D&D 5E (IC) Scourge of Daggerford

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Dandin finally shows up just in time to see Escellla slip off to the treeline. Normally he'd be the one foolishly trying to scout out the enemy, but he'd been a bit behind the others this morning and so he decided to mount the stairs where he found himself next to the haughty elf.

He was a pretty good judge of character, and quickly sussed out the reason for the elf's ire, though he found it strange that Angus's grumbling seemed to be coming from beyond an exterior wall.

Whispering a message that only the elf could hear, in elven, he attempted to smooth things over.

"Don't mind him, Angus's a bit gruff, and about as fond of elves as any dwarf, but he means well. Noone better to have your back in a battle!"

Then he spoke up, smiling and winking at the elf as he did so.

"Everything comfy for you out there Angus? Want me to get you a nice hard stone slab to lay on?"

Drawing Siren's call, he shifted it into it's musical form and played a soft, yet upbeat tune hoping to inspire anyone nearby for the battle ahead.

Since this seems to be a thing... Insight to read the room, Diplomacy to smooth ruffled feathers and then Performance for inspiration.

Insight, Diplomacy, Performance,: 1d20+5 14 1d20+6 14 1d20+6 18

Also, One D6 Inspiration die for Angus!

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Tommi waves at Escella, and suddenly feels self-conscious that he's taken 'the hard way' just to get t the gate. She looks so puled together, he thinks, as he tucks his wet shirt into his trousers.

Still, he joins her for scouting, but the water in his boots means he is not at the top of his game.

OOC: Three rolls. Atheltics: 8, Stealth: 14, Perception: 9.

Vairar frowns at the elf.
"Do you think orcs will keep the trees if we fall? Don't you think honored mother would prefer to lose one of the oaks than the manor or her children? And even if you ask one of the forest fathers, after 800 years some of them may be ready to give their lives for the elves. Don't underestimate orcs under powerful leader - as we know they have.

Trust me, I've fought them more than my share, you don't want to meet them close up. And we're too few to stop them only with arrows. Depending on the numbers and types, as our scouts return, we WILL bring down one of them. Unless one of the nobles stop us."

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Angis Honack
Floshin Estates/Main Gate roof
Morning
Round 0

Angis nailed the mounted crossbow down to the roof beams, removing a few tiles to secure it. Then he stacked some hay around in front of the crossbow for cover. He was checking the sight lines when he saw Tommi climbing the waterfall behind the manor and shook his head. “Fool boy,” he muttered, but he supposed the scouting intelligence he brought back would be useful, if he didn’t get himself in trouble. They weren’t going to be able to rush in and save him. Same with Escella, when she exited. They should let the elves scout.

"Everything comfy for you out there Angis? Want me to get you a nice hard stone slab to lay on?" Angis heard Dandi call from below.

“Aye, lad. A wee nap before the fun starts wuildnae ‘urt,” Angis said with a chuckle as he set the box with the extra crossbow bolts upright near at hand.

1d6 Inspiration die (100r)

Mounted Crossbow: +6 2d6 100/400
Bolts: 58
Bolts used: 0

Marauding gnolls (Ardeep Forest, noble hunting party hostage)
Orcs in the north (Harpshield Castle, Floshin Estate, Newfield)
Lizardfolk with steel weapons and armor (Rock Tower, Crom’s Hold)

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Horde Breaker:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Hunter’s Mark (if needed):
Concentration:
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Initiative: +1
Perception: +5
Speed: 30
AC: 14/15 (dual wield)
HP: 49/49 HD: 5/5d10+2

Bolts: 51
Bolts used:
Handaxes: 2/2

Spells
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Cure Wounds, Hunter’s Mark
2) 2/2 Pass Without Trace
4/4 Boon of the Elk. Can cast Knock four times (without the loud sound) as an Action. Until he uses the last one, non-good aligned Fey count among his Favoured Enemies.

Vairar - elven cleric
Tommi - human rogue urban bounty hunter
Dandin - halfling bard guild merchant
Enseth - warforged war cleric shield guardian
Angis Honack - dwarven ranger outlander merchant
Titus - human Waterdhavian noble fighter
Lionel - halfling rogue folk hero
Escella - Human sorcerer

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Vairar frowns at the elf.
"Do you think orcs will keep the trees if we fall? Don't you think honored mother would prefer to lose one of the oaks than the manor or her children? And even if you ask one of the forest fathers, after 800 years some of them may be ready to give their lives for the elves. Don't underestimate orcs under powerful leader - as we know they have.

Trust me, I've fought them more than my share, you don't want to meet them close up. And we're too few to stop them only with arrows. Depending on the numbers and types, as our scouts return, we WILL bring down one of them. Unless one of the nobles stop us."

The elf takes a deep breath...then another.

