D&D 5E (IC) Rise of the Dracolich

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Western Lair

Loklafd found that his hands were shaking as he struggled to light the torches. He got it done, but it took all the tricks that his mother had taught him to get them to flame in this bitter cold.

Sesto coughed, lying on his back on the icy ground. He was pierced by ice-shards, but his brightly glowing shield lay on top of him. Lorenn couldn't see the dragon through the fog, and the terror that gripped him didn't seem so bad. There was a troll climbing up the wall to get him (he was perched on his flying board near the ceiling) so Lorenn kicked his board into flight and swooped down over Sesto. He pulled a healing potion from his belt and he poured it on the cleric's shard-wounds, which slowly closed as Sesto regained his senses.

Primus switched his senses so he could see his immediate surroundings just in time for a large frozen, undead troll was about to swipe a claw at him. He reached into its mind (or what remained of it - a sorrowful echo of a mind, easy enough for the psychic to pierce). The undead troll waved its arms about, as if trying to swat away an invisible threat, and left Primus alone for the moment.

Another undead troll came around the ice-shelf where Alhana and Loklafd were sheltering. The elf shot it with a well-placed arrow (her other arrow broke as it struck a particularly solid patch of frozen flesh) but the creature came on. Alhana made the split-second decision to hold her ground and shield Loklafd with her body, and the undead was on her, scratching and biting as she cried out in spite of herself.

OOC: Still Kalorn, the few remaining Berzerkers, and unfortunately, the Dracolich to go to roll the round...

GM:
(Allies)
Loklafd stayed & lit 2 torches
Sesto made a death save
Lorenn dashed (cunning, flying) to (AH32) & healed Sesto for 12 (potion)
Primus stayed & did 15 psychic (Ego Whip) damage to Skragg3
Alhana
stayed & did 18 (bow) damage to Skragg1
(Enemies)
Skragg1 moved to (AQ30) & did 9 (claw) & 5 (bite) damage to Alhana
Skragg2
climbed down & dashed to (S35)
Skragg3 stayed & dodged

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
OOC: I'm going to describe what Kalorn is trying to do, but I'm not 100% sure if it's doable.

I'm assuming that the undead troll between Kalorn and Sesto, and although said troll is not illuminated by Sesto's glowing shield, that the troll is silhouetted, ie Kalorn is aware of it's presence. So the plan is to walk up near the troll then cast thunder step to blast the troll and teleport to Sesto. If getting the troll is not possible, then getting to Sesto is more important.

Kalorn saw the outline of the undead troll. He walked purposefully towards it, sword in high guard. However, once he was neared it, he muttered "shadows take me" and slammed the ground with his left leg, vanishing through the floor as a loud explosion resonated, blasting the area

Thunder step, con save for half damage, DC 15: 3D10 = [7, 10, 2] = 19

He appeared besides Sesto. Holding his sword high with his left hand, he briefly fumbled with a vial, popped it open and poured its content down his throat.

"Get up priest!" he said in a low but urgent voice "we need you"

Healing potion onf Sesto, using action surge: 2D4+2 = [1, 1]+2 = 4

@Prickly Pear you're back! made good use of it!

He moved away from Sesto, in the hope that they wouldn't make too tempting a target for the dragon...

Kalorn of Mulmaster, the cursed sell-sword (Fighter(eldrich knight) 3/Warlock(hexblade) 5; alt-human, soldier)
HP: 63/63, Hit dice: 3/3 fighter, 4/5 warlock
Temp HP: 15/15 (ARMOR OF AGATHY
AC: 16 Temp AC:
Passive Perception 15
Saves: Str: +5, Dex: -1, Con: +5,2Int: +0 , Wis: +2, Cha: +4
Warlock slots remaining = 0/2. EK slots remaining = 2/2
Action surge = 0/1. Second wind = 1/1, hexblade curse = 1/1
Potions of healing remaining: 6

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Western Lair

Karlon hobbled up to the nearest drowned troll and stomped his strange leg, creating a loud thunderous noise that both rattled the undead creature, cracking some of its frozen meat, and teleported the swordsman off the treasure-shelf. He reappeared next to the fallen Cleric, and he helped Sesto to his feet while feeding him a healing potion.

