log in or register to remove this ad

 

5E (IC) Scourge of Daggerford


log in or register to remove this ad

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
TL;DR: houndmaster and two dogs move, misses with the javelin

Seeing the newcomers and already bored with waiting for his dog to dig out that meddlesome elf, houndmaster hoots at the chance for some new sport.

He runs toward the bridge hollering something and two dogs turn and start running after him. Grabbing a javelin from his back, he throws it towards the bush Tommi snagged, but the swaying branches pull the missile from the air before it reaches its target.

"Ripper! Choker! Heel!"

Animal handling: 1D20+4 = [6]+4 = 10


Dog1 (swan dog) moves to Z12
Dog2 (AE11) moves to Z8
Houndmaster moves to Y8

Attack: Javelin attack vs Tommi: 1D20+5 = [11]+5 = 16
1D20+5 = [4]+5 = 9
1D6+3 = [1]+3 = 4
 

With Tommi unfortunately giving away their position, the Daggerfordians began to throw what they could down into the depression. Angis pushed his way out of cover from behind a tree and sent a crossbow quarrel into the shoulder of the orc sentry, who grunted and began to run toward him. Escella sent an eldritch bolt to slow the brute down, but the orc ducked as it ran along the bridges, quickly making its way toward their postion. As the orc raised his javelin to throw it at Angis, Dandin struck him with a hurled ball of flame, and the javelin landed in the sod at Angis' feet. The orc was scorched, but was still coming toward them, now on the closer of two bridges.

Down in the depression, a large, sly-looking orc barked orders to the dogs, and they came to him and moved as a pack toward the fray.

Unknown to the Daggerfordians, the shrine hid an entrance to an old elvish crypt that was buried under the eastern wall of the depression. An elf cleric had been worshipping at the shrine when the orcs came, and he had taken refuge in the crypts. He had managed to seal the passageway, but in doing so, he had revealed his presence to the orcs. They had spent the better part of the last few days trying to get into the crypts to get at him (and, presumably, to loot the tombs). As the Daggerfordians had arrived, by chance, the orcs had finally reached the crypts by digging through the wall of the depression and breaking through the stonework.

The dogs had done much of the digging, and the elf, who was called Vairar, was ready as a dog clawed and squirmed its way through the beginnings of a hole in the crypt's stone wall. He was ready with a spell, but as he spoke his holy words, the dog was through the wall and on him, biting and pulling him off his feet. Behind the dog, an orc (who did not fit through as small a hole as the dog) broke the hole wider with a pick. Soon, orcs would be on him. Vairar was in a tight spot.

OOC: @Kobold Stew Tommi (and a few orcs) still has to go. Oh! @Neurotic the Houndmaster can use a bonus action to move again, and the dogs could dash, instead of dodge, if you wan them to move further forward.

GM:
(Allies)
Angis moved to (I12) & did 9 (xbow) damage to Orc1
Dandin
moved to (J10, prone) & did 8 (flame) damage to O1
Escella
moved to (H14) & missed [(EB) B]O1
Vairar[/b] moved to (AS11) & missed (word) Dog3
(Enemies)
Houndmaster moved to (Y8) & missed (spear) Tommi
Dog1
moved to (Z12) & dodged
Dog2 moved to (Z8) & dodged
Dog3 moved to (AS12) & did 3 (bite) damage to Vairar
& Vairar must make a dc12 Strength Save or be knocked Prone
Orc1 moved (agressive) to (H18) & missed (spear) Angis
Orc5
moved to (AR11) & broke into the crypt
 


Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
@Neurotic the Houndmaster can use a bonus action to move again, and the dogs could dash, instead of dodge, if you wan them to move further forward.
OOC: Sure! I didn't want to separate them too much by his extra move. Forgot about dashing, orc dogs surely aren't as dashing as that :p. I don't think it would change the disadvantage on Tommi though.
 

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
Hobbling on his turned ankle, Tommi curses himself for giving away their position. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out some stones, blowing into them, and then hobbles along trying to secure a good view of his opponents, while heeding Dandin's advice.

OOC: Bonus: Magic Stone.
Move+Action: 60' move east (to Y4? further?)
 

Tommi ran across the northern ridge hobbling on his twisted ankle. He could see orcs mobilizing in the depression. Below him, just out of sight because of the angle of tumble-down, the orcish houndmaster and his dogs hastened along the path leading upward. Tommi could hear the barking dogs, but he was more concerned by the two orcs that had come along the path from the eastern wall.

As he hobbled along, they tracked him with their eyes and they brought out throwing spears, hurling them at him with great force. Tommi was just able to dive for cover behind a gnarled tree, but one of the javelins grazed his thigh while the other thumped into the ground among the tree's roots.

