[IC] Evilhalfling's Dark Sun

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Dukkoti tells you all “I can’t go down into that hole” and shudders “I need to be free, good luck to you all, I’m going over the wall” “Ill go with you.” replies Cal and without waiting for the rest of you to join them, they disappear over the wall.

The tunnel crawlspace is really tight for Blaze and Chtckh, and relatively easy for Plool. Varsk tells you he will watch the rear, but its possible he didn’t enter the hole at all. The rest of you squirm through the dark earth, nearly blind as the light from behind is cut off by the bodies of your companions. After what seems like much too long a tunnel, Blaze feels the crawl space open up. He stands a small ball of fire appears in his hand. You emerge into a strange chamber it looks like the earth has split open into a rough sphere. This is as far as the escaping slaves got. The chamber is filled with desiccated corpses, they look like they have been dead for seasons, but not years. They are all half covered in dirt and small rocks. None of them seem to be wearing more than the loincloth of a slave.

Then a new form rises up from behind a low boulder, wearing black earth covered white robes, and a flowing cloak also coved in black mud. He wears a crystal symbol of a bird around his head.

He looks crushed, one arm smashed and his chest broken. There is no blood left in his decaying body. He holds a spear in one hand, tipped in METAL.

“ I can hear the air in your lungs, and feel the breeze stirred by your movements. It is unbearable. Your breathing and movement must cease at once. Forever!”

He gestures and one of the dead slaves is pushed to his feet by the rocks and earth, its eyes empty and lifeless as its head turns towards you.

GM: roll initiative. It looks like we lost 2 players, but if either wants to step back in, I can add their PC into the space F0. Varsk should also be joining back in when he can.


Map14.jpg
 
Last edited:

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
<Then a new form rises up from behind a low boulder, wearing black-earth covered white robes ..> edit

the dead are moving slowly.
GM:
initiative the dead : 1D20+2 = [6]+2 = 8
go ahead and resolve your actions, ill roll your PC saves if they are needed. Assume AC 15+ is a solid hit.
Terrain Notes:
F0 is the beginning of the crawlspace, and the ragged edge at C0, A1, B1 is a drop off into darkness - at least 10 feet. D0 looks like a tricky slope downward. The ceiling is dombed 8' at edges 15 at the center.
the low boulder (alter area) 18" tall, so its mostly only going to effect plool, but skill checks can be rolled to use it for advantage/ignore it for movement - if you think of a reason.
 
Last edited:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
“Ugh,” Plool's face twisted into a grimace. “Nothing worse than bad meat.”

Plool darts in next to the dead slave, and chops destructively into it with his axe! Then he follows up with a swift kick.

“ 'Cept maybe when it's trying to kill you!”

 
Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
From his time in the arena, Blaze has learned to seize an opportunity, and therefore he wastes no time when the dry, dead-looking creature emerges and starts talking The genasi spreads out his fingers in front of him and the small flame that was in his hand roars from him towards the robed figure over ten feet away.

"Great speech," the genasi says dryly as the warmth dies down again, and the former gladiator grabs his bone club and lazily moves up to his opponent.

OOC: Using my racial Reach To The Blaze ability to cast Burning Hands (1/LR), the cone directly aimed at the robed undead to avoid hitting any allies. It must make a DC 13 Dexterity saving throw or take 3d6 fire damage (and any flammable objects not carried or worn ignite). Successful save means half damage.

Then Blaze moves to D4, making sure it cannot get into melee with any others without provoking an opportunity attack from the barbarian.

burning hands fire damage: 3D6 = [6, 2, 1] = 9
 

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Plool delivers a devastating blow that practically cuts the dead slave in two, and his secondary blow is just enough to topple it. But the dirt and gravel draw the things abused flesh back together. And it strikes back at him clumsily, not even getting close to the nimble fighter.

Chtckh'Chtckh ‘s arrow cuts muscle and tendons, sending the spear tumbling to the ground, but his arm looks less bad than you expected.

Blazes fire burns the dead man’s dry flesh, roaring up briefly before going out.

The priest mutters and invocation “Darkest earth smite my enemies” – and his uninjured hand shines with black energy; and he reaches out for Blaze, who just barely dodges out of the way. His hand continues to shine.

GM:
Plool 16
Chtckh'Chtckh 14
Blaze 12
Undead 8
slave con save: 1D20+3 = [16]+3 = 19
dex ; str saves for the dead man. : 1D20+2 = [9]+2 = 11
1D20+2 = [10]+2 = 12

priests smiting blaze : 1D20+5 = [9]+5 = 14
Slam v Plool : 1D20+4 = [3]+4 = 7
Slave: -21 hp (after regen)
Priest -17 hp (after piecing resistance)
PCs unwounded
forgot a roll, still sad.
retrieving the spear is a standard action, but with enough acrobatics...

round2.jpg
 
Last edited:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
“'Darkest earth?'” Plool apprehensively quoted the dead man, while watching the corpse before him being melded back into one lump of flesh by the dirt itself. “I think” he reasoned “we have to get these... things... away from this ground!”

Plool's body moves instinctively as he formulates a plan. Peeling away from the rebuilt slave, he vaults over the boulder to pick up the dropped spear, then makes his way to the cliff edge.