The ice covering the nearby seawater pool cracked apart, and Oggsbruff climbed out, followed by one of Lorenn's summoned northmen. Through chattering teeth, the northman called to his few remaining kinsmen (in an old dialect related to Reghed) and the berzerkers pulled back, attempting to find a way to be more useful in this battle than to simply die one after the other, against the might of the dragon.

Old Icy Death flew out of sight into the deeper parts of the lair, leaving his undead minions to do the task of dispatching the invaders while he built up the magical energy needed for another ice-blast.

GM:
(Allies)
Kalorn did 19 (thunder) damage to Skragg1
& teleported to (AJ31) & healed 4 (potion) Sesto
Oggsbruff
climbed out of the water & moved to (AM34)
Berzerker1 climbed out of the water & moved to (AL32)
Berzerker3 dashed to (AP33)
Berzerker9 dashed to (AU41)
(Enemies)
Old Icy Death failed to recharge his breath weapon & moved (out of sight) to (AN55)
Skragg4 dashed (out of sight) to (AB56)
Skragg1 dc15 Con Save vs Kalorn's Thunderstep
Con Save: 1D20+5 = [2]+5 = 7
Dracolich Breath Recharge (Nope)
Breath Recharge: 1D6 = [2] = 2

FitzTheRuke

Legend
GM: Encounter: Imani's Agents & Oggsbruff vs Old Icy Death in his Lair on Oyaviggaton
IceLairW8.jpg

Locations:
(BGs)IcyDeath (AN55); Skragg1 (AQ30); Sk2 (S35); Sk3 (AX37); Sk4 (AB56)
(PCs)Alhana (AS32); Kalorn (AJ32); Lorenn (AH32); Primus (AW37); Sesto (AI32)
(NPCs)Oggsbruff (AM34); Loklafd (AT33); Eko (AD31); Sooty (Dead); KZombies (Destroyed)
(Berzerkers)B1 (AL32); B3 (AP33); B9 (AU41); (Rest are Dead)
(Spells) Sesto's Mace (AB35); Lorenn's Fire Orb (AE42);
Encounter: Mord & Ice Trolls vs Cult of the Dragon in East Lair of Oyaviggaton
IceLairE8.jpg

Locations:
(BGs)Arrufel (CL31); DF1 (CN24); DF2 (CU34); DW1 (CO28); DW2 (CR29); DW3 (CV30); DW4 (CX34);
(BGs)Skragg5 (BT36); Sk6 (BX36);
(PCs)Mord (CE42); (NPCs)MT1 (CJ37); MT2 (CI35);
(Trolls)Sargloth (CM33); Ooga (BZ37); Blurcho (CS35); Oodna (BZ35); IT3 (CM39); IT4 (CY44)
Visibility (Dark & Foggy) Darkvision 60'=40' (120'=80'), Light (Sesto & Loklafd) 30'ra (15/15).
Terrain Difficult (Everywhere) (Crampons/Claws ignore) (Slide w/ dc11 Acrobatics).
Elevation 8' per colour (darker at bottom) (Down = 15' move; Up = 15' & dc15 Athletics)
(See OOC post#1034 for details)
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Alhana AC17 HP 15/68 HD 8/8 PP14*
Kalorn AC16(21)* HP 63/63 THP2/5 HD 8/8 PP15 WSS 1/2 EKSS 2/2 (No Fear)
Lorenn AC17(20) HP 54/54 HD 8/8 PP14* SS 2/4 2/3 3/3 Song 2/2 (Mirror)
Mord AC14 HP 45/51 HD 8/8 PP11* SS 2/2
Primus AC12(16) HP 35/59 HD 8/8 PP19 Psi(6) 27/44 (Fear)
Sesto AC18* HP 0/59 HD 8/8 PP15 SS 4/4 2/3 2/3 2/2 CD 1/2 (Light, No Fear) (Dying)
(NPCs)
Loklafd AC14 HP 15/58 HD 9/9 PP12
Eko AC11 HP 1/1 PP13*
Sooty AC12 HP 0/1 PP11* (Gone)
Mordtroll1 AC12 HP 28/39 PP9*
Mordtroll2 AC12 HP 23/39 PP9*
KoboldZombies AC9 HP 0/13 PP8* (Destroyed)
(Trolls)
Oggsbruff AC17 HP 20/105 PP13* (No Fear)
Sargloth AC18 HP 59/84 PP12* (Regen off)
Oogabooga AC16 HP 78/84 PP12*
Blurcho AC16 HP 60/84 PP12* (Frightened) (Regen off)
Oodnadatta AC16 HP 84/84 PP12*
Ice Troll3 AC16 HP 84/84 PP12* (Frightened)
Ice Troll4 AC16 HP 84/84 PP12* (Frightened)
(Berserkers)
Berserker1 AC13 HP 4/67 (Fear, Ex2)
Berserker3 AC13 HP 4/67 (Fear, Ex1)
Berserker9 AC13 HP 6/67 (Fear)
Name * Damage Taken * (Notes)
(BGs)
Old Icy Death 68;
Wyrmsoul Arrufel 44;
Dragonfang1 0; DF2 18;
Dragonwing1 0; DW2 0; DW3 0; DW4 20;
Skragg1 59; Sk2 0; Sk3 15; Sk4 0; Sk5 68; Sk6 69;
End Round Seven; Begin Round Eight