The orc that had been standing near the shrine's sun-styled door ran across the north side of the pond, and he too threw a javelin. It was a long throw, heading for Angis, but the dwarf had time to see it coming and he knocked it aside with his crossbow.

ORB5 whirred and clicked and flew over the ledge, dive-bombing the orc houndmaster as he came up the path.

GM:
(Allies)
Tommi moved to (xx) & did X (sling) damage to Badguy
ORB5
flew to (R6) & "helped" (next attack on Houndmaster has Advantage)
(Enemies)
Houndmaster moved (agressive) to (S7)
Dog1 dashed to (X7)
Dog2 dashed to (T7)
Orc2 moved (agressive) to (Z8) & missed Tommi
Orc3
moved (agressive) to (AA9) & did 9 (spear) damage to Tommi
Orc4 moved (agressive) to (V12) & missed Angis
 
Last edited:

GM: Encounter: Doughty Daggerfordians vs Orcs at the Swan's Nest
SNest2.jpg

Locations:
(BGs) Houndmaster (S7); Dog1 (X7); D2 (T7); D3 (AS12);
Orc1 (G18); O2 (Z8); O3 (AA9); O4 (AQ11); O5 (V12);
(PCs) Angis (H12); Dandin (J10, Prone); Tommi (Y3); Vairar (AT12); Orb5 (R6);
(General Features) Visibility: Good "Daylight"; Terrain: Cliffs (10 foot drops); Pond (20 feet deep);
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Angis AC14 HP 40/40 HD 4/4 PP14* SS 3/3
Dandin AC14 HP 23/23 HD 4/4 PP14 SS 3/4 3/3 BI 3/3 Prone
Escella AC14 HP 24/24 HD 4/4 PP 14 SS 4/4 2/2
Tommi AC14 HP 19/28 HD 4/4 PP14
Vairar AC18* HP 28/31 HD 4/4 PP13* SS 4/4 3/3
(NPCs)
ORB5 AC13(18) HP 10/10 PP14* SS 3/3 Helping
Name * Damage Taken * (Notes)
(BGs)
Houndmaster AC16 HP 52/52
Dog1 11/11
Dog2 11/11
Dog3 11/11
Orc1 AC13 HP 1/18
Orc2 AC13 HP 16/16
Orc3 AC13 HP 19/19
Orc4 AC13 HP 18/18
Orc5 AC13 HP 17/17 Cover
End Round One; Begin Round Two
 

gargoyleking

Adventurer
That orc was almost at the top, somebody should be heading it off by now. But who? Of the three of them atop the cliff Dandin seemed to be the only one with a real tendency towards melee combat, if you could call his random style that. Normally he switched between stabbing and insulting, or using his sling quite often. Still, he had his new weapon and hadn't even blooded it yet. Dashing towards the top of the ramp, he pulled out hos shawm, but wasn't able to make it change just yet. Instead, as he saw the Orc stumbling into sight he just laughed and spoke.

"You're about to fall over and you want to fight? You should just keel over rigbt here and save us both the hassle!"

Move to F15

Viscious Mockery on Orc1, DC 14 Wis save or take Viscious Mockery: 1d4 2 and Disadvantage on it's next attack.
 

MetaVoid

Explorer
OOC:
@FitzTheRuke, the dog missed, my AC is currently 20 due to shield of faith. (as marked in the mini-stats)


Current status:
HP 31/31
AC 20 (shield of faith concentration 10 minutes)
Status: concentrating
Spells:
1st level 3/4
2nd level 3/3

Attack:
Dagger: +4 / 1d4+2
Warhammer: +4 / 1d8+2 (1d10+2 versatile)
Whip: +4 / 1d4+2 (reach)
Pike +4 / 1d10+2 (reach, 2HD)
(+1d8 from BB)
Spells (DC 13) 4 cantrips, 7 prepared:
Cantrips: Booming blade, Guidance, Mending, Word of radiance, Thaumaturgy
1st: Bless, Command, Guiding Bolt, Healing word, Shield of Faith
2nd: Hold Person, Prayer of Healing

AC: 16 (18 with the shield) ]
HP: 31 / 31 = 8+2 + 3 x (5+2)
Init: +0
Saves: Str +2, Dex +0, Con +2, Int +0, *Wis +5, *Cha +2

The dog was on the verge of biting him when small shower of sparks caused it to recoil just as the jaws snapped shut.

Lowering his shield to keep the animal in the tunnel, the priest swung his hammer low. He pulled a strike by necessity, not to slam his arm into the wall, but the head of the weapon still hit the beast. Hurting, but not a serious hit.

Still, blocking the dog for another few breaths. He doesn't hold any hope now they opened the door into the crypts it is only a matter of time. But there is still the power of Storm. They will not take him lightly.

