D&D 5E (IC) Vault of the Dracolich (Ensemble)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
@Celestial

The young servant is so startled by your floating pastry trick that he nearly spills the wine. The halfling claps her hands and smiles, a twinkle of honest joy in her eyes.

@eayres33

The one-legged man scratches at his greying beard and says "What's that? Some sort of game?" His accent is thick, and obviously northern.

@Ancalagon

The servant, distracted by the floating pastry and the large half-orc heading towards him, fails to notice you head for the stairs. The halfling gives you a look that suggests she doubts you are authorized, but she shuffles out of your way so you don't step on her as you take your first steps up the iron stairs.

@River Song

As you approach the food table, the young servant, who was red-faced only moments before, turns white and squeaks, "Master Imani will be here soon!"

Last edited:

eayres33

Explorer
"Yes, a game of sorts,” Drako began before he looked around the room, trying to shake off the fatigue of the long journey. “A game I’ve never actually been particularly good at.”

Trying to gather himself he grabbed a few bites of food and then filled his tankard with ale. Nodding his head at the servant Drako reintroduces himself, “Hello sir, I am Professor Sateen and I am in search of a wizard named Imani, if you can point me in his direction I would be grateful.”

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The front door, which has been open most of this time, shuts, revealing the obvious senior of the two servants, a balding man with a well-kept beard. Seeing that the gathered adventurers are growing increasingly impatient, he clears his throat and announces in a clear voice which fills the room, "Thank you all for coming. I am Lowell. My Master is Imani, the Wizard who has requested your presence. He is here, and will present himself shortly, when everyone has gathered*. While you wait, please enjoy the food and drink that my Master has had prepared for you.**"

[sblock=passive insight 12+]He hides it well, but he seems concerned that Imani has not come down.[/sblock]

[sblock=passive perception 13+]As the crowd returns to activity, he mutters to himself, "Should have hired a bard."[/sblock]

OOC: Still learning how to format this stuff. Speaking of, I could direct some comments directly to characters if you put passive insight and perception at the bottom of your posts during social interaction scenes. Or is there a better way of doing it? In case you missed it, I've never DM'd PBP.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
OOC: @ancalagon I am going to assume you continue up the stairs here, to save back-and-forth on it. If you prefer NOT to go up. Sorry about that.

Udit slips up the stairs with no-one noticing. (No-one who cares at any rate).

The room above is clearly a Wizard's study, with tables and shelves covered with books and oddities. After a short landing, another staircase of the same style continues upward to another level. The central floor of the room has been cleared for some sort of ritual: A circle is inscribed on the floor in wax, with runes of various colours, and candles (currently unlit) at decorative positions in the pattern. Across the room, an old man, with a dark complexion, and curly grey hair, faces a full-length mirror - his back to Udit - and mutters softly to himself.

"You can do this, Old Man. This time we shall have her, and they will not. We will succeed. We must succeed."

He turns his face to one side, and Udit can clearly see the scars that cover that full side of his face. He adjusts his robes, dons a pair of expensive eyeglasses, and turns toward the stairs...

GM: Udit can try to slip back down the stairs before he's spotted (stealth 12), or pretend to have just arrived (deception 15), or another action if you prefer.

River Song

Explorer
Kurzon walks casually over to the speaker and in a low voice, "Tell me Lowell, where is your master?"

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Init: +0
AC: 20
HP: 36/36

Spell Slots 1st 3/3
Divine Senses 3/3
Channel Divinity 1/1
Lay on Hands 20

Passive Perception: 11
Passive Insight: 13
[/sblock]

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Udit froze upon seeing the scene. Clearly the wizard was busy wizarding, a task best not interrupted. Udit took a slow step back... but upon hearing the announcement downstairs, Udit winced - that halfling had played him false! Trying to embarrass him. Jealous of his boots, no doubt. Time to make an exit...

stealth down the stairs (intro scene) : 1D20+7 = [13]+7 = 20

Udit made his way down the stairs and discretely slips besides the table, grabbing bread discretely. As he munched on the bread he wondered what that wizard was on about. Who was "her"? and what about "they?" This language was a mess, with all those pro-nounz that told you nothing...

