(IC) Against the Giants PBP Group 2

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Gimlak moves with Kahru and when outside, he telekinetically lifts a stone and drops it to create a distraction. He then helps kahru with the gates, as silently as he can.

OOC: cast mage hand with 60 ft reach.
Stealth 16
 
Last edited:

log in or register to remove this ad

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Gimlak's attempted distraction did very little - the wolves looked in the direction of the sound, and then back to what they had been doing before, which was, one was following Kahru, while two more were following that one. The fourth, smallest wolf, had grown some interest in the Colonel and had moved toward him, growling.

Though Gimlak had managed to open the north-gate, Kahru was having trouble getting the wolves to run out it - they seemed reluctant to leave.

The others had carefully crossed the courtyard, hugging the southern end. The two orcs followed, still more prisoners than allies.

OOC: The young wolf will attack the Colonel soon if he fails to make a dc13 Cha (Animal Handling) check. No one else is close enough to stop it themselves, but if someone has a clever idea on how to help, I could be convinced to grant him advantage.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
OOC: Almost forgot: Here's a map!

G2Courtyard1.jpg
 

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
You are free friend ” Kahru spoke to the largest wolf in a low encouraging voice while indicating the gate “Go - none will keep you here - the gate is open -go- run to the wild

throughout the interaction Kahru kept his eyes on the three wolves, assessing their stance and behaviour, where there eyes focussed and if their signs showed aggression, caution, calm, fear or friendliness.

the wolves seemed relunctant to leave, could the druid tell by their movements just what was holding them back

 
Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
OOC: The young wolf will attack the Colonel soon if he fails to make a dc13 Cha (Animal Handling) check. No one else is close enough to stop it themselves, but if someone has a clever idea on how to help, I could be convinced to grant him advantage.
OOC: You can still take that 17 from my Portent! :)
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
It was his lucky day.

The Colonel hissed quietly and stopped the small wolf in its tracks. The two stared at each other before the dire wolf liiked away, and slunk off.

OOC: Animal handling: Portent of 17 + 5 = 22.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
It was fear of punishment that was holding the dire wolves from leaving the compound. Kahru could tell that they had been raised by the whip with a cruel hand. When the Colonel managed to out-alpha the curious youth, it rejoined the others. Reluctantly, but with slowly increasing boldness, they moved toward the exit. Gimlak stayed still by the gate, out of their way while Kahru reasured them.

They slowly headed for the gate, looking about nervously. As soon as they were through, they set out at a run, heading off into the misty darkness of the surrounding hills, where they bayed one long howl of freedom.
 

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Kahru watched as the dire wolves fled towards freedom, and in his core he felt the urge to run with them, back into the wild. As the pack disappeared into the night Kahru glanced at Gimlak and gave him a nod of thanks then turned back to the Steading of the Hill Giant Chief. A cruel hand had been restraining the wolves, beating them in to submission and the barbarian druid now had a new mission: to repay such cruelty in kind.

Cover me Gimlak” he asked before making a dash back towards the outbuildings door - perhaps he could find the pack in the hills after the companions had taken the giant kings head.

OOC: that was satisfying :)
Now Dash back to the Outbuilding entrance so next round I can drop a Tree in the doorway - then on to join the others
 
Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
OOC: In the end, that probably took five minutes, so feel free to imagine yourselves as repositioned. (Or in other words, pick where you are on the map and let me know what you've been up to).
 

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Doc watches the antics with the large wolves with studied bemusement, while moving into position by the door.

OOC:
Doc moves BC38.

A few housekeeping things-
1. We are storming the south door, right, and leaving the N (outhouse) for later? I'm good with anything.
2. @FitzTheRuke - I am going abroad Monday and will be largely out of pocket for the rest of the month. I may check in occasionally, but no guarantees. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTROL DOC until I return (~July 1, assuming they let me back in the country with the covid protocols). Here's his final stat line right now ...

Doc AC14 HP 83/84 THP 13/13 HD 9/9 PP20 SSdc16 1/2 Wls 2/4 Crs 1/1 PL 4/4 Wsp 1/1
*hex is active and using his concentration
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Done with the wolves, Kahru moved to the door to the outbuilding and planted his staff in the dirt in front of the door. The staff grew roots, and then branches that reached toward the night sky. It grew until it stood thirty feet tall, its branches hanging over the outbuilding's rooftop.

