• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E If you use thunderstep but teleport less than 10 feet do you take damage?

Lyxen

Great Old One
I've had to personally disallow pre-combat readied actions. I didn't want to, since it makes sense to me- an archer could knock their bow while a door is being opened, and so on.

True, it's one of the powers of ranged weapons but see below...

But this created two problems- one, a battle can suddenly be very easy when the instant an enemy appears, it gets peppered with ranged attacks.

Yes and no, remember in particular that neither extra attacks nor multi attacks work with readied action, since the action is not during the archer's turn. This severely limits the efficiency of that tactic at all levels.

And two, and worse, is when I allowed enemies the same luxury. Turns out it's not a happy moment when someone strolls into a room to get shot full of holes by archers (imagine that)!

Same as above, and it's also a fairly classic trope, so characters should be ready for it just as some NPCs should be ready for it, at least some of them.

Anyway, I suppose it depends on your group, never had a problem with our groups.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
And you still have not answered the question from your DM, a simple one: "Are you trying to get away from the caster's disappearance point as fast as you can ?"

You are obviously trying to screw with the system to prove a point, not playing the character in good faith, and the problem is that you don't understand the system, you are laying a tons of personal assumptions on top of a system which is very flexible.
Yes and no. It's perfectly feasible to want to crawl away from that spot as I showed with the short wall and goblins. Am I trying to get away as fast as I can? No. I don't know where the wizard is coming out. He might be 5 feet away from where he was or 200 feet in front of me.

The point is that it doesn't matter. Once my readied action goes off, his action is interrupted completely until after mine is completed, so I would still be out of range of the thunder and safe, despite crawling away and a typical crawl speed.
And that's where you are failing, because you are not using RAW< you are using your personal vision of it, cluttered by so many pre-conceptions of yours that don't exist in the RAW, for example that readied actions are started by other actions, that the teleport disappearance and appearance are absolutely simultaneous (they are not, in the rules), that you can spend the whole round as a player, when all you get, RAW, is a turn, etc. Let go of your pre-conceptions and you will see that there are many other ways to play the system RAW than the ones that you are trying to impose on us.
No, I'm using RAW and none of the rest of that even applies here as I'm using YOUR interpretation of RAW here, allowing me to interrupt the instant spell in the middle. It's YOUR interpretation that allows the PC to crawl away at normal speed and be safe, not mine.
I'm sorry, but as a player, saying that the trigger is the disappearance is perfectly legal, it's a perceivable circumstance. Do you deny this ?

After that, the thunder occurs AFTER the disapperance. Do you deny this ? I would be surprised, because it's written straight out in the spell description.

After that, the readied action INTERRUPTS the turn, without any other constraint, do you deny this ? It's again, written plainly in the RAW.
No, it's perceivable. No, it happens after. And correct, it interrupts the turn. What is not plainly written, is whether the trigger is just what you perceive or if the trigger INCLUDES any instant effects tied to it like the attack Sage Advice indicates. You assume no. I assume yes. RAW doesn't say.
No, it does not, once more, you are inventing things. The rules simply say: " A round represents about 6 seconds in the game world. During a round, each participant in a battle takes a turn. The order of turns is determined at the beginning of a combat encounter, when everyone rolls initiative. Once everyone has taken a turn, the fight continues to the next round if neither side has defeated the other."
This is where you are going astral. It says that the round represents around 6 second and that during that round you get a turn where you take your actions, etc. Nowhere does it say that you only get 2 seconds or 1 second for your turn. You're inventing that shortening. If you want the turn to be less than the round time, you need to show something written to support you.
Simple example: On your TURN, you walk 30 feet up to an opponent. Then an opponent hits you, causing to go down, and then moves 30 feet. End of round. Are you going to pretend that you spent 6 seconds walking your 30 feet, and that because of that, your opponent had to move his own 30 feet instantly because you "ate" all the six seconds of the round in your turn ?
Combat is funky, because it has to be turn based to run. You can try to imagine it as simultaneous, but it will be just as funky if you do that as if you don't, because simultaneous is not how things play out in turn based combat.

