(IC) Against the Giants PBP Group 2

FitzTheRuke

Legend
While Kahru was growing impatient and contemplating climbing through the smoke-hole to drop into the great hall, Doc decided he was through deliberating. He tied a rope to one of the chimneys that they had figured to belong to the kitchen, on the south side of their hiding place on the roof, hopped up on the stonework, and slid down into darkness.

Pleased that his plan was being implemented at last, Kaligan went next.

To avoid them bunching up at the bottom, Donnell offered to tie a rope to the northern chimney. They weren't sure if there would be a wall between them at the bottom (Larry would not go down these chimneys, as they were blazing hot during his scouting time) but the two chimneys were only twenty feet apart, which wasn't far at giant-size. They could rendezvous inside.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
As they had suspected, it was, in fact, the kitchen hearths. As such, there were various built-in contraptions for cooking - iron racks, hooks for hanging iron pots, extra stonework for oven compartments. Doc had stopped to work his way around them, not quite as out of the way as Kaligan had hoped, and there were more things to hook, catch, or burn yourself on (some of the iron was still hot). Kaligan had to catch himself short of landing on his feet, and he pressed against the wall to stop his fall.

This only made a small amount of noise come from the fireplace, but it was enough that Kaligan and Doc waited, listening for a moment, to see if anyone had heard. The kitchen was quiet - the only noise was the sound of someone loudly snoring, but quite far away from the hearth.

OOC: I'm going to let a few more come down (perhaps the other chimney) before the two of you can move an iron pot to make room to get out.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
OOC:
Given the lack of beasties, it looks like I've kept my spell slot. I'll remain in cover with revolver ready to go until the others descend.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
OOC:
Given the lack of beasties, it looks like I've kept my spell slot. I'll remain in cover with revolver ready to go until the others descend.
OOC: Well...I was gonna wait for a few others to be down, but...

When Doc was able to find a safe way through the obstacles without making a ruckus, he looked across an extremely large kitchen, dimly lit by low-burning iron braziers hanging from the rafters. The floor was packed dirt, swept flat, and several sleeping pallets had been laid out along the walls, next to tables, benches, and footstools. Some worktables were giant-sized, but others were man-sized. The sleeping pallets were occupied by orcs. Far across the room, one was snoring loudly. This meant that it was likely that at least one or two of the others were awake, tossing in their pallets.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
OOC: Here, have a map. Everyone not on this is still on the roof, but can come down before Doc or Kaligan should do anything more.

G2Kitchen0.jpg

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Donnell had finished tying off a second rope, and Kahru came down from the roof peak, eager to get into it with some giants after so much waiting. He shoved his way past Gimlak, who was about to go first down the second chimney (the Colonel was planning to go last, after Donnell, and Duvrael was working his way up onto the first chimney). Grabbing the rope from the dwarf, the big northman swung over the top of the chimney and began to slide.

In doing so, he dislodged a large stone that fell past him as he slid down the rope. Before he landed at the bottom, it had crashed into an iron pot and tumbled out onto the kitchen floor. Orcs sat up in their pallets (even the snoring stopped). They didn't immediately react to it as a threat - but Kahru, figuring that he'd revealed himself anyway, landed at the bottom and began knocking obstacles out of his way, scattering pots and turning out an iron grate.

OOC: That outta do it. I'd have the orcs "surprised" but it's going to take enough effort to get out of the kitchen fireplace that they'll at least start to stand. They're mostly unarmed, too, so it's not like you don't have them at a terrible disadvantage. Let's get @JustinCase Duvrael and @Steve Gorak to roll their athletics (start working their way down) and then I'll post a round-roller.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Gimlak goes down the rope as quietly as he can, and once down stares silently in the room and it turns dark.

OOC: Gimlak has proficiency in the climbing kit, so I added his proficiency to the roll: 12 or 8 if he can’t add proficiency
Stealth: 14

He’ll cast hunger of hadar psionically at the opposite end of the room, which will spare the group, but cover the orcs. Note that the orcs are now blind, so it should be tough to escape

Gimlak says : “don’t go into the darkness, let it do its work

OOC: sorry, the link didn’t save work for the rolls

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Orcs! the noisy Barbarian had not expected orcs, they were a whole different level of annoyance and one that he thought he’d left behind, there was no fun in slaughtering orcs.

Stay down, don’t move!” Kahru growled in giantish, loud enough to threaten but not to bellow. He figured that since stealth was blown anyway he may as well intimidate this lot into submission.
Kahru looked around to see if any of the orcs looked like a Boss, of course he didn’t know why the kitchens were filled with orcs but at least one of them should understand giantish ““we’re her for giants not you runts ” he continued ““so stay down you won’t get hurt

Of course that last statement might be a lie, especially with Gimlaks Abberant shadows, but that just made the threat more real...

OOC:
Intimidation: 1D20+3 = [7]+3 = 10
Or 13 if using Str Intimidation
This roller doesn’t like me :(

Last edited:

Remove ads