• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(IC) Against the Giants PBP Group 2

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Kahru spoke threateningly to the orcs, who stepped away from the man coming out of the fireplace. Then an inky blackness descended on the far side of the kitchen. Strange scraping noises and ominous, unintelligible chanting came from within, which was soon followed by the panicked cries of the orcs who were lost inside.

OOC: For the record, when a fight breaks out, I normally try to get everyone to wait until I call for each round with my "round roller" - like this:

GM: Encounter: Orcs of the Steading's Kitchen
G2Kitchen1.jpg

(General Features) Difficult Terrain: None; Visibility: Dim Light (Iron Braziers); Cover: Tables; Spells Hunger of Hadar (swirl)
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells (Etc) * (Notes)
(PCs)
Colonel AC19* HP 66/66 THP 13/13 HD 9/9 PP19* SSdc18 4/4 3/3 3/3 3/3 1/1 CD 2/2
Doc AC14 HP 84/84 THP 13/13 HD 9/9 PP20 SSdc16 2/2 Wls 4/4 Crs 1/1 PL 4/4 Wsp 1/1
Duvrael AC12(15) HP 56/56 THP 13/13 HD 9/9 PP15* SSdc17 4/4 3/3 3/3 3/3 1/1
Gimlak AC17 HP 68/68 THP 13/13 HD 9/9 PP12* SSdc17 4/4 3/3 3/3 3/3 1/1 SP 8/12
Kahru AC15 HP 83/83 THP 13/13 HD 9/9 PP16 SSdc14 4/4 3/3 3/3 WS 2/2 Rg 3/3 Stf 5/7
Kaligan AC18* HP 76/76 THP 13/13 HD 9/9 PP14 PD 8/8 DT 1/1 TK 1/1 AS 1/1 2W 1/1 ID 1/1
(NPCs)
Donnell AC19* HP29/29 THP 13/13 HD 4/4 AS 1/1 2W 1/1
Name * AC * HP * PP * (Notes)
(BGs)
Orcs (12) AC11 HP15ea PP10*
GM: Begin Round One

OOC: Kahru and Gimlak have gone, so don't do another turn for them until I post a call for round two! Everyone else can go. Duvrael and Donnell are still halfway up the chimney (15 foot climb) and the Colonel is on the roof (30 foot climb). Please audit my status bar for your character. I don't think I kept up.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Long, long years of studying magic are no help in building muscles. Sure, some of those spellbooks and tomes seem to weigh more than than the libraries they're in, but never did Duvrael have to carry such a monster for more than a few steps.

So different from holding himself up by a rope, dangling over a warm stove in a giant's fortress. The wizard feels the rope slip from his grasp, holding on just a little longer before realizing he cannot delay his inevitable fall any longer.

With a crash Duvrael falls amidst the cauldrons and pottery, alerting the orcs that people are coming down from both chimneys.

He loudly curses ropes, chimneys and giants in colourful Primordial words and phrases, then gets up and brushes the soot off his clothes.

Orcs. The kitchen staff are orcs. Only hill giants and ogres would even consider orcs in their kitchen, let alone trust the creatures to prepare their food.

With a sigh, the yuan ti takes out the components for his invisibility spell again, this time casting it at himself. Where the wizard stood just a moment before, now only the snake Hisss is visible before it quickly slithers off.

OOC: Athletics Duvrael: 1D20-1 = [7]-1 = 6

Then cast Invisibility again at myself. It lasts for up to an hour as long as I concentrate on it.

Duvrael AC15* HP 56/56 THP 13/13 HD 9/9 PP15* SSdc17 3/4 1/3 3/3 3/3 1/1 P 4,17
Reaction readied: Cast Shield spell when hit by an attack, increasing AC to 20 and potentially turning a hit into a miss.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Doc watches his companion, Kaligan, move toward the closest orc with his blade drawn while he remains hidden. From this position, he can see another Orc just past where Kaligan is going.

He feels the anger of a thousand trapped souls rise within him, and as his eyes flare up, Doc trains his furious vengeance upon the orc and begins firing.

OOC:
Doc AC14 HP 84/84 THP 13/13 HD 9/9 PP20 SSdc16 1/2 Wls 4/4 Crs 1/1 PL 4/4 Wsp 1/1

Doc is going to use bonus action HEX (-1 spell slot at 3rd level) on the orc past Kaligan and begin shootin'.
Hex- concentration, if target dies may switch with bonus, lasts 8 hrs, d6necro+disad

Unless specified otherwise, all targets will be disad on dex.