The reality is that everyone has consecutive turns that all last 6 seconds, yet the round is not longer than 6 seconds and is not simultaneous. It's an unrealistic system that is a must in order to have combats take less than 10 hours to complete.
It's ridiculous, because although some actions can be described as happening in parallel, sometimes there IS a sequence. In the example above, you are 30 feet away from where you started, right where the opponent was, and that opponent is 30 feet away from your body. All of that happened in about 6 seconds, so there is NO WAY you spend all that time moving your first 30 feet.
It depends on what you do. If you only move 30 feet and that's it, that's what you spent your 6 seconds on. If you move and dash, then you moved 60 feet in 6 seconds. If you move 30 and attack, then you spent 6 seconds doing that.

There is NOTHING to support your assertion that turns are less than 6 seconds when the rules say during the round you get a turn and can do X, which directly translates to, "During the 6 seconds you can do X."
In the extremely simple example above, I have proven to you that your turn was less than 6 seconds long
You haven't. You only made a declaration that goes against what is written.
  • "When a creature within 5 feet of you makes an attack against a target other than you (and that target doesn't have this feat), you can use your reaction to make a melee weapon attack against the attacking creature."
  • " If a reaction has no timing specified, or the timing is unclear, the reaction occurs after its trigger finishes, as in the Ready action."
Sentinel is a standard reaction, so it occurs after its trigger finishes, as explained in the SAC.
And the trigger is the attack, not a hit and not damage, all three of which are perceivable. So if the trigger is the attack, that trigger is complete before the attack roll or damage roll...............................by your reading of the rules anyway.
I'll give you one more based on shield, someone casts a Magic Missile at you, an instantaneous effect. And it can occur when you are "targeted by the magic missile spell", even if you are not even aware that the spell has been cast ! So even if you are totally oblivious of the casting, when you are targeted and the spell is cast and the missiles are instantaneously flying towards you, you can still interrupt that with a casting of shield and prevent the spell. If it's not interrupting an instantaneous effect, I don't know what it is.
Specific timing there, so it doesn't apply. Ready has no such specific timing as per the DMG.

Lyxen

Great Old One
Yes and no. It's perfectly feasible to want to crawl away from that spot as I showed with the short wall and goblins. Am I trying to get away as fast as I can? No. I don't know where the wizard is coming out. He might be 5 feet away from where he was or 200 feet in front of me.

Again dithering and not providing a clear answer. Since you prepared an action from when the caster disappeared, you had something in mind, otherwise, once more, it would have been a very silly action to.

But no matter, by refusing to answer once more, you are just proving that you are only trying to dick with the rules here, it's not a case that has any relevance to actual play.

The point is that it doesn't matter. Once my readied action goes off, his action is interrupted completely until after mine is completed, so I would still be out of range of the thunder and safe, despite crawling away and a typical crawl speed.

The thing is that there is nothing that represents a "typical crawling speed". Have you not understood yet that, as a player, you have absolutely zero control about the actual velocity of your move ? You only know HOW FAR you are allowed to move with the action allocated to you. But the time that you will take is not yours to decide, it's entirely up to the DM.

No, I'm using RAW and none of the rest of that even applies here as I'm using YOUR interpretation of RAW here, allowing me to interrupt the instant spell in the middle. It's YOUR interpretation that allows the PC to crawl away at normal speed and be safe, not mine.

The problem is that, while I have given you many times the rules that support my view, you still have not provided a single shred of evidence that support you. The only thing that you have are convictions about the simultaneity of things or about the unicity of actions that is not supported by anything.

No, it's perceivable. No, it happens after. And correct, it interrupts the turn.

At last, we are progressing. Why did it take 16 pages for you to acknowledge these simple truths ?

What is not plainly written, is whether the trigger is just what you perceive or if the trigger INCLUDES any instant effects tied to it like the attack Sage Advice indicates. You assume no. I assume yes. RAW doesn't say.

Once more, you are inventing things. An attack or a damage rolls are not effects. Are they effects for you ? Are you going to cling to this new absurdity ?

So no, the Sage Advice on Sentinel gives you zero support, you are once again relying on inventing rules and denominations that appear nowhere in the rules.

This is where you are going astral. It says that the round represents around 6 second and that during that round you get a turn where you take your actions, etc. Nowhere does it say that you only get 2 seconds or 1 second for your turn.

But more importantly, nowhere does it say that your turn is any specified amount of time, and in particular that it's equal to the duration of the round. If you thing it is, PROVE IT.

