log in or register to remove this ad

 

5E (IC) Scourge of Daggerford

Yet again, poor Escella tried to gather eldritch energy and send it at the ogress, but yet again the energy failed its mark. To her, the worst of it was the sympathetic, patient look on the face of her guard. She was not judged, but she was, perhaps, pitied.

Pain caused an angry, determined focus in Tommi, who climbed the rocky cliff with ease. Finding the slumbering sniper, he ran his fiendish hobgoblin blade, 'gutter' across the orc's throat. As the orc awoke wide-eyed and gurgling, he rolled the brute off of the ledge and watched as the body tumbled down, striking the rocks below. He was in a red haze, and he only snapped out of it when Titus' winged cat Morwen flew over to him and landed nearby, stretching out and demanding affection.

Dandin lunged at the Orog, who beat his weapon aside with the butt of his axe. The orog spun back-and-forth between the halfling and the dwarf, as if he couldn't decide who kill first. Settling on Dandin was a fatal mistake, as Angis took the opportunity to bury his axe into the big orc's side, and the orog fell to the ground.

Sir Darfin and his guards gave Vairar room to work with his spear. The ogress and the elf cleric were arguing in orcish, neither giving way, until Lionel sent one of the wagon's large quarrels, timed perfectly as Titus steadied the horses, across the road and into the ogress' enormous chest. She stopped, mid-insult and fell, nearly burying Vairar.

In the force-cage, the orcish shaman tried once more in vain to soothe the angry bear, and was terribly mauled before being forced to flee. The orc scrambled up the invisible barrier, and collapsed on the other side, surrendering to Vairar and the elf Lord behind him by saying in orcish:

"Luthic the Cave Mother has forsaken me for you. She turns the bear against me. You have killed my family. You are strong, like Gruumsh the Ruiner. My life is yours to take or leave."
GM: Resolutions
(PCs)
Angis did 15 (axe) damage to Orog2 (dead)
Dandin healed himself 7 & missed (sword)
Escella missed (EB)
Lionel did 16 (xbow) damage to Ogre
Titus
held the horses
Tommi killed the sleeping Sniper
Vairar
healed himself 6 & missed (spear)
(NPCs)
Darfin missed again
SunElf Guard1 dodged
SunElf Guard2 dodged
SunElf Guard3 dodged
Blaze dodged
ORB5 dashed (flying)
Morwen dashed (flying)
Ogre dead
Bear did 16 (claw) & 9 (bite) to OrcClaw
OrcClaw
disengaged (at 1 HP)
Orog1 dead
Orog2 dead
OrcSniper dead
Orcs1-6 dead

GM: End of Encounter
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Tommi, on the cliff top, looks down at the body of the orc below, and surveys the scene from the height. He sees his comrades below, weary.

But he knows. There's a tight window.

He calls down, "Friends, we still have the spirit of the Elk upon us. We can hurry and pass through the woods with speed and silence, if we are prepared to keep moving now."

OOC: Not sure what the time left on pass without trace might be. But he's maintained concentration so far.
 

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Dandinlooks at Tommi on the cliff in confusion.

"Where would we be going? This is the camp we came to defeat, isn't it? If anything we should make sure there aren't any more in the cave and see if we can calm this poor bear down before it gets loose. I don't want to have to hurt it any more than it already is..."

With that said he turns to the bear, and attempts to calm it down. Speaking soothingly he casts a healing spell to show that he wants to help.

Using a Healing Word to hopefully help calm the bear down.

Wisdom (Animal Handling): 1d20+4 5
(Halfling Lucky reroll!)
Wisdom (Animal Handling) LUCKY: 1d20+4 5
o_O Seriously? Wow... Uh, he still has a 2 uses of the Animal Friendship casts from the Elk lord. If the bear doesn't climb over the wall and maul him he'll try that.
 


jmucchiello

Adventurer
Escella sits down with her back against the rock. "I need a moment alone," she says to the guard. "Go rejoin the others. I'll be fine. My injuries should be superficial."

(Need to know if the guard leaves or continues following his lord's orders.)
 

Dandin snapped at Tommi, frustrated that he could not get the bear to calm using only his own soothing words, and still stressed from the near-thing that the battle had been. The bear would have fiercely attacked the halfling, were it not still stuck behind the force-wall. But Tommi had mentioned the Elk-spirit's boons, and Dandin had been blessed by the Elk with the ability to befriend beasts such as this, if need be. The halfling willed it, and the bear calmed down.

Seeing this, the orc shaman nodded and hung his head, as if this confirmed his suspicion that the goddess Luthic favoured these people over himself. He was forsaken, and he knew it.