 
Last edited:

jmucchiello

Adventurer
Escella decides the orc cresting the hill is soon to die. She wants to take out the orc controlling the dogs. She sends her eldritch energy at him. These must be the luckiest orcs in all of Faerun, she thinks.

Eldritch Blast: 1d20+5 6 1d10 5 (Switched die rollers. Even less luck. Sigh)
 


Kobold Stew

Adventurer
Tommi looks up, as he loads a stone in his sling, alerted by a whistle from Orb5, and he realizes he has run too far. He backs up, releases a stone at the Houndmaster because , and then hides in the tall grass at the top of the cliff.

OOC: Move to U4.
Attack (with sneak attack thanks to Orb5): 1d20+6=21 to hit. Damage = 3d6+4=15 bludgeoning.
Bonus; hiding: 1d20+4=12 (or, if there's advantage from the height difference 15).
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
TL;DR: 2 damage to Vairar and possibly prone

In the crypt:
The dog snarls, nipping at the well protected meat inside the crypt and this time it is ready for the sparks and doesn't flinch. At least, not enough to miss. But it barely closes its jaws. Shaking its powerful head, it tries to bring the elf that hurt it down.

The orc continues to widen the passage snarling in eagerness and frustration.

Dog 3 vs elf; damage: 1D20+3 = [17]+3 = 20
1D6+1 = [1]+1 = 2

@MetaVoid, roll Str DC 12 or prone and roll your reaction.
 
Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
TL;DR: gods dashed, houndmaster critted for 11 damage to Tommi

At the path:
Both dogs rush at the enemies, hunting howls alerting everything miles around that something is happening. The huntmaster glares at the human who hurt it and throws two javelins in a quick succession.

One bounces off the cliff edge right in front of Tommi who flinches straight into the path of the other. That one HURT! The armor prevent it from going straight through, but the hit was still solid.


Houndmaster: Houndmaster vs Tommi x2; damage: 1D20+5 = [4]+5 = 9
Houndmaster move: O11
Houndmaster aggressive bonus: L16
1D6+3 = [3]+3 = 6
1D20+5 = [20]+5 = 25
1D6+3 = [3]+3 = 6

Crit damage: 1D6 = [5] = 5
Dog1: X7 --> L17
Dog2: T7 --> J17
 
Last edited:


KahlessNestor

Explorer
Angis Honack
Floshin Estates/Swan’s Nest
Afternoon
Round 2

Angis grinned, batting away orc javelins. In Orcish, he called them sons of elven whores as he reloaded his crossbow. He raced to the head of the bridge and fired his crossbow at the orc there from near point blank range. Unfortunately, his finger slipped in the trigger and he fired the bolt between the orc’s feet into the wood of the bridge.

Dropping the crossbow, Angis drew one of his battle axes, readying himself for the orc’s attack.

Mounted Crossbow: +6 2d6 100/400

Marauding gnolls (Ardeep Forest, noble hunting party hostage)
Orcs in the north (Harpshield Castle, Floshin Estate, Newfield)
Lizardfolk with steel weapons and armor (Rock Tower, Crom’s Hold)

Save:
Move: To F17
Free Object Interaction: Drop crossbow and draw battle axe
Action: Attack Orc H18
Heavy Crossbow Hunters Mark: 1D20+3 = [3]+3 = 6
1D10+1D6+1 = [2]+[2]+1 = 5

Bonus Action:
Horde Breaker:
Reaction: Absorb Elements or Opportunity Attack
Battleaxe 2H Hunters Mark: 1D20+4 = [6]+4 = 10
1D10+1D6+2 = [4]+[3]+2 = 9

Conditions:
Concentration: Hunter’s Mark Orc H18
Inspiration:

Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 14
HP: 40/40 HD: 4/4d10+2

Bolts: 10
Bolts used: 2
Handaxes: 12/12

Spells
1) 2/3 Absorb Elements, Cure Wounds, Hunter’s Mark
4/4 Boon of the Elk. Can cast Knock four times (without the loud sound) as an Action. Until he uses the last one, non-good aligned Fey count among his Favoured Enemies.


Escella
Vairar - elven cleric
Tommi - human rogue urban bounty hunter
Dandin - halfling bard guild merchant
Enseth - warforged war cleric shield guardian
Angis Honack - dwarven ranger outlander merchant
Titus - human Waterdhavian noble fighter
 

Dandin was belly-down in the high grass as he watched Angis fire a quarrel into the wooden ramp-bridge as the orc sentry ran across. He stood and mocked the brute as Angis readied his axe to receive the orc's charge. The orc was so enraged by the taunt, that he missed his footing at the top of the ramp, and fell to his death between the ramp and the ledge by striking a rock on the side of his head as he fell. Angis batted aside yet another javelin thrown by an orc down near the pond.

But now the dogs were coming up the trail, and Escella fired a wild eldritch bolt that missed the running houndmaster. That big orc threw two javelins at Tommi, whose armour took the worst of it, and Jynn's boy sent a stone that struck the orc in his turn. Then Tommi threw himself into the high grass, trying to stay out of sight. The houndmaster orc moved on, following his dogs toward the others.

Two more orcs came up the path. One of them ran right past Tommi, but the other wondered where the lad had gone. This orc didn't want to feel one of Tommi's sling-stones, so he sniffed and gazed about until he found the boy and he grunted and leaped onto the ledge, scrambling in the loose dirt until he climbed to the top while grunting fiercely.

In the crypts, the dog there had failed to get through Vairar's armour when it first bit down on him, but now it locked its jaw, twisting its head from side-to-side. Vairar felt it now and he struck the dog with his hammer while lightning coursed through his arm from his god's protective wrath. Still, the dog did not give up. The orc there broke through enough of the wall's masonry that it would be able to get at him soon.

ORB5 zipped toward the hole in the depression's eastern wall. Its sensors indicated that something might be occurring there, and it calculated that it would be better to inform the others about that than to risk being broken in the conflict.

GM:
(Allies)
Angis moved to (F17) & missed (xbow) Orc1
Dandin
got up & moved to (F13) & did 2 (mock) damage to O1 (dead)
Escella missed (EB) the Houndmaster
Tommi
moved to (U4) & did 15 (sling) damage to Houndmaster & hide (dc12)
Vairar did 4 (hammer) & 3 (wrath) damage to Dog3
(NPCs)
ORB5 dashed (flying) to (AL9)
(Enemies)
Houndmaster did 9 (javelin) damage to Tommi & moved (aggressive) to (L16)
Dog1 dashed to (L17)
Dog2 dashed to (J17)
Dog3 did 2 (bite) damage to Vairar
Orc1
fell to (H16) & died
Orc2 dashed (aggressive) to (M13)
Orc3 moved to (V7) & searched for Tommi (found him!) & climbed (aggressive) to (V4)
Orc4 broke through wall & moved to (AS11)
Orc5 moved to (R17) & missed (javelin) Angis
O1 dc14 vs DandinWisdom Save: 1D20 = [9] = 9 Fail
O3 search for Tommi (dc12) Percepton Check: 1D20 = [13] = 13 Found him!
O3 dc15 climbAthletics Check: 1D20+3 = [19]+3 = 22 made it
O5 long range javelin at Angis Spear: 2D20.LOW(1)+5 = [1, 17]+5 = 6 miss
 

GM: Encounter: Doughty Daggerfordians vs Orcs at the Swan's Nest
SNest3.jpg

Locations:
(BGs) Houndmaster (L16); Dog1 (L17); D2 (J17); D3 (AS12);
Orc1 (H16, Dead); O2 (M13); O3 (V4); O4 (AS11); O5 (R17);
(PCs) Angis (F17); Dandin (F13); Escella (H14); Tommi (U4); Vairar (AT12); (NPCs) Orb5 (AL9);
(General Features) Visibility: Outside: (Bright); Crypt: (Darkness); Terrain: Cliffs (10 foot drops); Pond (20 feet deep);
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Angis AC14 HP 40/40 HD 4/4 PP14* SS 3/3
Dandin AC14 HP 23/23 HD 4/4 PP14 SS 3/4 3/3 BI 3/3
Escella AC14 HP 24/24 HD 4/4 PP 14 SS 4/4 2/2
Tommi AC14 HP 10/28 HD 4/4 PP14
Vairar AC18*(20*) HP 29/31 HD 4/4 PP13* SS 3/4 3/3 SoF
(NPCs)
ORB5 AC13(18) HP 10/10 PP14* SS 3/3
Name * Damage Taken * (Notes)
(BGs)
Houndmaster AC16 HP 37/52
Dog1 11/11
Dog2 11/11
Dog3 4/11
Orc1 AC13 HP 0/18 (Dead)
Orc2 AC13 HP 16/16
Orc3 AC13 HP 19/19
Orc4 AC13 HP 18/18
Orc5 AC13 HP 17/17
End Round Two; Begin Round Three
 

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
Tommi sees the Orc climbing towards him and draws Gutter as he stands at the cliffside. He stabs down, catching the orc in the hand.

The blade turns the creature's hand black, and Tommi feels it pulse for a moment, as he draws it back. Stepping back towards the nearby tree, he steps away, avoiding direct engagement with the creature if he can.

OOC: Action: Gutter vs. Orc 3: 1d20+5=22. Damage 1d6+3=6. Is there advantage on the role, because of the difference in terrain? If so, the roll is unchanged, but there would be +2d6=5 from sneak attack for a TOTAL DAMAGE of 11.
Bonus: disengage.
Move: move 30' away (maybe keeping 5' apart if he's slowed climbing up).
 

Most Liked Threads

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top