D&D General Identity of Monsters Post-Alignment (+)

Puddles

Adventurer
On the other hand, for Goblins and things like that, I have pushed them all in the other direction and made them fiends/ akin to demons. Goblins are not biological creatures, but things spawned out of the darkest shadows in the deepest mountain caves as the waxing half-moon passes across the sky. Their magic is tied to the moon and has an abyssal taint to it. I do something similar with Gnolls and Orcs and any other mook I want the party to battle without worrying about them doing the right or wrong thing. I basically turn them all into demons or evil spirits.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
My husband ran a horrorish game where my character was a monster-hunter and inquisitive who was part of an order of people studying and investigating magical and monstrous events to try and find out what was really happening and put a stop to it.

One of the cases to which I was assigned was a village where three children had gone missing, as well as an adventurer who had taken it upon himself to try and find out what happened. The village was quiet, insular, reticent to tell me what had happened... but speaking to one of the residents who had "Taken Ill" I slowly learned a lot more.

The village was being tormented by two separate entities. One intentionally, the other unintentionally. The girl who had "Taken Ill" was dead. Her corpse possessed by a demonic spirit who took over the body the -instant- it was vacated to escape from a greater evil. This demonling was a clue to a larger plot involving a terrible darkness that was coming, one that frightened even the monstrous.

The children had been going missing because of... a Troll. But not your standard D&D troll, no. A cross between the 3e style of troll and the folklore horror function of them: Child-Eaters who could compress their bodies to hide in small spaces and the like, as well as impersonate the voices of his victims.

That stuff got CREEPY with a quickness.

The troll wasn't "Evil because Evil" he was evil because his diet and hunting style made him wicked and cruel. Meanwhile the Demon was "Evil because Evil" but was more than willing to help out if it meant she would be kept safe from the horror that was coming. Oh, she was still mean and cruel, and lashed out at others because the only life she had known was an eternity of torment by those of greater power than her own... But mostly that manifested in a desire to inflict petty harms on others. Scaring them, threatening them, scratching people who got too close and generally being an ill-tempered cuss.

And that's how we added a full on Demon to our adventuring party without a big moral conflict about murder and the like. 'Cause while the Troll was evil by action, she was evil by personality, and both were to varying degrees.

The last part of which is, by far, the most important part. Just because someone is CE doesn't mean their evil nature is "Burning down Orphanages". Sometimes it just means being incredibly rude and spiteful, or emotionally harmful.

... D&D really needs, like, a Magnitude Scale for their alignment.

Evil 1 would be "Absolute Jerk"
Evil 5 would be "Murders for Fun"

jgsugden

Legend
Monsters, even when limited to intelligent monsters, covers a lot of ground. A lich, an angel, a bugbear, a wight and Blackrazor may all be considered intelligent monsters - and they're all different discussions. And I don't think there is an easy answer.

In my campaign world, when this issue first rose up a decade or so ago, I decided to specify that free will wasn't a given. Some intelligent creatures had it, others did not.

Generally, humanoids tended to have it. They had the freedom to choose, and it is because they have the freedom to choose that their prayers to their Gods mean so much. Essentially Divine Power relies upon free will and people choosing to follow Gods.

However, outside humanoids (and in some cases, within humanoids (Goblins and Gnolls in particular), free will is rare. Creatures are born with base impulses, compulsions, dedications and oppositions. This is something inflicted upon them by Gods, Elder Powers, ancestors, etc... They suffer from the same problem as the Scorpion in th Scorpion and the Frog. They do things because it is in their nature. However, there are always exceptions born with free will and the ability to choose their own path free of instinctual influence. Others are freed of the influence (remove curse ends it when cast a specific way). There is a large storyline in my campaign that surrounds the belief that this is wrong and needs to end so that all creatures are free to choose.

I'm looking at this concept now and considering how it needs to evolve. I don't have an easy answer.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Kobolds.

Kobolds also 'worshipped' death. To the kobold survivors, death was an inevitable stalker to be slowed down if no contained. This is why some kobolds appear to be obsessed with traps; they intend to delay or defeat death's many avatars by trapping them and hindering their progress. Over centuries, this has mutated. In some groups, creating traps has gone into creating mechanical devices, both functional or aesthetic--the more complex the better.