When that was done, it seemed time to try the east-wing door.

OOC: Anything you'd like to do before trying the door, post away (Other than Kahru!).
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
OOC: The Colonel can use Thaumaturgy to open the door, if that helps; alternately, if we like the bottleneck, he can cause earth tremors and see if anyone comes out.
 


FitzTheRuke

Legend
Having raised his tree, Kahru stood back and looked at his handiwork. A few things stood out as not quite to his satisfaction: 1) As it turned out, the outbuilding's doors opened inward. 2) The tree's trunk was only three feet wide (though the lower branches also obscured the doorway), while the doors were ten feet wide. A giant might struggle to get past, but it was not impossible. A smaller creature could do so without much trouble. 3) Finally, he wondered what would happen to his staff if a giant were to knock the tree down (or worse, chop it down).

OOC: @Tonguez As you can see, I gave some thought to the tree last night. I love the idea, but I'm not sure it will work as well as we might hope.
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Seeing Kahru's frown at his magical tree, Duvrael takes a bit of fleece from his pouch and waves it in a slowly smaller circle at the door. Wicked looking barbs, shining with what can only be painful venom, appear up and down the whole trunk of the tree.

"Just an illusion," he explains, "But it may slow them down long enough."

OOC: Casting the minor illusion cantrip on the tree. If there is time (it takes an Action) I will also move the magical sensor indoors to see if I can spot the Chief.

Duvrael AC15*(+5) HP 44/56 THP 0/13 HD 9/9 PP15* SSdc17 2/4 1/3 3/3 2/3 1/1 P 4
Reaction readied: Shield spell (AC +5) when attacked with an attack or with magic missile.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Having made the tree appear fiendish with barbs, Duvrael turned his attention to the door. After a moment's searching, he found a hole big enough to send his eye (and, if he decided, his snake familiar) through. Inside was a dimly-lit hallway that led to a large dark chamber. Immediately behind the door stood a hill giant, standing guard. To the right was a set of doors that led further into the steading. They eye would have to move past the giant to see further into the large chamber at the end of the short hallway.
 

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Kahru stood back and suveyed his handiwork which was further enhanced by Duvraels pointed illusion, the tree trunk did not fill the whole of the giant-accomodating doorway but it should slow down anyone inside long enough for the companions to sneak inside the east door and catch the Chief still sleeping.
He had considered what might happen if someone tried to chop the tree down, but he had faith that with stealth, luck and favour the company would get to the giant chief and back before the Outbuildings inmates were even aroused.

thank you old friend” the druid spoke to the new grown tree and glancing at the bushes around the buildings entrance considered asking them and the tree to extend and entwine their stalks and tendrils with the trunk and branches of the tree

the priority now though was getting inside the eastside door …

OOC:
OOC: @Tonguez As you can see, I gave some thought to the tree last night. I love the idea, but I'm not sure it will work as well as we might hope.
Yeah I was wondering about what the dimensions of the doors was, still 3 feet in the middle of the doorway is a block that will slow them down. Even if someone does get through, hopefully the open gate will distract them to go that direction rather than following us back inside:)

Also as suggested ic, the other option is to use a Speak with Plants to get the trees and bushes interacting to add difficult terrain to the doorway (or even a wall of thorns) but thats another action and the priority is to get the Chiefs head. As to the course of action now, I’ll take the guidance of our esteemed DM :p
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"There's a giant standing guard, just inside," Duvrael reports his findings to the others.

"I may be able to magically constrain it, although I've never attempted to do so from the other side of a closed door. In any case, we need a solution to it potentially raising an alarm."

OOC: @FitzTheRuke Many of my spells specify I must be able to see the target. Does the magical sight from Arcane Eye make it possible to cast a spell indoors while I am outside? And if so, how does that interact with my concentration, because both spells (I'm thinking about casting Hold Monster) take up concentration? Does it seamlessly go from one to the other, or does the first expire while casting the second spell?
 


Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
The Colonel, standing by the door, gestures to the others, with a finger to his lips and the shrug of a question: "Do we want silence?"
 

Dungeon Delver's Guide

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top