• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[IC] The Odd Job

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Darrowhill/Tomb
Evening
Round 0

“As I understand it, Lord William paid for the tomb,” Hrgach said. “No idea why he would do that. What’s that little halfling got on the lord other than that he’s a werewolf? Maybe we’ll find out here.”

When Galdar picks up the long pole, Hrgach raised his eyebrow. “You really going to try this?” he asked. He looked down into the pit. “It’s only thirty feet down,” he said. “We could climb down and cross. I’m not seeing anything but the spikes. Or instead of walking across, I say we mock up some kind of sling and just pull ourselves along under the rope.” He pulled the rope and grappling hook off his pack and started looping and knotting one end.

[sblock=Actions]
Action:
Move:
Free:
Bonus Action:
Reaction: Shield (if needed)
[/sblock]

[sblock=Initiative]
[/sblock]

[sblock=Stats]
Inspiration: 0
AC: 17 (chainmail, defensive fighting style)
HP: 31/31 Vitality: 17/17 HD: 3/3d10
Saving Face (1/R)
Second Wind (1/R)
Action Surge (1/R)

Cantrips: Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure
L1 (2/2): Absorb Elements, Burning Hands, Shield
Weapon Bond: Greatsword, Bat’leth
[/sblock]

At the comment, Ana looks at the walls of the pit trying to figure out how easy it might be to climb down this side and up the other side.
OOC: [roll0] I have no idea what this roll is
+1 investigation
+4 perception
+4 athletics

And the dice roller hates me.

Azurewraith

Explorer
GM: Man it really does. I'll go with perception.

Ana insorcts the walls of the pit they have definitely been crafted in a way to make climbing them difficult. The stone is smooth with morter filling in the gaps between the slabs. It would be difficult but not impossible to scale it would certainly require climbing equipment.

"I think the chances of getting down, across the bottom, and up are as slim as walking across the rope. Maybe hanging under the rope will be easier. But getting up from the rope on the other side unassisted will be hard as well."

OOC: Is there anything on the other side that might be grappling hooked?

Azurewraith

Explorer
GM: So rules for grappling hooks don't exist, not even a length, this leads me to believe that it is sold as simply the metal head and one must attach it to a rope. Given that you are under no time constraints I'll allow it to be attached with no role and no chance of failure. Your going to have to throw this thing 50ft across,the full length of the rope I'll add. Given you are trying to hit a target using own arm to throw it I would go with strength over dex and a attack roll to hit the door. Given the extreme range I think the attack should be made at disadvantage. How's that sound?

OOC:
GM: So rules for grappling hooks don't exist, not even a length, this leads me to believe that it is sold as simply the metal head and one must attach it to a rope. Given that you are under no time constraints I'll allow it to be attached with no role and no chance of failure. Your going to have to throw this thing 50ft across,the full length of the rope I'll add. Given you are trying to hit a target using own arm to throw it I would go with strength over dex and a attack roll to hit the door. Given the extreme range I think the attack should be made at disadvantage. How's that sound?

Every weapon with the thrown ability has a range of 20/60 so there's no reason why the hook should be better than a dagger. A sling, similar swing and throw mechanism, is 30/120. So disadvantage seem's appropriate. Whether or not Dex works is kind of counter-5E but I see where that's coming from.

Problem is D20 based games put too much ability into Dex. Mutants and Masterminds fixes that by splitting Strength and Dexterity into Strength, Dexterity, Agility and Fighting. But I digress. :)

OOC: I didn't see in the description of this room but is there a door across the way or just the doorway? Also is there any kind of landing on the otherside or is it a sheer face with a doorway in it?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads