D&D General If you could put D&D into any other non middle ages genre, what would it be?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
High Noon. They meet at the middle of the road, draw and shoot. And shoot. Shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, reload, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, reload, shoot, shoot and shoot and the loser drops dead has his 60 HP are out....

The D&D combat and HP system favors melee so much that any setting with primarily ranged weapons will look very strange, no classes or not.

Like I said, change the damage of guns.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
High Noon. They meet at the middle of the road, draw and shoot. And shoot. Shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, reload, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, reload, shoot, shoot and shoot and the loser drops dead has his 60 HP are out....

The D&D combat and HP system favors melee so much that any setting with primarily ranged weapons will look very strange, no classes or not.

*blink*
What edition of D&D are you talking about? Because in 5e, you can do TONs of damage with ranged. Archery style, Sharpshooter, crossbow expert, good dex, you are looking at 3d6+45 damage per round, assuming level 5-10 range. If the foes have 60 hp and light armor, this will be over in a round or two!

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
My issue with D&D rules in other genres is challenging the characters at higher levels given their HP and damage dealing increases. In the Age of Sail setting, for example, how does that work out? Or do campaigns need to be level limited?

I would run it with another system, perhaps a slight tweak of warhammer. I've actually run a pirate campaign with that, worked well.

Tony Vargas

Legend

That doesn't actually look that strange, not if the characters are running around, dodging, seeking cover, breaking Los and trying to get the drop on eachother (and lots of minor characters gunned down in the process)... as sometimes happens in genre - if all that hp-ablation is narrated on accord with genre (near-misses, even actual misses that still inflict damage and/or some other effect), down to the final dramatic-wounding or fatal shot.

Now, an actual quickdraw showdown would need special *ahem* sudden-death rules...

CapnZapp

Legend
Well, in the "real" shootout at the OK Corral (which didn't take place at the Corral) there were about 30 rounds shot in 30 seconds. So 30 attacks in a 5 round combat? Sounds a little low for the number of attacks, but it's in the ballpark. The whole concept of standing 20 yards away from each other and ending a fight with a single shot was a convenience for old westerns that rarely had the budget or desire to have realistic gunfights. Not that there were all that many gunfights to begin with.

As far as one bullet always being fatal, somebody should tell this guy that that was shot 21 times that he's actually dead. Or this guy that was shot 27 times after being knocked unconscious by a grenade. There are more stories just a google away. Of course recovery is far too easy in D&D, but that can always be hand-waved by "magic".
You can't seriously expect people to abandon their genre expectations.

Plus, for every person you show survived dozens of bullets, I'll show you dozens of people who were killed or out after just one.

Try justifying that by explaining who's level one and who's level twelve...

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
side note

*blink*
What edition of D&D are you talking about? Because in 5e, you can do TONs of damage with ranged. Archery style, Sharpshooter, crossbow expert, good dex, you are looking at 3d6+45 damage per round, assuming level 5-10 range.

So much for 5e's promise of reining in the numbers bloat - yikes!

/side note

CapnZapp

Legend
And I will show you hundreds killed from a single stab with a dagger.
Now you're contorting yourselves just for the sake of argument.

Any "one hit kill" reality, where a gun doing 10% of your hit points is "mockery", is one where you need to look elsewhere than D&D. Yes, it really is that simple.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases