and whining in unison. No one saw as the group made their way to the same spot between the main steading's roof and that of the kitchen, where they were out of sight from the courtyard and the watchtower.

OOC: The star spawn's actual location will eventually be discovered, and there will be a fight. I don't know if we want to run it out, or if any of you would like to 'help' (there'd be a danger of giving yourselves away). Either way, next task is to decide how to get down. Both kitchen chimneys are burning hot. Most others are out, though all of them are within sight of someone who ought to be looking out for you. The easiest one to go through is the main hall's smoke-hole, but it's something like 50 ft. to the floor (and directly over a bonfire.) There are rafters, but it might be a bit of a trick to get to them. At least for some.
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
OOC: are there water puddles or any kind of water accumulations on the roof? The idea would be to use shape water to move it to the chimney.
Same question for dirt on the roof with mold earth. Come to think of it, could mold earth move soot from the chimney? The concept would be to smother the fire

Another option: have the invisible star spawn go into the kitchen, find liquid and put out the fire. The fact that we can telepathically communicate would make this fairly straightforward.

Last resort: We could also just wait for the giants to fall asleep and the bond fire to die out.
 
Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
OOC: The Colonel can cast Feather Fall for four people (plus himself) to go through the central hole (and, if needed, another 5 with a second casting?). Aerial assault!
 

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
OOC: The Colonel can cast Feather Fall for four people (plus himself) to go through the central hole (and, if needed, another 5 with a second casting?). Aerial assault!
OOC: I think we need to find a way to put out the fires first ;-) See my post just before yours.
 
Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
OOC: I imagined five people each jumping (use the long jump rules!) simultaneously through the central smoke-hole, each of us passing over the fire and landing on the other side.
 

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
OOC: I can do shape water (maybe on a beer barrel?) and would be happy to drop a waterbomb on the bonfire before the crew jumps in - a distraction to cover the aerial assault?
Just noting theres 6 hill giants, 2 stone giants, a bear and a huge rock in there waiting
 
Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The thatch roof was sodden from rains. In the V between the steading proper, and the kitchen extension, water collected. Kahru would be able to shape it into a form that could climb up the roof and jump into the smoke-hole. It might not fully put the fire out, but it would make it easier to avoid, and be an effective momentary distraction.

There were six people on the roof. The colonel's updrafts could carry five down. Either Donnell could remain on the roof until the danger was past, or someone could find their own way down. The plan was sound, though the danger was real.

Waythe urged Kahru to get on with it, eagre to see how many giants she could slay.
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
The Colonel makes eye contact with his companions, who nod if they are coming with him. He holds up three fingers to coordinate the timing with Kahru. Three, two, one...
 

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Kahru reached out to the water he could see pooled on the roof and felt it moving, flowing up the thatch towards him like a serpent. He could feel Waythe urging him to slaughter the assembled giants below and Kahru was ready, as soon as the Colonel gave the signal.

"Does the squire have a bow?" he whispered "he can provide cover, overwatch" - Kahru would give his own hand bow if need be. "and leave the bear to me, perhaps I can turn it to our side"

Three, two, one... Water- Fire - Wind- Lets Rock
 


FitzTheRuke

Legend
Donnell did have a bow, but it would be impossible to fire into the smoke-hole without standing on its stone rim, which would be precarious, have a limited range of sight, and be within full view of the watchtower. Donnell was relieved (and more than a little impressed) when Kaligan offered to jump down, unaided by the Colonel's winds.

The plan set, the group put it into action.

OOC: I will return with a map & round-roller post.
 


FitzTheRuke

Legend
OOC: First, just for your visualization, and because you will not be on the map until you jump down, here is what the rooftop looks like. You are in sight of the watchtower (briefly) when climbing over the stone edge of the smoke-hole. Also, if you pass the peak (which is the dark line at row 57.) You are technically in sight of (much of) the courtyard, but no one is currently looking at the roof. As a reminder, with the way I do initiative, "surprise" means that all the bad guys will go LAST, and they may need to use their turns to grab weapons or get into position, or whatever, but they WILL get a turn. Feel free to ask any questions you may have. Here's the roof. The grid-postions correspond to exactly above the same positions (forty feet up) on the map of the Great Hall (pending). I hope that all makes sense.
1668389819019.png
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
GM: Encounter: Steading of the Hill Giants Great Hall
G2GreatHall1.jpg