Because my perspective is that the game is not as prescriptive as what you think and that you are, once more, inventing rules.

You're inventing that shortening. If you want the turn to be less than the round time, you need to show something written to support you.

I don't need any support. I'm just claiming that nowhere does the game specify the length of a turn, because it would lead to inconsistencies. YOU are the one claiming that a turn is 6 seconds long, so YOU have to prove it.

Unfortunately, I have proven to you with a very simple example, that it cannot be the case, so I'm very curious how you're going to prove that.

Again, my point is that a turn does not have a fixed length of time and that no one is allowed to specify it, especially precisely.

Combat is funky, because it has to be turn based to run. You can try to imagine it as simultaneous, but it will be just as funky if you do that as if you don't, because simultaneous is not how things play out in turn based combat.

And the problem, once more, is that you want things to be absolute. They are not. Indeed, it would be silly if all combat was simultaneous, as I 've shown in the example, but it would be equally silly if things were completely in sequence. It's a mix of both, players declare the intents of their characters in terms of actions and the DM describes what happens, trying his best to have thing happen that make sense, and that's all there is to it.

Stop trying to constrain the game the way you would like, it does not work that way, you are the one hitting walls on your own with the constraints that you want to impose.

The reality is that everyone has consecutive turns that all last 6 seconds

PROVE IT. It's nowhere in the game. Again, prove the length of a turn.

yet the round is not longer than 6 seconds and is not simultaneous. It's an unrealistic system that is a must in order to have combats take less than 10 hours to complete.

It has nothing to do with that. It's unrealistic because D&D is unrealistic anyway, starting with HP and AC and spells, but its NARRATIVE and it works for that.

It depends on what you do. If you only move 30 feet and that's it, that's what you spent your 6 seconds on.

And as shown in my example, it does not work, because if someone else plays after your turn and before the round is complete, he will not have any time to do it. Hence you are simply, irrevocably wrong.

If you move and dash, then you moved 60 feet in 6 seconds. If you move 30 and attack, then you spent 6 seconds doing that.

And again, it's not possible, since you are not leaving time for other participants to act after your turn, as specified by the rules. So it's wrong. Simply.

There is NOTHING to support your assertion that turns are less than 6 seconds when the rules say during the round you get a turn and can do X, which directly translates to, "During the 6 seconds you can do X."

And once more, you have totally failed to prove that a turn lasts 6 seconds. It simply does not. Not only do the rules NOT say it, but on top of that it's patently absurd even on very simple examples. You will have to do way better than this.

You haven't. You only made a declaration that goes against what is written.

OK, since you insist, in my very simple example (remember, you do your complete turn, moving 30 feet, then it's someone else's turn, he drops you and moves 30 feet), what did I say that goes again what is written ? I'm sorry, I will not drop this because it's obvious, from this very simple example, that your conception of a turn is utterly wrong. So what do I say, in this example, that goes against what is written ?

The only thing that I'm contradicting is your belief that a turn lasts 6 seconds, but since it's written NOWHERE in any of the rules for any edition of the game, I'm not too worried...

And the trigger is the attack, not a hit and not damage, all three of which are perceivable.

No, it's not a hit and a damage, it's an attack ROLL and a damage ROLL. Are these perceivable by a character ? The only thing that is perceivable is an attack, and whether it hits or misses.

So if the trigger is the attack, that trigger is complete before the attack roll or damage roll...............................by your reading of the rules anyway.

Only, once more, you are not reading the rules, I have given you enough pointers by now on that section which is all three paragraphs long. But you insist on calling a roll "an effect", and at that stage, I'm afraid there is nothing more that can be done.

Specific timing there, so it doesn't apply. Ready has no such specific timing as per the DMG.

And therefore, the global rule applies, it's right after the trigger finishes. But what's the point, you have already acknowledged that I'm right about this when you said: "No, it's perceivable. No, it happens after. And correct, it interrupts the turn." What more needs to be said ?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
True, it's one of the powers of ranged weapons but see below...

Yes and no, remember in particular that neither extra attacks nor multi attacks work with readied action, since the action is not during the archer's turn. This severely limits the efficiency of that tactic at all levels.

Same as above, and it's also a fairly classic trope, so characters should be ready for it just as some NPCs should be ready for it, at least some of them.