gargoyleking

Adventurer
His enire body shaking with the cold and numbed from exposure, Loklafd managed to get both torches lit. Then taking one in each hand he stepped up to the Skragg abd tried to attack it. Unfortunately, he was still stiff from his wounds and both attacks went wide.

Dual-torches: 2#1d20+5 9 7 2#1d4+3 5 6
Figures, try something new and roll crap to do it. Oh well.

tglassy

Adventurer
(Primus can teleport 20 ft per Psi point, as long as he can see the destination, as a bonus action. How many psi points would he need to spend to be able to see the dragon? He still has his sensor, so he can see through that.

Alternatively, he can teleport up to six people to a spot his sensor can see. Can his sensor see the dragon, or so I need to move that?)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
OOC:
(Primus can teleport 20 ft per Psi point, as long as he can see the destination, as a bonus action. How many psi points would he need to spend to be able to see the dragon? He still has his sensor, so he can see through that.

Alternatively, he can teleport up to six people to a spot his sensor can see. Can his sensor see the dragon, or so I need to move that?)

Ah I thought his sensor disappeared when he switched to seeing the Skragg. If it's still around he will need to move it to find the dragon. I think the best thing is for you to tell me how far/what direction and I will tell you if he finds the Dracolich. (The dragon could be heard flying south-eastward). Then you can decide about the teleport.

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Mord instructed the skeletons to surround and attack Arrufel the first stumbled past him to the other side and clumsily swiped at the man while the other ambled up and seemed strike the cultist while he was distracted. Then Mord followed up with a pair of blasts, hoping to take out the enemy leadership.

Claw (1each): 2#1d20+5 12 19 2#2d6+3 12 10

Eldritch Blast: 2#1d20+8 19 11 2#1d10+4 14 14

tglassy

Adventurer
OOC:

Ah I thought his sensor disappeared when he switched to seeing the Skragg. If it's still around he will need to move it to find the dragon. I think the best thing is for you to tell me how far/what direction and I will tell you if he finds the Dracolich. (The dragon could be heard flying south-eastward). Then you can decide about the teleport.

OOC: No, the sensor is just Concentration, the Darkvision is his Focus. It's one of those things about the Mystic where they were trying to give them two things to focus on and it just got wonky. They were talking about just letting the Psion be able to use their Concentration on two things at once, to give them a little something, but we'll see what comes from it when they finally release it.

Either way, the main problem here is it takes an action to move the sensor. So what I'm going to do is use a bonus action, and a psi point or two, to teleport somewhere near my friends but not in range of baddies (if possible), then I'll use an Action to move the Sensor 30 ft towards the Dragon. My plan is to get the Sensor where I can see the Dragon, and on my next move teleport everyone to the Dragon to just wail on it.

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
WHAM!!!
Suddenly everything went strange in the narrow passage. Oodnadatta couldn't move very fast and he just managed to swipe once at the body in front of him. The skragg seemed slow too.
Oodnadatta tried to shake off this strange feeling but it persisted.
Come on, MOVE, he wanted to shout but the words only came out as a stutter.

Remove ads