(General Features) Difficult Terrain: crates; Visibility: Bright (braziers; daylight through smoke-hole); Cover: pillars & crates; Spells: none
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells (Etc) * (Notes)
(PCs)
Colonel AC19* HP 66/66 THP 13/13 HD 9/9 PP19* SSdc18 4/4 3/3 2/3 3/3 1/1 CD 2/2 WotS 5/5 MyS 1/1
Duvrael AC12(15) HP 56/56 THP 13/13 HD 9/9 PP15* SSdc17 4/4 2/3 3/3 3/3 1/1
Gimlak AC17 HP 68/68 THP 13/13 HD 9/9 PP12* SSdc17 4/4 3/3 3/3 2/3 1/1 SP 12/12
Kahru AC15 HP 83/83 HD 9/9 THP 13/13 PP16 SSdc14 4/4 2/3 3/3 WS 1/2 Rg 3/3 Stf 7/7
-Kahru-Bear AC12 HP 42/42
Kaligan AC18* HP 76/76 THP 13/13 HD 9/9 PP14 PD 8/8 DT 1/1 TK 1/1 AS 1/1 2W 1/1 ID 1/1
(NPCs)
Donnell AC19* HP29/29 THP 13/13 HD 4/4 AS 1/1 2W 1/1
Hiss AC13 HP 2/2 PP10* ts10'
Name * AC * HP * PP * (Notes)
(BGs)
Stone Giants AC17 HP126ea PP14*
-SG1 126/126; SG2 126/126
Hill Giants AC13 HP105ea PP12
-HG1 105/105; HG2 105/105;
-HG3 105/105; HG4 105/105;
Hill Giant Schlub AC11 HP 59/59 PP8
Young Hill Giant AC12 HP 42/42 PP10
Bear AC13 HP65/65 PP13(17)*
GM: Begin Round One
OOC: Please self-audit your spell slots. I don't know if I kept track of all the spellcasting since the long rest. The Colonel flew at some point? I didn't number the giants. Count 'em left-to-right and down. I'll put #s on 'em next time.
 

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
OOC: Gimlak can also help with shape water since he knows that cantrip, thereby increasing the amount of water.
He'll telepathically instruct the star spawn to remain invisible in front of the doors leading to this room, preventing reinforcements while remaining invisible.
I agree that Donnell remains on the roof
Gimlak is ready to go !
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
OOC: Here's a picture I have either not posted before, or at least not lately. This is the view of the Steading (unfortunately cut-off so you can't see the courtyard or the outbuilding, which would be off on the right) but you can see the east gate, the watchtower, and the smoke-hole chimney. You can see why you wouldn't want to climb over the peak (you'd be seen from the watchtower for sure.) Essentially you all climb up and roll over the north side (the side we can see) of the stone chimney, into the smoke-hole. I call it a smoke-hole, rather than a chimney, because it doesn't go down inside the building. Just that bit on the roof to let the smoke out. A single STR (athletics) check will do to roll over the edge, fall, and try not to land in the firepit, which might be unpleasant even after the water snake dives on the fire, which I assume will mark "go time".
1668475635366.png
 


Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Doc has been listening to the plan, but as soon as the countdown reaches zero he jumps down in the hole. He reckons the Sheriff has waited long enough. As he falls lightly toward the bottom, he calls forth an older soul trapped within him who died in a circus to help guide him to safety.

As he hits the ground, he rolls and strides forward from the smoke, concentrating his ire and wrath upon the stunned expression of the tall rustler he first sees while firing a full volley.

OOC:
Athletics: 1D20+1 = [10]+1 = 11

Past life: 1D6 = [5] = 5

16 for athletics check.

Land at AK59. Bonus action- Hex Hill Giant Schlub.
Shoot tiwce: 1D20+7 = [4]+7 = 11
1D20+7 = [9]+7 = 16

*supposed to be +9-, should be 13, 18

First shot, sneak (surprise), hex: 1D10+5 = [2]+5 = 7
2D6 = [3, 1] = 4
1D6 = [1] = 1

Piercer reroll: 1D10 = [4] = 4

First shot damage= 14
Second shot: 1D10+5 = [2]+5 = 7
1D6 = [5] = 5

Second shot damage= 12

Move to AN61.


Posting this since I think it's missing?
Doc AC14 HP 84/84 THP 13/13 HD 9/9 PP20 SSdc16 1/2 Wls 4/4 Crs 1/1 PL 3/4 Wsp 1/1
 

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
OOC: Athletics _: 1D20+6 = [8]+6 = 14 to AG56

with the twin water snakes splashing down into the fire, and the colonel granting his light touch, Kahru followed, riding the updrafts like he was still in eagle-form down into the great hall.
Waythe was urging him to strike down the giants, but the druid had seen the bear earlier and was compelled to protect it. So as he came to the ground Kahru snatched a morsel of food from his belt and tossed it to the bear, seeking to convince the beast that the newcomers meant it no harm, “I am Storm-Bear” he said in the druids cant “we are Friends, but now go from this place in peace

OOC: cast Animal Friendship Wis14 (Duration 24hrs)
 
Last edited:

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
As Gimlak slowly falls down, his anger rises at the thought of his brethren being enslaved. He looks towards the table and warps reality affecting all the nearby minds.

He then asks the starspawn outside telepathically Do any ennemy outside know where you are and is any of them heading towards the room?

OOC: Move: none or move out of the firepit

Action: psionically cast (no verbal or somatic components) synaptic static centered on AI 48 (should affect all giants around the table, but not Kahru's bear) using 5 spell points, Int save DC 17 or 32 psychic damage
After a failed save, a target has muddled thoughts for 1 minute. During that time, it rolls a d6 and subtracts the number rolled from all its attack rolls and ability checks, as well as its Constitution saving throws to maintain concentration. The target can make an Intelligence saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Bonus action: convert 5th spell slot into 5 spell points

Concentrating on summon aberration
AC17 HP 68/68 THP 13/13 HD 9/9 PP12* SSdc17 4/4 3/3 3/3 2/3 0/1 SP 9/12
psionically cast summon aberration using spell points -4sp
psionically cast psionic static using spell points -5sp
convert 5th spell slot into spell points +5 sp
 

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top