Anyway, I suppose it depends on your group, never had a problem with our groups.
Sure, they only get one attack or spell or whatever, but here's the issue. Ready has a cost. You give up your action now, to take a reaction later. If you Ready before combat begins, before initiative is rolled, it's "free". You just get to take a reaction before anything else happens.

After I started having enemies ready whenever they were aware the players were nearby, I started getting the melee constantly readying actions to run for cover or other things that could protect them from enemy readied actions- the incident where I finally said, ok, we're done here, was when one player opened a door with another player readying an action to close the door if they saw any enemies.

Lyxen

Great Old One
Sure, they only get one attack or spell or whatever, but here's the issue. Ready has a cost. You give up your action now, to take a reaction later. If you Ready before combat begins, before initiative is rolled, it's "free". You just get to take a reaction before anything else happens.

It's not really free, especially for spells, where you have to cast the spell in advance, and it takes your concentration, preventing you from having most buffs in place.

After I started having enemies ready whenever they were aware the players were nearby, I started getting the melee constantly readying actions to run for cover or other things that could protect them from enemy readied actions- the incident where I finally said, ok, we're done here, was when one player opened a door with another player readying an action to close the door if they saw any enemies.

Why was that a problem, exactly ? It's actually an amusing trope, and the result is that, at best, they will have alerted enemies to their presence for no benefit to them.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
It just felt like we were too focused on the "ready an action" minigame and not actually, you know, playing the game. Upthread I gave an example of two players, one a little savvier than the other when it came to selecting triggers? Yeah, those two were in my game.

The players were using that out of game creativity to give their characters an in game advantage (or disadvantage). While this falls firmly in the "completely acceptable" level of metagaming for me (metagaming as is necessary to keep the game going), I very quickly found myself wondering if I should limit what characters could Ready based on their in-game Ability scores- and that was way more trouble than it was worth.

So I said you can only Ready when initiative has been rolled.

Oh, and as for spellcasters, none of them are really casting pre-fight buffs anyways, they want their concentration for spells they are going to cast in combat. One of my persistent annoyances with concentration as a mechanic, it actually prevents casters from using buffs for the martials they would be casting in other editions, because then they are unable to cast some of their favorite combat spells. And the instant you see a Wizard throw out a Readied Hypnotic Pattern before initiative is even rolled to incapacitate 2/3 of an encounter, you may agree with me.

Or maybe that's just how you like your games, no judgment here, as long as everyone is having fun. But it really felt like it was detracting from my games.

Lyxen

Great Old One
Or maybe that's just how you like your games, no judgment here, as long as everyone is having fun. But it really felt like it was detracting from my games.

No worries, no judgement here one way or another. My perspective on readied actions out of combat is very different, however. It's not metagaming at all, it's just preparedness. It seems logical (and when I'm in a LARP, I try to be careful and prepare, having the right spell component in hand, for example, or sword drawn, or watching someone or something in particular) to prepare for what might be happening.

It's rather the other way around, I find the 5e standard transition to combat very artificial and abrupt, no matter what you were doing before, it's simple initiative and what you might have prepared does not matter. It does not encourage preparation, careful thinking, projecting yourself in the world, etc.

Of course, if some player "game" it too much, I understand your reaction. But with players at our table, it's much more "I am wary of what X might do, so I'm watching him and preparing something in case he disrupts negotiations, etc." which seems natural and, well, normal, in a dangerous world.

So I said you can only Ready when initiative has been rolled.
This is the right ruling. Ready is specifically an action taken while in combat. Just like there is no Help action outside combat (rather it is Working Together), there is no Ready action outside of combat. A player can say "If THING happens, I do OTHER THING" all they want outside combat - DM adjudicates accordingly, sometimes that adjudication being: "Ok, roll initiative and that Ready will be your first action"

Lyxen

Great Old One
When seeing this thread, I am so glad, that 5e uses rulings over rules, because otherwise you get pretty stupid results, when people intentionally use corner cases where the rules create strange cinematics to disrupt the game flow.

Not exactly sure which example in particular you are pointing out there, but I agree, this is exactly why 5e not only has rulings over rules, but also left most of the levers firmly in the hands of the DM. That was one of the main problems of 3e, with its player-centricity, and 4e only corrected this by putting strong constraints over every one, DM and players included. 5e again opened the place, but opened it for the DM to avoid abuse.

Remove ads