D&D 5E (IC) Scourge of Daggerford

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Enseth

"My longevity is down to healthy eating habits," chuckled Delfen while patting his round belly, "But nevermind that. Thay, you say? Yes, agents of Thay are constantly scheming all along the Sword Coast - nay, everywhere in Faerun. Your activation must mean that they are about to achieve some level of success and must be stopped at all cost. Gwaereth always was good with auguries and portents - presumably he has given you some time in which to stop them. To be precise, your activation means that Thayans are up to something that we don't want them to achieve, but they may not have even thought of it yet. By all means, pursue your mission, but you may wish to more fully understand the world you have awoken to before you go galavanting off in search of Red Wizards. Patience, my boy."

He patted Enseth affectionately on the construct's hard, shiny shoulder and continued, "But a lecture on Thay would be good for my students. You are welcome to stay here, and I will give you access to my library, but I'm not sure there is anything to be found in my books that will help you to stop what the Red Wizards are planning. Not without an idea as to what it is they are up to, at any rate."

He summoned all three of his students together, and with Enseth as a fourth began his lecture, "The nation of Thay began, far to the east, nearly five-centuries ago, when an exclusive sect called the Red Wizards, declared themselves free from the rule of the God-Kings of Mulhorand when they utterly destroyed the city of Delhumide using the darkest arts imaginable..."

OOC: Delfen's lecture will take a few hours and goes over the basic history of Thay (you can read about on the FR Wiki, if you like). Then he goes on to talk about the dark arts, summoning fiends and creating undead, as the Red Wizards like to do. If anything comes to mind that you need to know as the adventure goes on, I will tell you about it. (Remind me if it comes up.)

Fradak

Explorer
"Understood, I will not make any further mention of your incoherent age, Mester.

I'll write down your advice immediately. New secondary directive: (impersonating Delfen's voice) "Fully understand the world."

I compute you well, Mester. It's make perfect sense to me."

Enseth freezes a couple of seconds before continuing.
"Surprisingly, after a quick query, the solution to this problem appears to be: "42". It seems that I possess insufficient data to compute a more apprehensible answer. My strategic algorithm suggests to engage a trial and error procedure until (Delfen's voice) "Fully understand the world" can be achieve."

During the lecture, Enseth listen with a great interest and record every bits of information he can get. When it's done, he approach the wizard.
"If you allow me, I have an other request. It is a new concept for me and I'm not sure about it but apparently, I would need (Trista's voice) "Allies". Can you provide any assistance on that matter? I suppose it is connected with your own advice in some way."

Last edited:

Archon Basileus

First Post
As Drui arrives at the Table of the Sword, he fetches himself a flagon of the strongest ale possible, allowing the drink to cool him after the walk and lay waste to his consciousness. He does not take an interest in engaging in conversation. He finds it much easier - and far more inviting - to just listen to the loud talk of gendarmes all around as he munches on bread and drinks. Solemn, he might pass for a shifty fellow, if not for his worn-out visage and his fighter-like posture. Despite his silence, his honesty was apparent, even brutal, some would say.

He tries to evaluate his surroundings, studying the fighters' behaviors as he waits for any visible commotion. If nothing too surprising happens, well... Being able to raise a cup for the fallen warriors would always be a nice idea.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Tommi's happy to move to more luxurious digs when the mention of a fish supper is raised. His is the first plate that's cleaned, and he asks for extra bread to mop up what's left of the sauce.

The talk of powerful wizards plotting to take over, or whatever it is, seems not to phase him. He's heard it all before, of course, and understood part of it. There's no way this was ever going to actually impact him, of course.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Titus, Angis, Lionel, Dandin & Tommi

The day wore on to evening as the group enjoyed an extravagant meal at the River Shining Tavern. The host had called Titus "M'Lord" and had ushered them in to a private dining room, where they were served by not one, but three footmen. The fish was very fine, and the service was beyond anything that Tommi and the halflings had ever experienced in their lives.