"With all due respect to your status as a guest and priest, sir" he practically spits the last word "...I fought orcs before you were born and certainly before any of these..." one could see the effort it takes him to control himself not to say something worse "...adventurers grandfathers were off their mothers tits. We're supposed to stand here, yet the lord saddles me with untried, untested and above all un-elven local mavericks who among themselves couldn't add their years to one century. How am I supposed to feel? And to top it off, first thing I get is 'Cut those trees!'. Well, I'll cut my ears off before I allow it unless you really bring the lord here to tell me that!"
At the end his voice starts raising and he speaks faster. He stops and looks at you lot. Stiffly, he salutes and turns his back on you.
"Don't touch those trees!"

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Tommi and Escella slipped forward, using the side of the road and its curve toward the south to keep cover. The sky began to light as dawn approached, though they stayed in the shadow of the eastward ridge. After several minutes, the sound of marching could be heard. Tommi and Escella hid by the side of the road and watched as a large group approached: An impressive orc on a giant bull auroch was flanked by two dire boars with riders. Behind him were two ogres, a male and a female. Marching under the leadership of two orogs were fourteen orcs; five of whom were slighter-built and held longbows. They moved at a very fast pace and Escella and Tommi could not afford to watch them for long before they would not be able to beat them to the manor house.

The two scouts ran back toward the manor, but the orcs moved quickly. Quick enough that they were eventually spotted and the entire group charged after them.

OOC: I will return to set this up! Gotta get to work!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
When Escella and Tommi were nearing the manor house, somewhat out-of-breath, they shouted the situation to the defenders, and Vairar stood by the door waiting for them. ORB5 flew out to find them, making high-pitched trilling noises. Not as far as they would have liked, behind them, the company of orcs rushed around the curve in the road and came into sight. Angis nodded grimly and turned the mounted crossbow toward them, as the light of dawn dimly grew behind them.

GM: Encounter: Doughty Daggerfordians & Elf Guards vs Orc Attack at the Floshin Gate
FloshinGate1.jpg

(General Features) Difficult Terrain: The trees & bushes;
Elevation: Cliff (30 foot drop); Visibility: Dim light (dawn)
(Note) The roof is 30 feet further right than it appears (the crossbow is mounted at M13)
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Angis AC14(15) HP 49/49 HD 5/5 PP15* SS 4/4 2/2
Dandin AC14 HP 31/31 HD 5/5 PP15 SS 4/4 BI 3/3
Escella AC14 HP 29/29 HD 5/5 PP18 SS 4/4 3/3 SP 4/4
Lionel AC14 HP 43/43 HD 5/5 PP14
Tommi AC14 HP 33/33 HD 5/5 PP17
Vairar AC18*(20*) HP 38/38 HD 5/5 PP13* SS 4/4 3/3 2/2
(NPCs)
ORB5 AC13(18) HP 10/10 PP14* Shock+4,1d8; SS 0/3 fly60
Elite Elf Guard AC15 HP 52 PP14* AE 3/3
SunElf Guards AC16 HP 16ea PP12*
-SEG1 HP 16/16; SEG2 HP 16/16; SEG3 HP 16/16
Name * AC * HP * PP * (Notes)
(BGs)
Auroch AC13 HP 38/38 PP11
OrcAurochRider AC16 HP52/52 PP13*
DireBoars AC14 PP8*
-DB1 42/42; DB2 42/42
OrcBoarRiders AC15 PP11*
-OBR1 32/32; OBR2 32/32
Ogres AC11 PP8*
-Ogre 59/59; Ogress 59/59
OrcEye AC16; HP 45/45 PP11*
Orogs AC18 PP10*
-Orog1 42/42; Orog2 42/42
OrcArchers AC13 PP13*
-OA1 16/16; OA2 16/16; OA3 16/16;
-OA4 16/16; OA5 16/16;
Orcs AC15 PP10*
-O1 15/15; O2 15/15; O3 15/15;
-O4 15/15; O5 15/15; O6 15/15;
-O7 15/15; O8 15/15; O9 15/15;
GM: Begin Round One

gargoyleking

Adventurer
"Oh dear..." Dandin couldn't believe what he was hearing. Vairar, an elf himself suggesting cutting down some centuries old trees in order to thwart their attackers? While an interesting tactical solution, given time to pull it off, Dandin couldn't bring himself to agree with the concept. That, and there'd be no time to do it now anyways.

Dandin decided to speak up, using the elven language as well. "Vairar, I know we haven't known each other that long, but I'm surprised at you. Even I know that something like this is sacred to your people. Don't ever sacrifice on your beliefs just to win. That's how you become the villain in your own story."

But then he turned on the other elf, his ire rising at the things he'd said about the Daggerfordians. "And you! So rude! I've met Prince Alagarthas and dined with your lord and lady. None of them are nearly as disrespectful as your words just now."

"You may be old, and have a lot of experience fighting orcs. But that doesn't give you the right to treat us as inferiors. You don't have to like it, but Lord Darfin has asked for our help. So maybe you should focus that anger on the enemies rather than on the people who are here to help you. Now..."

Dandin's words cut off at the sound of a not so distant battle cry. With a frown, he moves to the nearest unoccupied arrow slit. "Think they saw Escella?" He asked, not knowing that Tommi had snuck out to scout as well.

Remove ads