log in or register to remove this ad

 

5E (IC) Scourge of Daggerford

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Dandin stood up from behind the reigns and waved to the guards as they pulled up. The carriage was dizzyingly high for him, but he missed droving his own cart too much and had asked for a turn behind the reigns.

"Ho there! We're the Doughty Daggerfordians, here to help with the orc problem! It's been a long ride and we're a bit tired from our first skirmish with the brutes, can we come across?"
 

log in or register to remove this ad

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Angis Honack
Road
Morning
Round 0

Allowing the others to deal with the wagon, Angis butchered the war pig and then crawled into the back of the war wagon to tend his wounds and rest.

Short rest: 1D10+2 = [7]+2 = 9
Short rest: 1D10+2 = [3]+2 = 5
Short rest: 1D10+2 = [3]+2 = 5


Upon reaching Newfield, Angis roused, typical dwarven constitution making it like he was never sliced and diced by a giant boar and its orc rider. He checked his new stash of fresh pork and grinned. Now he just needed to cure it into good bacon.

“Looks like they been preparin’,” Angis said, noting the spiked gate.

Mounted Crossbow: +6 2d6 100/400

Marauding gnolls (Ardeep Forest, noble hunting party hostage)
Orcs in the north (Harpshield Castle, Floshin Estate, Newfield)
Lizardfolk with steel weapons and armor (Rock Tower, Crom’s Hold)

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Horde Breaker:
Reaction: Absorb Elements or Opportunity Attack
Conditions:
Concentration:
Inspiration:

Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 14
HP: 37/40 HD: 1/4d10+2

Bolts: 12
Bolts used: 0
Handaxes: 12/12

Spells
1) 2/3 Absorb Elements, Cure Wounds, Hunter’s Mark
4/4 Boon of the Elk. Can cast Knock four times (without the loud sound) as an Action. Until he uses the last one, non-good aligned Fey count among his Favoured Enemies.


Tommi - human rogue urban bounty hunter
Dandin - halfling bard guild merchant
Enseth - warforged war cleric shield guardian
Angis Honack - dwarven ranger outlander merchant
Drui Holderhock - dwarven cleric of Tempus soldier
Titus - human Waterdhavian noble fighter
 

Dandin was thrilled (though not surprised) to discover that these folks had heard of the Doughty Daggerfordians. They laughed and said, "Welcome, gents!" and "Glad to see you lot!" as they opened the gates and let the wagon roll through.

They had a similar reception at the inn's stables, where several local lads were acting as grooms. The stables were packed, but the boys said (to Titus), "We'll find a place for them, m'lord." and, "They're in good 'ands, right enough!"

The wagon itself sat horseless in the yard in a place where, if the inn were attacked, it could be used for cover and the mounted crossbow had a good range to fire across the creek.

The Elfwood was packed. So packed that there were tents in the yard (even in the vegetable garden, in the plots that had already been harvested.) and the rooms were full - one extended family to a small room. By the time the Daggerfordians entered, the innkeeper had been told of their arrival, and he greeted them at the door himself.

"Greetings my friends, I am your humble host, Fehlkeun Thalurien. Of course, you may call me 'the Falcon' like everyone else." said the innkeeper with a smile and a bow, "There is food in those pots and ale in those mugs. None of it is quite as good as we normally offer, but there it is. We are not accepting payment at this time, but we must ask that you not over-indulge. We may need to keep this going for awhile, and alas, our stores are not unlimited."

He seemed as if he were about to say more, but he was called away by a man hauling a large keg from the cellar. He said as he turned to go, "There is so much to do, I'm afraid. Welcome to the Elfwood!"

GM: People of Daggerford Newfield: The Falcon
Owner and proprietor of the Elfwood tavern in Newfield, the Falcon is a retired member of the Lords Floshin Guard. As an elf, his several centuries of age barely show in his fine features. He has a long, thin nose, that suits his name, and the wiry build of an archer. Though friendly and gracious, he occasionally lets slip that he is battle-weary and increasingly world-weary.
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
In the corner of the inn, alone at a small table, sits a woman with black hair wearing dark leather pants and forest green leather jacket. She's staring into her mug of ale quietly. The other patrons give her some room. She is familiar so some of you, works for Kelson. Escella is her name if you've met her. She does not seem to notice your entry or The Falcon's boisterous welcome.
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Angis Honack
NewfieldElfwood Tavern
Afternoon
Round 0

Angis helped himself to some ale and surveyed the crowded common room. “Luiks like they’ll be ‘ard pressed t’ find us a room,” he commented. “Guess ‘tis campin’ ‘round the wagon,” It wouldn't’ be the worst he’d had, and the ale was quite good as well. Obviously they hadn’t sunk so low as to be serving the dregs, thank the gods.