Before the end of the world, kobolds had been created as servitors to the old dragons. When those dragons died and the kobolds lived, their belief and loyalty was shattered. When the new dragons took over the world, some saw this as punishment for abandoning the old ways and tried to throw themselves back into service--deeply confusing the new dragons, who put them to work as menial labor and nannies to their eggs. When the dragon nations finally lost, the kobolds were ALL seen as Quislings by outsiders, even the ones who never bent the knee or rebelled. It has been centuries and kobolds still labor under the concocted stereotype of sniveling cowards who will serve anyone strong.

The truth is, most kobolds have, until recently turned their backs on society and tried living their lives on the fringes and explicitly avoiding the cruel and corrupt trappings of contemporary society. Ironically, as the world's view on dragons has softened, kobolds are now seen with (unwanted) pity, which has prodded some kobolds to decide to go out and set the record straight, setting out to become brave adventurers, prominent bards, and even villainous masterminds (basically straight up supervillains and mad scientists).

With all the chaos this brings into their lives, a lot of kobolds want even harder to be left alone, putting their trapping traditions to work keeping lookie-loos away from their homes out of shear exasperation.

MattW

Explorer
Kobolds: The Private Military Company

Consider the role of Mercenaries in a sort-of-medieval/renaissance world. People like Sir John Hawkwood, for instance. Ideally, you want mercenaries who are competent, relatively cheap and likely to stick to their contract. Evil but (usually) trustworthy bastards are preferred.

I can see Kobolds used as mercenaries or "Auxiliaries" by various Human-dominated empires or City States. Why risk humans when you can buy the services of a regiment of Kobolds? It might even be the more "civilized" option (less rape, more pillage).

The innate abilities of Kobolds make them an obvious choice for military adventures. They have some magical abilities and can be numerous, well-organised and ruthless. They also fight well at night, which is a huge advantage over most human armies. Also, they don't want to conquer farmland in the nice, sunny parts of the world. The late Romans could tell you why this is important....

The Kobold Kolonel and his or her officers will be more intelligent and skilled that the average kobold, or even the average human. They will be well-paid and (in consequence) they might develop expensive tastes and become wealthy patrons of the arts or influential in politics. After all, they have to do SOMETHING with their gold. They might even hire adventurers.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
In my campaign...

Hobgoblins are unrelated to goblins, are more technologically advanced than the other races, are a very lawful culture who are also expansionist, and are one of the Big 5 players.

Orcs are northern steppe nomads who operate much like the Dothraki from GoT. They are one of the Big 5 as well.

Humans are divided into an eastern and western culture split because of a large mid continent mountain range. The eastern culture is has a generic asian feel. The western culture is currently a rampaging theocracy. They are one of the Big 5.

Elves are also split into eastern and western divisions , however their network of portals and modes of magical communication keeps them from having a culture split. They are fairly basic DnD elves and are one of the Big 5.

Finally the dwarves are the last of the Big 5 and are pretty stereotypical of dwarves.

All other races vary from having minor areas of control to just having a small population of loose individuals.

Bulkywugs live in an abandoned city sinking in the swamp, like Venice with canals and such. They have formed a cargo cult thinking that dressing fancy and acting wealthy will actually summon the wealth they desire. They wear old fashioned ragged clothing poorly ipkept that they have looted from the city. They also sport fake beard and moustaches to look "lordly". Their main economy is hosting a yearly gladiator tournament.

Guthyanki have hidden training outposts in the wilds of the mountains. They are as likely to host you as a guest to gather info on the world's news as they are to kill you so you don't disclose their location.

A very powerful aboleth of super ancient age wants to transition to divinity and get "promoted".

A bunch of Fey are fighting with some outcasts with both sides courting the PCs to tip the balance.

An arcanoloth sits in town gathering scraps of secrets to report back home in return for treasure .

Basically...almost nothing in my world is "in evil so I want to kill you" evil. Every group has a reason for why they are there and a thing they are interested in accomplishing. The players will eventually bump up against some of their plans and make enemies ...but nothing other than random hungry monsters are just plain evil.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I'm working on a setting where mongrelfolk are a major PC race. Only they're called evri because "they have a little bit of everyone in them." They're considered (especially by themselves) as being the True Children of the setting area--a giant extradimensional, always-shifting Dungeon.

Remove ads