Attack w/ advantage; pistol damage; sneak attack; hex: 1D20+9 = [20]+9 = 29
1D20+9 = [13]+9 = 22
1D10+5 = [8]+5 = 13
2D6 = [5, 1] = 6
1D6 = [3] = 3

Um ... okay, not that it matter, but the crit means +d10 (crit) and +d10 (piercer) and +2d6 (sneak attack) and +d6 (hex)
Crit: 1D10 = [8] = 8
1D10 = [9] = 9
2D6 = [2, 2] = 4
D6 = =

And mistyped d6
Crit2: 1D6 = [4] = 4
So that's ... 47 from the first shot. Um... okay. I got nothing. This is surreal.

Some other orc, I guess? (Note- can't move hex this turn).

Second shot (no hex, no sneak, advantage because hiding this round): 1D20+9 = [6]+9 = 15
1D20+9 = [3]+9 = 12
1D10+5 = [1]+5 = 6

Reroll damage for pirrcer-
Piercer reroll: 1D10+5 = [7]+5 = 12

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The Colonel had watched Donnell disappear down into darkness and he wondered if he could keep the lad alive through this ordeal. Halfway down the chimney, at its darkest point, his mind's eye wandered to his worst of days. Suddenly, it was like he was there again - fire and ash - soldiers as young as Donnell, dead and dying. He reached out to one, and let go of the rope. He came to himself as he slammed into an iron pot and tore his overcoat on an enormous hook.

Then Donnell was there, helping him out of the fireplace. The lad had strapped on a large shield and a skull-cap helmet. He looked competent and ready. Perhaps he would live after all.

OOC: You should have had advantage on the climb, but since you needn't roll stealth ATM, really, I'll call it double-fumble. Colonel takes 11 damage (probably mostly from the hook, but also the fall).

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Kaligan was moving to cover the south exit when Doc began firin' from the shadows of the fireplace. Across the kitchen, an orc lost his head - quite literally. To Kaligan, the strange metal device (was it a wand?) in Doc's hand made a dull thud noise, and the orc's head went like a dropped egg. Fortunately, he was too buisy to be shocked, as he cut down the nearest orc and moved to head the next one off, who had grabbed a large knife off a table, and was running toward him, for the door. The thud noise happened again, but this time the targeted orc only staggered from the blow. Kaligan was satisfied to see that the first effect wasn't universal, even if he and Doc were on the same side.

OOC: Two dead orcs and one wounded (12 damage)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Two orcs chose to surrender to Kahru, at least for the moment, and they stepped back to the north wall next to a wood-pile. The third there ran, going around the corner to the north, where another orc was heading for the northern door. The doors were big, and even for an orc, it appeared to be some work to open them, but the orc managed it, revealing a dark dining room, probably a servant's mess.

Two orcs found their way free of Gimlak's inky blackness - one found himself cornered against the pantry wall, while the other joined the ones fleeing northward, though it showed signs of injury from multiple scratches. The others were lost in the darkness - one's cries were cut mercifully short.

There was a small (by giant standards) room in the kitchen's north-east corner. Its door was a simple hung animal skin, part of which was in the area of Gimlak's spell. Suddenly it was torn from it's hook and sucked into the inky darkness, with hungry chewing noises. The revealed room was dark, but held two giant-sized beds, with two giant-sized shadows rising quickly in a panicked frenzy.

OOC: Orcs in the Hunger: One dead, two escaped, two still lost. Damage recorded.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
The colonel stands, his ego bruised more than anything else, and limps his way towards the nearest orc. "Come, Donnell. None escapes."

OOC: Assuming he starts prone, he can stand and move 15' (rounding down for 35'). I don't think that gets him to an orc. If it does, he wiull attack. If not, he will continue to move towards one of the orcs. His purpose is to get in melee range, and hope it tries to escape the unarmed man; if it does, he will use his reaction to cast shocking grasp.

If Donnell can do the same with another one, he will. He'll even take a swing. The purpose is to lock them down so they don't escape.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Kaligan stutter steps as he is thrown off by Doc's weapon and demeanor. Never has he been this unsettled by someone. However, Kaligan is who he is and has learned how to control himself and his emotions. He quickly refocuses and moves steadfastly to intercept the remaining orc and keep anyone from escaping to the south.

OOC: If I can get to the orc and attack, Two longsword attacks: 1D20+8 = [5]+8 = 13
1D20+8 = [14]+8 = 22 Damage: 1D8+4 = [1]+4 = 5 1D8+4 = [1]+4 = 5 If he cannot reach the orc, he moves to stop the orc from escaping and readies an action to attack the orc if he tries to escape through the south doors.

Remove ads