“Oh please let this work.” He mutters, before taking a deep breath and shouting “OY! IS THIS IMPORTANT, ROT-BREATH?”
OOC: Using 1 Ki for Step of the Wind to disengage.
Moving to B-2, past the Dead guy to pick up the spear and taunt him with it.
Acrobatics: 1D20+5 = [5]+5 = 10

To clear the boulder.
 

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
The two blows chip away at the undead priest. Bloodied, he stumbles when Blaze connects and the black shine around his hand fades away.

Then he stomps and the earth ripples out in a 10’ patch catching Chtckh, and knocking him down but Plool jumps in time to avoid the worst of it. But the area that they are both standing in is broken and cracked, making movement difficult. The priests shifts his feet slightly. The undead slave creeps up behind Blaze and batters at him uselessly.

round3.jpg

GM:
Concentration checks to maintain spell – nope!
Dc 10, DC 7 : 1D20+2 = [8]+2 = 10
1D20+2 = [1]+2 = 3

url=CoyoteCode Dice Roller Save : Thrikreen +3, plool +5 : 1D20+3 = [8]+3 = 11
1D20+5 = [13]+5 = 18
[/url]
slave : 1D20+4 = [9]+4 = 13

Slave: -21 hp
Priest -24 hp (after resistance) @less than ½ hp
Plool 19/24 hp
Chtckh 17/28 hp – prone.
 

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
“Well, that didn't work.” Plool grumbled. Plool looks back to Chick, and suggests “Lets bash him a few more times, then throw him off!” Before clambering back into the melee, looking to stick the dead-man with his own spear, and throwing in a few follow up kicks.
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Ignoring the zombie slave behind him, Blaze narrows his fiery eyes and grabs his club with both hands. The flame that was in his off hand dances along the length of bone as the genasi swings it at the undead priest with great ferocity.

OOC: Using Reckless Attack to grant myself advantage on my attacks. It also means that enemies have advantage on attacks versus me.

Blaze reckless attack with bone club:
2D20.HIGH(1)+4 = [7, 10]+4 = 14
1D6+2 = [1]+2 = 3

:confused:
 

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Plool stabs the spear into the rocks, and while a lesser weapon would have broken, the iron weapon merely strikes sparks. The priest leaps to avoid the spear, shying away from it, and is caught by one kick which has almost no effect.
Chtckh’s sword fairs little better, delivering only a shallow cut to the deadman’s flesh.
Blazes club also leaves little impact.

The priest stomps and again the ground ripples around the halfling and the insectile warrior. But this time both can see it coming and leap to avoid the worst of the shrapnel. But Chtckh’s legs are sore and bleeding. The Priest points at Plool – “End Him!” and the dead slave moves around blaze to attack. The dead slave paws uselessly at him.

Unseen in the darkness, a human floats along the ceiling, pulling himself toward the struggling ex-slaves.

The halfling and the man with the flaming head are both dressed in simple but matching grey tunics. While the thri-kreen wears only a weapons harness. The trikreen and halfling are both wounded. The zombie slave is barely clinging to existence, but zombies sometimes keep fighting long after they should.
The other undead is clearly a priest, but the dead on Athals have highly individual powers and strengths.
The scene is lit by a burning corpse (C6) caught in an earlier blast of fire. The floating man feels a slight breath of air as he moves along the wall, perhaps another passage. (A’,-4)

GM:
Dex Save : Thrikreen +3, plool +5: 1D20+3 = [15]+3 = 18, 1D20+5 = [17]+5 = 22 5 damage from erupting earth.
Slam v Plool : 1D20+4 = [3]+4 = 7

Slave: -21 hp
Priest -29 hp (after resistance) @less than ½ hp
Plool 14/24 hp
Chtckh 13/28 hp

round4.jpg
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"Enough!" yells Blaze, and a wave of heat rises from the former gladiator, scorching all around him.

At the same time, a dangerous look comes into the genasi's eyes, as he seems bigger and more threatening to all within his reach - which is everyone except for the mysterious floating man in the darkness.

With reckless abandon, Blaze starts clubbering the undead priest in front of him. He cannot seem to land a hit, which only increases his burning anger...

OOC: Entering Rage - which also means activating my Storm Aura. Everyone within 10 feet (which includes allies, sorry!) takes 2 fire damage. No save.

I thought entering Rage is an Action, but re-reading the PHB, I find that it's a Bonus Action! That means I also Attack. Recklessly, of course. :)

Blaze reckless attack in rage:
2D20.HIGH(1)+4 = [8, 9]+4 = 13
1D6+4 = [1]+4 = 5
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
Chtckh did not like fire. He clacked his mandibles in protest and scuttled away, risking an attack by the dead priest - though he held his obsidian sword ready to hack at the dead-thing's arm, should it reach for him. When he was safely at distance, he used his upper-arms again to fire his bow through the crowd, hoping to finish the thing off.

OOC: HP 11/28; Move to C1 (Provoking)
Reaction (only if DeadPriest melee attacks and misses): Repost (Maneuver):Sword: 1D20+5 = [2]+5 = 7 for 1D6+3 = [3]+3 = 6 & Superiority Die 1d8 = [6]=6
(What a waste.) SupDice 2 (or 3 if it doesn't happen)/4
Action: Bow: 1D20+7 = [7]+7 = 14 for 1D8+3 = [3]+3 = 6
Let me know if any of that is unclear.
 

Advertisement

Top