GM: The meal will cost 1gp per person and if anyone would like to buy everyone a wine pairing, it will be 10gp extra

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Scourge of Daggerford Chapter Two: The Delimbiyr River

Grengel climbed the tight stone spiral staircase to his post at the top of the River Gate. A cool breeze coming from the river made him wish he had brought his greatcoat, but the air was so much cleaner than it was near his home behind Derval's Smithy. He took a long breath and walked over to the crenellations to look out over the river before the last of the day's light faded in the east.

"Careful you don't fall off of there!" said his companion, Whegan, shoving him from behind.

"Cut it out!" laughed Grengel, and the two young militia-men wrestled before returning to their duties.

Again Grengel looked out over the Shining River, now shrouded in shadow. All the riverfolk had beached their boats, or tied them to one of Daggerford's three wharves. The river was clear of boats - or was it? Far to the east, a dark form floated silently on the water, coming down from where the river bent to the north.

"Is that a boat?" Grengel asked Whegan and pointed toward it.

"Naw," replied Whegan, shaking his head, "No light. No one would take a boat on the river this late without a light. Too dangerous. Prolly a tree."

He was right, it was dangerous to travel on the river without a light. Tyndal's crossing, where the Bridge was, was littered with rocks. But wait - there was a light. A flame flickered into his view, then another and another. Suddenly they all leaped from the dark form - a boat, he was sure - and flew across the river, landing on the thatched roof of a cottage on the south shore. The roof burst into flame. More little fires appeared aboard the boat, and in the light of those and the light of the burning cottage, Grengel could make out more details of the boat:

It was tightly packed with hobgoblins, lighting flaming arrows from behind sides built high with shields. Another dark form floated behind the first - another boat.

"Sound the alarm! yelled Grengel, and Whegan jumped to the task, grabbing the large hand-bell and ringing it, he bellowed "Alarm! Seal the gate! Alarm!"

From across Daggerford, the alarm-bell was repeated by each of the towers, and the militia closed and sealed the gates. Citizens cleared the streets and barred and shuttered their homes.

Enseth

From Delfen's Library, Enseth could hear the warning bells. They were automatically repeated by spells in from the attic of Delfen's Tower.

"What is that?" said one of Delfen's students, looking up from a book. He'd never heard it before.

Party at the Shining

As the city's warning bells rang through the streets, the host rushed into the private dining chamber, "I'm sure it is nothing, gentlemen. Feel free to remain here and we will lock the doors. The militia will handle whatever it is."

Drui

When the warning bells sounded, the men at the Table of the Sword had been singing hymns for the fallen. They knew exactly what they were hearing. The men that had families rushed to protect them, the others rushed to the gates. Darrondar Gweth nodded to Drui, "We must find what is going on and bless the militia." He was unsteady on his feet, having drank far too much, but he was steady in his resolve as he grabbed a shield from the wall and marched from the temple.

OOC: Here we go! Finally - sorry it took so long!

Fradak

Explorer
"What is that?" said one of Delfen's students, looking up from a book. He'd never heard it before.

"In all likelihood, it is the alarm signal of Daggerford. It means that some perils are threatening the city, young Mester."

Enseth climbs in the tower (following Delfen maybe) to get better view of the situation (or go to the city walls if the access is restricted).

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
Titus was on his feet the moment the words were out of the host's mouth.

"Sorry, fellows, I'm afraid the celebration must wait."

He sent a mental command to Morwin to scout ahead and see what the problem was as Titus ran to his room in the tavern to grab his weapons and armor.

Sent from my iPad using EN World

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Dandin looked up at the sounds, thinking. Was this a drill day? For that matter when did they ever sound the alarms in the evening? Even as Titus stood to go, Dandin did as well. He smelled an opportunity and wouldn't want to miss out. Dangerous as the venture might be. "Sounds like trouble. I'll join you."

Dandin wasn't entirely sure where the 'mi'lord' had come from before, but Titus didn't seem the type to expect protocol. Even if he was noble born. Fortunately, Dandin kept his equipment ready at all times as even small cities such as this could be dangerous for a merchant.

Squirrels are evil!

Last edited:

Remove ads