Escella asked for some privacy, and the elf guard nodded and left her to rejoin his comrades.
 

gargoyleking

Adventurer
It was a tremulous moment at first, but then the bear seemed to calm down at last. Dandin was relieved to see his magic work, though he could tell that his connection to the fae magics the elk had bestowed upon him were waning. The thought saddened him, but it wasn't like the experience hadn't had a positive effect on the halfling. Once he was sure that it was safe, he turned to the elf lord.

"Lord Darfin, I think that it should be safe now, can you lower the barrier please?"

Pulling out a piece of goodapple, Dandin prepared to offer it to the bear as soon as he was able. It would be much more manageable on a full stomach, even if magically so, Dandin surmised.
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
Escella takes out a cloth and uses prestidigitation to clean it before wiping her watering eyes. After a deep breath she casts it again to clean the cloth once more and put it away. Then she uses the cantrip a third time to clean her face before she stands up. She walks down the hill to rejoin the others. "Are we going to ask the survivor about what might lie within the cave?" She asks.

Only the one guard probably realizes how much she's cleaned herself up. When he looks at her, she just smiles and hopes he says nothing.
 

MetaVoid

Explorer
"Orc gods never had any favor for you. She didn't forsake you. She never cared. You gave her some minor sliver of power so she returned a drop of it. But she never favored you, wretch. How could she, you surrendered!"

"This one is forsaking his gods in the moment of his death." calls out Vairar in common raising his spear to impale the thing.

"Stop, Vairar!" Lord Darfin interrupts the thrust "This one is some kind of shaman. Could know more than average grunt. Help others, heal who you can then return when you're calm again."

"Come, gather around me, let Lady of the Winds soothe your wounds."
Prayer of healing: 2D8+3 = [4, 5]+3 = 12

Tommi, Dandin, Angis,


OOC:
Angis: 16/40
Dandin: 15/23
Escella: 25/24
Tommi: 26/28
Vairar: 21/31
Sir Darfin: 48/60

Feel free to give your place to one of the guards (esp. Tommi and Escella since the rest of us will spend some healing dice)

Do we continue? After short rest and orc interrogation, I think we have one more fight in us :)
I can cast Prayer once more to include the guards and Angis, Dandin and Vairar, but at the moment, I'd prefer to keep the slots in favor of spending HD. I doubt we will spend all of them before the end of the day.
 
Last edited:



KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Angis Honack
Floshin Estates/South road
Late Afternoon
Round 0

With the orcs and orogs dead or captured, Angis went through the bodies, looking for anything valuable among them. Then he trooped up to their hidey hole beneath the overhang and flopped down, pulling out his healing kit to staunch his wounds.

“Bloody orcs,” he muttered.

Mounted Crossbow: +6 2d6 100/400
Bolts: 18
Bolts used: 0

Marauding gnolls (Ardeep Forest, noble hunting party hostage)
Orcs in the north (Harpshield Castle, Floshin Estate, Newfield)
Lizardfolk with steel weapons and armor (Rock Tower, Crom’s Hold)

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action: Investigation: 1D20 = [8] = 8
Bonus Action:
Horde Breaker:
Reaction:
Concentration: Hunter’s Mark (NA) (591 r)
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 14/15 (dual wield)
HP: 23/40 HD: 0/4d10+2

Bolts: 12
Bolts used:
Handaxes: 12/12

Spells
1) 0/3 Absorb Elements, Cure Wounds, Hunter’s Mark
4/4 Boon of the Elk. Can cast Knock four times (without the loud sound) as an Action. Until he uses the last one, non-good aligned Fey count among his Favoured Enemies.


Vairar - elven cleric
Tommi - human rogue urban bounty hunter
Dandin - halfling bard guild merchant
Enseth - warforged war cleric shield guardian
Angis Honack - dwarven ranger outlander merchant
Titus - human Waterdhavian noble fighter
Lionel - halfling rogue folk hero
Escella - Human sorceror
 

MetaVoid

Explorer
Vairar continues his prayer for different circle of people around him and soon, most of them including all the elves are fine. Angis is still hurt though, but at the moment everything seems good enough.

"We should keep moving. Did you find out anything from the wretch? Should we send one of the guards back with it to the manor?"


OOC:
First heal was for Guard 1 instead of Escella
SunElf Guard116/16

I will excuse myself from this round and spend HD instead
HD short rest: 1D8+2 = [2]+2 = 4
Song of rest: 1D6 = [4] = 4

HD short rest: 1D8+2 = [8]+2 = 10 - eh, couldn't this be first one?!


One spot still open if someone else is wounded...

