log in or register to remove this ad

 

D&D 5E (IC) Scourge of Daggerford

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
Everything happened so quickly. First the orcs gathered around the red wizard, while Lionel sliced the nearest orc in the thigh. Next there was total darkness and suddenly there was a thunderous sound that stung his ears badly. This was not the place to stay, Lionel decided and after one more strike at the orc, he followed the wall out of the darkness and back to the group at the entrance. His nimble escape was aided by the darkness that even the orcs could not see through.

Con Save Thunderwave: 1D20+3 = [6]+3 = 9 Fail, so Lionel takes 24 (?) thunder damage (third level Thunderwave is 3d8, right? and therefore 24 for max damage?) but does not get pushed back 10 ft due to the wall behind him (?).
Action: Short sword attack (disadvantage) and damage: 2D20.LOW(1)+7 = [19, 10]+7 = 17, 1D6+4 = [6]+4 = 10
Move: Lionel follows wall and stops at Q39. Orcs' darkvision can’t see through the darkness spell and therefore can't make Attack of Opportunity.
Bonus Action: Pull up hood and turn into a wolf.
Reaction: Uncanny Dodge, if necessary.
(A creature with darkvision can’t see through the darkness spell, and nonmagical light can’t illuminate it.)
EDIT: Once back at the group, Lionel pulled up the hood of the wolf-pelt cloak and transformed into a wolf. He let out a long howl and was ready for next attack.
 
Last edited:

log in or register to remove this ad

MetaVoid

Adventurer
OOC: ideally, Lionel is NOT targeted. Thunderwave is 15' square IIRC and full front attack covers 3 squares in front of Vairar leaving Shalendra, Darfin, Lionel and one orc on the edges.
But it is dark in the darkness - so I gave our DM an option to fu** my aim :)

I added targeted squares in the action post
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Tommi, with tears in his eyes, tried in vain to get through Shalendra's defenses. Suddenly, most of the chamber went darker than night. Viarar marched forward, disappearing into the darkness toward the crowd of orcs. Then, there was a deafening boom that rang in everyone's ears. Angis came up beside Tommi, and he shouldered his way in. As Angis swung his axes, it appeared that Shalendra would block with her magical shield, but Escella, from her position at the entry, pulled the magical energy toward herself, and the shield failed.

Angis thrust the butt of one axe into the elf lady's stomache, knocking the wind out of her. As she stumbled forward, he brought the flat of his axe down on the back of her head, and she hit the ground hard, nose-first.

The Red Wizard had been heading for the northern portal when the darkness fell around him. He was in a crowd of orcs and as disciplined as they were (a well-trained army) they were orcs. When they found themselves plunged into darkness, they grew confused, and they wouldn't move to let him through. Vairar walked right into one. It didn't attack, but it pushed him back. Vairar well recognised the smell of a nearby orc, and he blasted the group with thunder and fury.

Escella could see the whole thing while the others couldn't. The orcs and the Red Wizard flew about like pins at a faire. They smashed into the wall (a few were thrown through the portal gate). All lay still at Vairar's feet.

Lionel had been lucky. As soon as he couldn't see, he had rolled to his left, following the curve of the wall. He felt the orc's huge sword swoosh over his head and Viarar's blast had added momentum to his roll, but he was unharmed when he came to his feet near the east portal. He could hear orcs coming out of that portal. Many orcs were chanting and banging their shields through the gate. Perhaps hundreds, he couldn't be sure. As he tried to find his way through the darkness, an orc bumped into him. He stumbled out into the light to watch that orc charge toward Talynen, though the elf saw him coming just in time and ducked the sword swing.

Orcs would soon be pouring through the east gate if they didn't find a way to close it.

Lionel pulled up the hood of the wolf-pelt cloak that he had won from Titus in a game of cards, and he shifted into the form of a wolf.

OOC: Vairar kills all the orcs but TO6, who blindly missed Lionel (as did the Thunderwave); Red Wizard died. Tommi missed and took 6 from the fire, but Angis knocked out Shalendra (because Escella countered her shield spell); More orcs are coming through the east gate. O7 just missed Talynen. Lionel turned into a wolf. It's not quite over yet.
 
Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
GM: Encounter: Doughty Daggerfordians vs Shalendra, a Red Wizard & a Thayan Orc Army
FloshinPortal4.jpg

(General Features) Difficult Terrain: None; Visibility: Dim Light
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Angis AC14(15) HP 21/58 HD 2/6 PP15* SS 2/4 2/2
Escella AC14 HP 8/33 HD 1/6 PP18 SS 2/4 1/3 1/2 SP 5/5 (Str-2)
Lionel AC16 HP 47/51 HD 5/6 PP14 (Str-4)
-Wolf AC13 HP 11/11 PP13*
Tommi AC14 HP 9/39 HD 3/6 PP17 (Str-4)
Vairar AC18*(20*) HP 21/45 HD 2/6 PP13* SS 1/4 2/3 2/3
(NPCs)
ORB5 AC13(18) HP 0/10 PP14* Shock+5,2d8; SS 1/3 fly60 (Broken)
Talynen AC17 HP 16/52 PP12* L1/1 (Str -6)
Name * AC * HP * PP * (Notes)
(BGs)
Shalendra AC19* HP 0/49 (out) PP14* SS 2/4 1/3 1/3
Red Wizard AC16 HP 0/33 (dead) PP11 SS 2/4 2/3 0/3 dc14
Orc Bodyguards AC16 HP32ea PP10*
-OB1 0/32 (dead) OB2 0/32 (dead)
Thayan Orcs AC16 HP16ea PP10*
-TO1 0/16; TO2 0/16; TO3 0/16;
-TO4 0/16; TO5 0/16; TO6 5/16;
-TO7 16/16; TO8 16/16; TO9 16/16;
GM: End Round Three; Begin Round Four
 

"Variar!" Escella yells. "You killed all but one of them. He's on your right. But more orcs are coming in here from the east portal. Anyone have any idea how we close the portal?"
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Angis Honack
Floshin Estates/Corallon shrine
Morning
Round 4

“Don’t know nothin’ ‘bout portals,” Angis told Escella as he stood over the unconscious Shalendra. “That’s a wizard thing. Got a huntin’ trap I could put in front o’ it, if I could see the damn thing.”

Angis walked over to the one remaining orc he could see, the one attacking Talynen. “This is Lord Darfin’s portal. Mebbe he can close it.”

Then Angis laid into the dwarf with his axes, though he failed to connect.

***

Hunter’s Mark (Shalendra) (37r)

Mounted Crossbow: +6 2d6+Dex 100/400
Bolts: 55
Bolts used:

Marauding gnolls (Ardeep Forest, noble hunting party hostage)
Orcs in the north (Harpshield Castle, Floshin Estate, Newfield)
Lizardfolk with steel weapons and armor (Rock Tower, Crom’s Hold)

Save:
Move: To P37
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Attack 1: Attack Orc7
Battleaxe hunters mark: 1D20+5 = [4]+5 = 9
1D8+1D6+2 = [6]+[1]+2 = 9

Attack 2: Attack Orc7
Battleaxe hunters mark: 1D20+5 = [7]+5 = 12
1D8+1D6+2 = [2]+[4]+2 = 8

Bonus Action: Move Hunter’s Mark to Orc7
Horde Breaker:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Battleaxe hunters mark: 1D20+5 = [18]+5 = 23
1D8+1D6+2 = [4]+[2]+2 = 8

Hunter’s Mark, if applicable:
Concentration: Hunter’s Mark Orc7
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Initiative: +1
Perception: +5
Speed: 30
AC: 14/15 (dual wield)
HP: 21/58 HD: 2/6d10+2

Bolts: 50
Bolts used:
Handaxes: 2/2

Spells
1) 2/4 Absorb Elements, Cure Wounds, Hunter’s Mark
2) 2/2 Pass Without Trace
Primal Awareness (cast each spell once per long rest): Speak with Animals, Beast Sense
4/4 Boon of the Elk. Can cast Knock four times (without the loud sound) as an Action. Until he uses the last one, non-good aligned Fey count among his Favoured Enemies.