“Ran intae a band o’ yer orcs on th’way,” Angis commented. “Wot can ye tell us aboot them?”

Mounted Crossbow: +6 2d6 100/400

Marauding gnolls (Ardeep Forest, noble hunting party hostage)
Orcs in the north (Harpshield Castle, Floshin Estate, Newfield)
Lizardfolk with steel weapons and armor (Rock Tower, Crom’s Hold)

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Horde Breaker:
Reaction: Absorb Elements or Opportunity Attack
Conditions:
Concentration:
Inspiration:

Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 14
HP: 37/40 HD: 1/4d10+2

Bolts: 12
Bolts used: 0
Handaxes: 12/12

Spells
1) 2/3 Absorb Elements, Cure Wounds, Hunter’s Mark
4/4 Boon of the Elk. Can cast Knock four times (without the loud sound) as an Action. Until he uses the last one, non-good aligned Fey count among his Favoured Enemies.


Tommi - human rogue urban bounty hunter
Dandin - halfling bard guild merchant
Enseth - warforged war cleric shield guardian
Angis Honack - dwarven ranger outlander merchant
Drui Holderhock - dwarven cleric of Tempus soldier
Titus - human Waterdhavian noble fighter
 

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
Tommi thanks the Falcon for his hospitality, as he empties out the remnants of old food, half eaten sandwiches and apples he has started but not returned to, into the pig slop at the side of the inn.

"You're very kind," he says, but that's when he notices the woman who looks like Escella. He'd known Escella back in the day, of course. She was a year or two younget than him, and while sdhe ran in better circles than he always had, she'd come to see his mom Jyn a few times. But then he'd heard she had left town, or maybe that she had died. Rumours being what they were, he wasn't sure what to believe, but he'd never been too troubled about people leaving Daggerford. Those with ambition often did.

"Escella?" he asked, as he approached her. "I'm Tommi, Jyn's boy. I'd thought you were... well, I'd heard... It's nice to see you. What brings you here?"

He doesn't seat himself down uninvited, but he has a hand deep in one pocket, running pebbles through his hands.
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
Escella manages to hear her name and turns to look in Tommi's direction. "Oh, hi. Jyn's boy, Tommi, right? How are you? Have a seat. I'm probably here for the same reason you are. Orcs. They have the family estate under siege and locked up tighter than drum."
 

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that." He doesn't correct her. "We just saw some orcs on the road here, me'n my friends." He waves towards the door. "Can I, um, get you something? It's nice to see you. I've said that."
 

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Dandin looked around the overcrowded in and nods in agreement to Angis. "Probably so, but these people need some cheering up as well, I think. Lets see if we can't help them out. Did anyone crab a slab of that boar meat? Might thicken up the stew pretty well."

Dandin had no need of a meal himself, but he pulled out a few apples and sliced them up before mixing in the few remaining slices of his special apple into the pile and handing out apple slices randomly to everyone he could find. He did his best not to let on that some of the slices were more special than others and didn't want anyone getting upset and/or fighting over the few good ones.
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Angis Honack
NewfieldElfwood Tavern
Afternoon
Round 0

Angis nodded to Dandin. “There’s plenty o’ tha’ boar hangin’ in the wagon,” he said. Without a proper smoker and time, they would need to eat it up soon. Right now it was just wrapped in some old sacks with some leaves to keep it as fresh as possible.

Angis retrieved the boar meat and dumped it on a table in the common room in the inn. “Lookin’ t’ sell some guid boar meat,” he announced to the crowed. “Dunnae hae time t’ prepare it properly, sae it needs t’ be et. ‘Ere’s a bit f’r the stew f’r ye all t’ eat t’night, an’ the rest can be bought. Jus’ haggle wi’ young Dandin there.” He nodded to the merchant handing out apple slices.

Mounted Crossbow: +6 2d6 100/400

Marauding gnolls (Ardeep Forest, noble hunting party hostage)
Orcs in the north (Harpshield Castle, Floshin Estate, Newfield)
Lizardfolk with steel weapons and armor (Rock Tower, Crom’s Hold)

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Horde Breaker:
Reaction: Absorb Elements or Opportunity Attack
Conditions:
Concentration:
Inspiration:

Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 14
HP: 37/40 HD: 1/4d10+2

Bolts: 12
Bolts used: 0
Handaxes: 12/12

Spells
1) 2/3 Absorb Elements, Cure Wounds, Hunter’s Mark
4/4 Boon of the Elk. Can cast Knock four times (without the loud sound) as an Action. Until he uses the last one, non-good aligned Fey count among his Favoured Enemies.


