(IC) Against the Giants PBP Group 2

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"May I ask: Do we have a leader?" asked Donnell, boldly. "Because if not, we're going to have to work out how a group of equals can make decisions, and we're going to have to do it quickly. Before that giant down there spots us and raises an alarm."

OOC: So which is it? I have two-and-a-half "votes" for hitting the watchtower and one 'weighty' vote (in that @Maxperson sounds determined) to go down the kitchen chimney. Can we reconcile quick-ish (by which I simply mean without too much back-and-forth on it)? It's an important decision, sure, but ultimately not all that important. Either way can lead to success or death, depending on how things shake out.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Gimlak weighs in: "If we do anything outside, we need to dispatch the wolves first otherwise they will reveal our presence. If we go inside, this won't be a problem, unless the guards come in as reinforcements. If we can trap the giants inside, I can open a path to the greater void that will soften them up"

OOC: Gimlak has the inspiring leader feat, but I don't necessarily want to impose his leadership.
Also, apologies in advance, I'm travelling till Friday so my response rate will be spotty.
Also FYI, GImlak is referring to the Hunger of Hadar spell, that can be quite nasty in enclosed spaces

FitzTheRuke

Legend
While the others discussed how best to proceed, Kahru went up to the roof's peak and peered over at the watchtower. It was now dark, and he could see the shadowy forms of two hill giants on watch. One was looking out to the south and the other to the east, using the light from two large hooded lanterns cast out into the grassy hills surrounding the steading.

He looked back to see if anyone was following him, and he could just make out the company in the crook of the roof, quietly discussing what to do, with no consensus achieved.

OOC: Edit: Just so we know what we'd be getting into with the Watchtower. The roof peaks at about even with the Watchtower's platform (45 feet above the ground) and then slopes down to 25 feet off the ground, making the climb ~25 feet (including getting over the railing) from the roof to the Watchtower. The hill giant guards ARE alert ATM, but they're not watching the roof, and they don't have darkvision. So slipping down the roof to the chimney (for cover) is not out of the question, though maybe not room there for the whole party. Still, you can work your way all the way to the base of the watchtower, with a stealth roll. (Currently without PWoT, they could feasibly hear you on the roof and shine their lanterns over, and you'd be caught). Then you'll have to climb 25 feet up to get at them. Not easy, really.

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Kahru The Storm Bear looked back with a scowl, wondering why he had been cursed with ditherers instead of warriors. The aid of the spirits had already passed without trace into the night and he could feel the undercurrent of rage starting to broil in his belly. But as impatient and ready to crack skulls as the barbarian was, he was not so rash and unwise as to take on 3 giants alone.

If the rest chose to go down the nearest chimney, then Kahru would follow. But once they were inside - the Barbarian zealot was ready to rip the flesh of ogres

OOC: Oh Duvrael having Enemies Abound changes things, what would happen if it was cast into the Great Hall on the Hill giant king himself? Cause some real chaos as the king goes mad and slaughters his own:)

So, down the chimney?
I can cast on one of the giants or ogres, making them attack its allies, and when doing so I will use the Portent to replace their saving throw roll with the '4' I rolled earlier. :)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Thinking about the great hall and being at the peak of the roof, Kahru ventured to take a peek down the large smoke hole over the hall. The bonfire had died down to a smallish fire (though the pit was enormous) and he was able to look in without too much smoke in his face. The vaulted ceiling of the hall was supported with blackened rafters, and far below him (forty feet down), the hall was dimly lit by various low-burning iron braziers that hung from the rafters on chains. A few hill giants had put bedrolls down around the firepit, and one was crossing the hall. He could not see the entire room, but the party was over and there appeared to be no sign of the king, who likely had retired to his chambers.

OOC: I hate to tempt yet another egress, but it's possible to go in this way as well. I more mention this to make it clear that things have changed somewhat since Larry scouted. You waited until it got late.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
The Colonel, huddled under the loose thatch as the scouting takes place, scowls at Donnell. "Know your place, lad. You're right, we don't have a leader. And you're right, it's not me. I've led too many men to their deaths before. Surviving means carrying the burden of those that are lost. If you're lucky, and watch, you will find yourself carrying that burden too before too long."

He lets the others know: "I can get myself, and anyone i can carry, up to the guard house without climbing and silently. If we go that way, I think we can take them by surprise. , since if they are looking anywhere, it won't be from the roof. If we do that, we thin out reinforcements and if we do it quickly we might not alert those inside.

Whether or not we do that, I agree that down the chimney is the way to go. Duvrael's spell seems a great way to go for the main hall, and again would create a distraction that might allow us some opportunity. If our king shows up, I can try to banish him to another plane, and that would give us a minute to deal with the depleted forces. Again, Duvrael's portent might be useful for ensuring that hits home.

Whether we hit the guard tower or not is up to others. I can lead that attack there if you want, carrying anyone who can hold on to my back. Otherwise, let's make our way to the chimney. Donnell, you stick with me."

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"If I can cast that spell on one of the more powerful giants, perhaps even the king himself, then perhaps reinforcements will just think it an internal conflict," Duvrael grins coldly.

"With luck, they will not even suspect our presence. If they are sleeping, it could be that many of our opponents are killed without even waking up! The only obstacle is that I cannot focus on both that spell and on magical invisibility, so we will need to hide longer. And does anyone have a way to magically silence the hall?"

OOC: A vote to go down this chimney rather than take out the watchtower first. Although I'm fine with either plan.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Doc has been listening to the others with him. As he hears them talk, he silently takes another slug of whiskey. When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.

Not makin' a decision is a decision I'm not makin'.

Doc moves to the chimney, and begins to clamber down.

OOC:

Doc takes his rope back and fastens it to the chimney and climbs down the chimney. (Athletics at advantage, still proficient)

Doc stealthily hides toward the base.

Doc summons the fear of the souls who died when they were buried alive and plants it in the mind of the biggest, baddest thing he sees while hiding. (Enemies Abound @3rd Level warlock slot - 1 action, concentration up to a minute, critter gets int save)

Athletics check w/adv; Stealth check: 1D20+5 = [20]+5 = 25
1D20+5 = [16]+5 = 21
1D20+6 = [15]+6 = 21

ETA- "hides toward the base" = base of chimney at bottom

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Kaligan sees Doc head to the chimney and thinks, "Excellent!" He then moves towards the chimney himself and waits for Doc to reach the bottom, then he simply jumps in and lands lightly upon the floor of the chimney next to Doc and begins to look around as he steps out of the chimney to make room for the next person.

OOC: I'm assuming that we've been up there waiting long enough to get a short rest to refresh my Psi-Powered leap. If not, I will expend 1 psionic die to refresh it.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
OOC: I'm assuming that we've been up there waiting long enough to get a short rest to refresh my Psi-Powered leap. If not, I will expend 1 psionic die to refresh it.
OOC: Yeah, two hours cramped in the shadows between two chimneys in a V in the roof. In a light rain and growing dark and misty chill. Not nice, but restful enough.

Remove ads