Vairar - elven cleric
Tommi - human rogue urban bounty hunter
Dandin - halfling bard guild merchant
Angis Honack - dwarven ranger outlander merchant
Titus - human Waterdhavian noble fighter
Lionel - halfling rogue folk hero
Escella - Human sorcerer
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
The pain is intense as the fire spreads and catches on Tommi's hair. Have you smelled human hair burning before? Smelled it up close? The putrid acid will never wash through your memory, as your body responds viscerally. It's different than other animal hair. Somehow it taps into the same violent taboos of cannibalism or incest -- it's the smell of sin.

Yet again, Tommi fears he might be dying. There are so many soldiers here, if he shuld lose consciousness, it would be trivial for one of them to kill him. Slit his throat as they pass through this realm. His mother would never forgive him.

Shalendra has fallen, no thanks to him. Gutter yearned to taste orc flesh, or better yet the flesh of an ally. That awful smell persisted, and grew with the pain. And there was Lord Darfin. Were his eyes open? Tommi remembered when he was first shown the room, and how he had been asked to close his eyes

"Darfin! How do we close the portal?" he called. And he hopes for an answer. He moves to the low pedestal in the center of the room. On which stood a statue of an elf in chain mail, leaning on a longsword. Is this how the statue had appeared to him when he had guarded it the night before? He remembered how troubled she had seemed. Maybe the statue base turns, or the arms move. He hopes to find a solution, quick. For the benefit of others, "It's something to do with this statue," he says, unsure if anyone would listen to him.

In seconds the pain is too much, and he bolts from the room, fearing his collapsed body will be too much of a liability for his friends. The smell of sin follows him.

OOC: Con save vs. DC 14. 1d20+1=4 FAIL. TOMMI KEEPS BURNING -- 6 points fire damage. (not able to be reduced with u-dodge, I think).
Move: 15' to the statue.
Action: work the statue: Insight? (remembering what Shalendra had done the night before; when he had rolled 26 on his insight roll) Thieves' Tools? He does what he can, but he doesn't want to be an obstacle for his companions.
Remainder of Move: 15' south towards the door. [[EDIT: He'll only flee if he's not somehow holding the portal closed.]]
Bonus: Dash (if not used trying to work the statue, and so out the door) to O41 (?).

HP: 3/39. Reaction yet to be used. 1 stone.
 
Last edited:

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
The smell of burning hair is overpowering to Lionel's new-gained senses. He rushes up to Tommi and in one sweeping motion put outs the flames with his wolf-pelt cloak.

OOC: Lionel uses a bonus action to pull down the wolf-pelt cloak hood and, as an action, uses the wolf-pelt cloak to smother the flames.
 

MetaVoid

Adventurer
Still going by memory, Lord Darfin being somewhere on his left, Vairar raises his shield to prevent hitting a wall head first and walks crab-like until he hits the wall or emerges from the darkness. Once he sees the chained lord, he focuses his aura of vitality on the elven lord.

"Wake up, my lord, you are needed!"

Move: to the left until either the wall is hit (in which case he goes backwards) or he can see Darfin
Bonus: Healing: 2D6 = [2, 3] = 5
Action: ready booming spear to attack anything looking threatening entering his reach

OOC: good thing Lionel changed back, Vairar didn't see him change and he DID see wolves with the orcs.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Escella directed everyone's attention to the task at hand, asking how to close the portals. Angis suggested Lord Darfin, but was too busy hacking at orcs to look into it himself. Two more orcs came rushing out of the darkness and they hacked at Angis with big swords. An orc hacked its sword deep into Talynen's shoulder, and the elf fell to the ground. Escella could see four more orcs come through the portal, but luckily they took some time to understand where they were and what was happening.

Distressed, on fire, and confused, Tommi tried to remember what he had seen the night before. Something about standing in the middle? He tried to move to the center of the room, but he couldn't see. Were his eyes closed? The pain was unbearable, and he thought for a moment to flee the room. But his friend Lionel was suddenly there, and put the fire out with a fur pelt. Lionel took Tommi by the shoulders and moved him back into the light, to the far side of the room where it was safest.

Vairar found his way through the darkness and stood over Shalendra's unconscious form. His magic woke Sir Darfin, and the elf lord struggled in his magical bonds, saying, "Get me to the middle of the room or get me out of this!"

Suddenly an orc burst out of the darkness beside them, but Vairar was ready...

OOC: Talynen is down from a 17 damage crit! Angis took 8 & 10; Vairar can make that readied attack; Lionel put Tommi out, who's "safe" (if being at 3 HP can be called safe); Darfin is awake!
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
GM: Encounter: Doughty Daggerfordians vs Shalendra, a Red Wizard & a Thayan Orc Army
FloshinPortal5.jpg

(General Features) Difficult Terrain: None; Visibility: Dim Light (Swirl is Darkness Spell)
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Angis AC14(15) HP 3/58 HD 2/6 PP15* SS 2/4 2/2
Escella AC14 HP 8/33 HD 1/6 PP18 SS 2/4 1/3 1/2 SP 5/5 (Str-2)
Lionel AC16 HP 47/51 HD 5/6 PP14 (Str-4)
Tommi AC14 HP 3/39 HD 3/6 PP17 (Str-4)
Vairar AC18*(20*) HP 21/45 HD 2/6 PP13* SS 1/4 2/3 2/3
(NPCs)
ORB5 AC13(18) HP 0/10 PP14* Shock+5,2d8; SS 1/3 fly60 (Broken)
Talynen AC17 HP 0/52 PP12* L1/1 (Str -6)
Name * AC * HP * PP * (Notes)
(BGs)
Shalendra AC19* HP 0/49 (out) PP14* SS 2/4 1/3 1/3
Red Wizard AC16 HP 0/33 (dead) PP11 SS 2/4 2/3 0/3 dc14
Orc Bodyguards AC16 HP32ea PP10*
-OB1 0/32 (dead) OB2 0/32 (dead)
Thayan Orcs AC16 HP16ea PP10*
-TO1 16/16; TO2 16/16; TO3 16/16;
-TO4 16/16; TO5 NA; TO6 5/16;
-TO7 16/16; TO8 16/16; TO9 16/16;
GM: End Round Four; Begin Round Five
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Angis Honack
Floshin Estates/Corallon shrine
Morning
Round 5

Con saves: 1D20+2 = [11]+2 = 13
1D20+2 = [6]+2 = 8


Angis grunted as he took two heavy blows from the Thayan orcs that had come through the portal. After the second blow, he felt his spell fail.

The dwarven ranger was bleeding heavily, but he was too stubborn to give up. These were orcs, Moradin damn them! Worse than the damn goblins they’d fought! He laid into them with his axes. If he was going down, he would make them hurt! The others would have an easier time.

***

Mounted Crossbow: +6 2d6+Dex 100/400
Bolts: 55
Bolts used:

Marauding gnolls (Ardeep Forest, noble hunting party hostage)
Orcs in the north (Harpshield Castle, Floshin Estate, Newfield)
Lizardfolk with steel weapons and armor (Rock Tower, Crom’s Hold)

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Attack 1: Attack Orc7
Battleaxe: 1D20+5 = [6]+5 = 11
1D8+2 = [2]+2 = 4

Attack 2: Attack Orc7
Battleaxe: 1D20+5 = [14]+5 = 19
1D8+2 = [8]+2 = 10

Bonus Action: Attack Orc 7
Battleaxe: 1D20+5 = [13]+5 = 18
1D8+2 = [6]+2 = 8

Horde Breaker: Attack Orc 9
Battleaxe: 1D20+5 = [2]+5 = 7
1D8+2 = [1]+2 = 3

Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Battleaxe: 1D20+5 = [20]+5 = 25
1D8+2 = [7]+2 = 9