Tommi - human rogue urban bounty hunter
Dandin - halfling bard guild merchant
Enseth - warforged war cleric shield guardian
Angis Honack - dwarven ranger outlander merchant
Drui Holderhock - dwarven cleric of Tempus soldier
Titus - human Waterdhavian noble fighter
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
"I'm good, thanks," Escella says to Tommi. "Sit. Relax. I'd invite your friends to join you but not until they are done trading. Do you and your friends always travel with fresh boar meat?" Escella's words are friendly but her manner is reserved.

"What brings you to these parts?"
 

Lionel wandered over, carrying a large bowl of stew. He said to Esclella between mouthfulls, "Oh, hello there. I think I have seen you at the Happy Cow Tavern in Daggerford. I'm Lionel Hardcheese. We Doughty Daggerfordians are off to see if we can help Lord Darfin, at the Floshin Estate."

He swallowed some ale and added, "Of course, there seems like there might be a lotta orcs 'tween here and there. You're one of Kelson Darktreader's road-scouts, right? D'ya know a good back way in?"
 


gargoyleking

Adventurer
Dandin wandered over and plopped down next to Tommi and nodded to Escella. He seems to be shinning a bew apple with a vit of cloth and smiles at the woman as he offers it up to her.

"Hi, I think I've seen you about here and there in Daggerford, but never been properly introduced! Dandin 'Applesbane' at your service!"

The halfling seems to have one eye on the stew pot line and he seems to be smiling in anticipation as he watches people walk away with their food in-hand.
 

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
Tommi describes some of their adventures to Escella, focusing on the others and away from himself. He's pulling at the leather thong wrapped around his wrist. He's late on introductions. "Escella, this is Dandin, Lionel. That's Angis back there. And Titus, who's around somewhere as well."

He feels his back relax. "If you're heading in the same direction as us, you could probably travel with us, if you like. Another pair of eyes would be welcome." He shrugs, as an offer it wasn't much, but it was sincere.
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
"If you are attempting to reach the estate I will accompany you. I need to get there myself." Escella says. "But it won't be as pleasant as travel to get there. There is an army camped outside their doors. And unlike a normal orc camp, this camp has discipline, patrols, and somehow, a well defined purpose. Something is strange about that army of orcs."
 

Overhearing the conversation, the Falcon came over to the table and said, "I have lived in this area all of my life. Before pursuing my passion as a tavernkeeper, I was a captain of the Floshin Household Guard under Lord Elorfindar (Lord Darfin's father). At any rate, I can help you with information: I do not know the best way past the orcish invaders, but I do know a way for you to communicate with the manor-house. Perhaps Lord Darfin or his sister, Lady Shalendra, would have a suggestion. The estate has vast gardens (most of which are likely stomped to ruin by the orcs) - but at the south-end of the garden, there is a secluded pond we call the Swan's Nest, for obvious reasons. There is a small shrine by the pond - a quiet place of worship. Lord Elorfindar's mother, before she went to Evermeet, installed a device capable of communicating with the manor house. If you were to slip past the orc's pickets, you could use the device to contact the house."
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
Escella laughs. "I know the place he means. I don't think the orcs know of the communication device. But the garden is near the central command tent. I've not tried to get near the garden. Maybe that is possible. But if we are spotted, it will be a dangerous flight to safety from the garden."

She drinks down the mug she had been nursing. "I assume you wish to rest from you road travels tonight. Let me know when you are ready to go. I can get you within a few hundred yards of the garden. But I've not approached it closer than that."
 

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
"The chapel, then. Good." Tommi says that, as if someone else has decided his next steps, and perhaps that is a relief to him.

"Thank you," he says, looking at the Falcon but trying to encompass Escella as well. "Do you have rooms for tonight?" If so, he books one, and falls asleep before he eats dinner. As a result he wakes early, and hungry, but after a big breakfast is ready to go.
OOC: Unless of course other things are happening before that which need to be addressed.
 

Tommi vaguely remembered some shouting and the stomping of feet in the night. He awoke to find the common room was at least as busy as it had been the night before. The Falcon nodded to him and Lionel came over, carrying a plate of sausages. "Did you hear, Tommi?" the young halfling asked, "They repelled some orcs in the night! Sent 'em packing! The Falcon says it was just a half-hearted raid. Not a real attack. One of the men said that they 'borrowed' our cross-bow, on top of the wagon. Said it was useful, but I hope that they didn't use all our quarrels. Have a sausage!"
 

Most Liked Threads

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top