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Kurzon walks casually over to the speaker and in a low voice, "Tell me Lowell, where is your master?"

Lowell appears flustered, and then a look of relief crosses his face as he looks towards the spiral stairs. Kurzon follows his gaze and sees colourful robes defending. They are followed by the tired-looking, scarred face of the Wizard Imani.

Imani the Sage (small).png

OOC: Might as well move along. There are enough here for a full party. If at least two others join, we can split into two parties of four, with a Genasi in each. I've still got a bit of a preamble before we really get going, so there's time yet.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"Hail, Heroes!" calls the Wizard Imani, Sage of Hap, using the stairs as a stage, so he can be seen by all the gathering.

Seeing that he may have overdone his greeting, he clears his throat and quickly gets to the point, "I have gathered you here today at great expense. Some years ago, I traveled with an adventuring group known as the Company of the Sunlit Sea. Like many of you, we hunted for treasure and lore. One item in particular caught my - caught our - attention: The Fabled Diamond Staff of Chomylla*. Said to unlock the ancient secrets of Elf Loremasters of Uvaraen**. This item we tracked to a forgotten temple of the once-dead god, Bhaal. We had no idea what trouble we would find inside."

* [Sblock=Arcana (Trained Only) DC15]The Diamond Staff is one of at least 3 long-lost Lorestaffs of the elves of Uvaraen. It is made of magically elongated diamond, and each facet is inscribed in a long-forgotten ancient elven script. The staff is said to house a remnant of the personality of it's creator, Chomylla, and her vast knowledge of ancient elven magics.[/sblock]

** [sblock=History DC15]The elves of Uvaraen were ancient lore-keepers who were wiped out by the cataclysmic arrival of a shooting star. Chomylla was an Uvaraenni who is said to have escaped the catastrophe. [/sblock]

After a dramatic pause, he continues, "The Cult of the Dragon and one of their terrible creations - the Dracolich, Dretchroyaster*** - had discovered the temple before us, and made it into a lair. My friends and I braved the dangers of the Dracolich's chambers and caverns in search of a way to claim the staff. Unfortunately, we were forced to turn back when a trap was triggered that left me burned beyond healing."

*** [sblock=History DC15]Dretchroyaster was a venerable Green Dragon who was famed for his love of hunting Centaurs. It is said that a few centuries ago, he devastated the Dalelands. Like most ancient dragons, stories suggest that he often sleeps for centuries at a time. It would be better if he were sleeping. You really hope he's sleeping. Do dracoliches sleep? [/sblock]

"My friends and I were able to leave this lie and follow other pursuits - the Cult of the Dragon knew not what they held. But of late, my divinations have revealed that the Cult have discovered the staff, and are pouring eldritch energy into it in an attempt to unlock the secrets and power of all Uvaeren. We cannot allow the ancient knowledge of the Lorelands to fall into the hands of the Cult. Such magic in the service of evil will have grave consequences to our world."

At this, many of the gathered adventurers nod their heads in understanding while others begin to shuffle their feet and look concerned about what is obviously next: "I have brought you together to do what I and my adventuring companions could not: You must enter the Vault of the Dracolich and recover the Diamond Staff. The fate of the Dalelands - and the rest of the world - may rest in your hands."

River Song

Explorer
"No pressure then," Kurzon chuckles drily. "But I am certainly up for it,
just two quick questions Master Mage."

"Firstly, what does this staff look like? And then, do we get to keep what we find?"

eayres33

Explorer
Drako Sateen

Drako nods his head trying his best to follow what the old wizard was saying. He had heard of the Diamond Staff of Chomylla, at least he thought he had heard of it. Imani was right, they needed to keep it out of evil hands, much better in his hands, or the groups, or Imani’s if necessary.

“We will not fail you sir!” Drako said with gusto.

OOC:
Passive Insight 10
Passive Perception 12

Remove ads