Crit damage: 1D8+2 = [5]+2 = 7

Crit total damage: 16
Hunter’s Mark, if applicable:
Concentration:
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Initiative: +1
Perception: +5
Speed: 30
AC: 14/15 (dual wield)
HP: 3/58 HD: 2/6d10+2

Bolts: 50
Bolts used:
Handaxes: 2/2

Spells
1) 2/4 Absorb Elements, Cure Wounds, Hunter’s Mark
2) 2/2 Pass Without Trace
Primal Awareness (cast each spell once per long rest): Speak with Animals, Beast Sense
4/4 Boon of the Elk. Can cast Knock four times (without the loud sound) as an Action. Until he uses the last one, non-good aligned Fey count among his Favoured Enemies.


Vairar - elven cleric
Tommi - human rogue urban bounty hunter
Dandin - halfling bard guild merchant
Angis Honack - dwarven ranger outlander merchant
Titus - human Waterdhavian noble fighter
Lionel - halfling rogue folk hero
Escella - Human sorcerer
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Tommi coughs, the acrid smell still burrowing into his nostrils. He tries to thank Lionel, but his throat is burning and the raspy sound is probably inaudible. Instead, he hurriedly tries to regain his composure.

He hears Lord Darfin's voice, and his eyes, through lids half-shut with tears of pain, see his shape where he had just been. He makes his way back, bypassing the orc, and does his best to trag Lord Darfin's bound body to the center of the room.

OOC: Move/Action for 60' movement: to Darfin, (up the L column) and then to the centre. STR 10 means drag ability of 300 pounds. Bonus action for an extra 30' if needed, or else Dodge (disadvantage on attacks).

HP 3.
 

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
Lionel followed Tommi's cue and helped dragging the lord to the centre of the room. Lord Darfin looked heavy and Lionel still felt weak from the previous encounter with the wights. He was sure that Tommi felt the same and needed all the help he could give.
 



FitzTheRuke

Legend
Escella blasted the orc that had been chasing Lionel, freeing him and Tommi to see to the elf lord.

Under Escella's guidance, and with herculean effort, Lionel and Tommi dragged the bound Sir Darfin to the center of the room, cast deep in darkness. Seen only by Escella, Darfin closed his eyes for a moment and then said, in elvish, "Seal the gates."

The three magical portals closed, leaving only blank rounded walls.

Their allies cut-off and their exits closed, the remaining orcs fell into a frenzy. One of them slammed on the wall where the portal was no longer while three moved through the darkness, swinging wildly at the three there. One swung at Tommi; another's blade banged off of Sir Darfin's metal bonds; the third sword came down at Lionel.

Out in the light, Escella shot an orc with an eldritch bolt, trying to protect herself, Angis, and Talynen. The elf was down, gurgling on the ground. While her bolt blasted the orc badly, it only served to get its attention, and it turned its rage toward her.

Angis had two orcs facing him. He spat blood and buried his axe in one while side-stepping the other's sword-slash. To get his axe out, he hacked the orc again with his other axe, splitting it in two as he turned to face the other.

OOC: Yikes! Escella killed O6 & did 10 to O9, who later got her back for 12 (dropping her?); O1 got Tommi for 6 (dodged to 3, but still down? Or maybe he ran away?); O2 missed Darfin (pang!); O3 got Lionel for 11 (uncanny to 5?); Angis killed O7. I think we need @MetaVoid Vairar's help STAT!
 


Escella Bok
AC 14; HP 1/33; HD 1/1d8 2/5d6 PP18 SS 2/4 1/3 1/2 SP 5/5; STR: 6/8

Escella staggers back, dropping to one knee, managing to remain standing in spite of all the damage. She then blasts the Orc with an eldritch blast.


Strength of the Grave: Charisma Save DC 5+damage (12) = 17 to not go unconscious.: 1D20+3 = [14]+3 = 17
Concentration Check DC 10: 1D20+1 = [11]+1 = 12 (The darkness does not drop.)
Eldritch Blast: 1D20+8 = [9]+8 = 17
1D10+3 = [7]+3 = 10
1D20+8 = [9]+8 = 17
1D10+3 = [5]+3 = 8
 


Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top