Since no one asks...
Vairar 31/31
SunElf Guard2 16/16

SunElf Guard3 14/16
Angis: 35/40
Dandin: 23/23
Sir Darfin: 60/60


 
Last edited:

Prickly Pear

Explorer
Titus gathered the horses and led them to the group ahead of him. Lionel looked over the crossbow and made sure everything was good before he put the cover over it.
Greetings! Titus called out to his friends. Looks like we arrived just in time.
Lionel jumped down and rushed over to shake their hands in greeting. It's soo lovely to see you again. This caused a few eye brows to be raised since it was just a day ago the left each other. Lionel was just relieved that everyone was ok and nobody was seriously hurt.

After a while, Lionel walked over and recovered any quarrels he could find.
 

The group moved to the cover of the rocky overhang where they searched the orc's camp. They had a higher-than-average (for orcs) amount of human-minted coins, but they had been raiding, so that fact meant very little. Sir Darfin waved a hand, indicating that the Daggerfordians should take the coins in reward.

"I was not much use in any event," he said, forgetting how vital had been his force cage.

Vairar administered healing to the injured, which the elf guards accepted gratefully. The group rested, having a small meal while discussing what to tackle next, and when to do it.

OOC: I was going to move on, but it occurred to me: Do you want to question the prisoner (the 'shaman') now, or do you want one of the guards to take him back to the manor house and imprison him for later?
 

MetaVoid

Explorer
Vairar nods to new arrivals.
"Thank you for your help. You know some of the group, obviously, I am Vairar. Who might you be?"

He has no interest in asking anything of the foul orc...but he will translate if asked.
 

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Dandin recieved Lionel's hand and pulled his friend into a hug. "You two arrived in the nick of time! I think we maybe bit off a bit more than we could chew there. Thanks for the save!"

After a bit of a rest, and offering the rest of his goodapple out, the halfling spent a bit of time to perform a ritual so that he could at least understand their prisoner.

"Alright you! If you don't want us to turn you over to the tender mercies of the bear you mistreated you'll tell us everything you know."

He of course, couldn't actually speak the orc's language, yet, but as he spoke, he stood next to the bear, giving the animal a good, friendly, scratch behind the ear.

Unfortunately, Dandin had never learned how to truly seem imposing and it didn't help that he twiched a bit whenever the bear made a sudden movement.

Intimidate: 1d20+4 7
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Angis Honack
Floshin Estates/South road
Late Afternoon
Round 0

“Tha’s no’ ‘ow ye dae it, Dandin,” Angis said, picking up his axes. “Grab ‘er ‘ands. Stretch ‘em oot.” He started to sharpen his axes. He switched to Orcish. “How many orcs are at the northern camp? What kind of cover is there? Is there any way we can approach without being noticed?” He leaned over and counted the shaman’s fingers. “Should be hard to cast magic without those,” he commented, “so you best not lead us astray. Answer truthful with us.”

Intimidation: 1D20-1 = [7]-1 = 6


Mounted Crossbow: +6 2d6 100/400
Bolts: 18
Bolts used: 0

Marauding gnolls (Ardeep Forest, noble hunting party hostage)
Orcs in the north (Harpshield Castle, Floshin Estate, Newfield)
Lizardfolk with steel weapons and armor (Rock Tower, Crom’s Hold)

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Horde Breaker:
Reaction:
Concentration: Hunter’s Mark (NA) (590 r)
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 14/15 (dual wield)
HP: 35/40 HD: 0/4d10+2

Bolts: 12
Bolts used:
Handaxes: 12/12

Spells
1) 0/3 Absorb Elements, Cure Wounds, Hunter’s Mark
4/4 Boon of the Elk. Can cast Knock four times (without the loud sound) as an Action. Until he uses the last one, non-good aligned Fey count among his Favoured Enemies.


Vairar - elven cleric
Tommi - human rogue urban bounty hunter
Dandin - halfling bard guild merchant
Enseth - warforged war cleric shield guardian
Angis Honack - dwarven ranger outlander merchant
Titus - human Waterdhavian noble fighter
Lionel - halfling rogue folk hero
Escella - Human sorceror
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Tommi watches Angis interrogate the prisoner at a distance. He has no taste for any of this, and does not understand the leverage Angis holds. Does he mean to kill the captive?

Tommi has no taste for such things when they are not needed. As he looks down, he sees his right hand sitting on Gutter's pommel, ready to draw and strike. That's odd, he thinks, though his hand does not move.
 

MetaVoid

Explorer
"You don't have to threaten him. He realises he is abandoned by his gods. Broken. Weak."
Switching to orcish, Vairar repeats the questions.
"You will go with the elves after you answer. Alive and well. You might consider one of their gods, they are much more benign...but maybe not as accepting as your counterparts."
Changing language once again, he asks the lord in elven
"Should he be executed here, lord? Do you even plan on killing him? I realise your sister may have more time for detailed questioning, but you will have to separate from a guard or two."
 

Halloween Horror For 5E

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top