• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If you were to play a version of pre-3.0 D&D, which would it be?

If you were to play a version of pre-3.0 D&D, which would it be?

• Moldvay/Cook Basic/Expert D&D

Votes: 45 17.9%
  • AD&D 1e

Votes: 81 32.3%
  • AD&D 2e

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Rules Compendium D&D

Votes: 39 15.5%
  • Sorry--I wouldn't play *any* of the above versions

Votes: 30 12.0%

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Personally, I don't think there is enough difference between the Moldvay/Cook edition and the Rules Cyclopedia edition to warrant two categories to vote over. But that's me. ;)

But in any case, I voted the Rules Cyclopedia

Regards,
Eric Anondson

Mycanid

First Post
1e ADnD ... I just like it. I'm not a "rules lawyer" per se, so I never really noticed too many probs, although others pointed them out every now and again who could see such things. ;)

Still - I prefer it. A close second would be the Basic/Expert, etc. set.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Rules Cyclopedia (I assume that's what's meant by 'Rules Compendium?') or Moldvay/Cook. The former is basically Basic D&D 2e, compiling and cleaning up a bit the Moldvay/Cook line.

I'd GM RC D&D about as readily as I would 3.5 D&D. I'd rather play 3.5, but would be willing to play RC/Basic. I'd rather play HERO, SilCore, d20 Modern, True20 or Mutants & Masterminds than any version of D&D, however, and would rather run SilCore, True20 or M&M (HERO and d20 Modern are both more work to GM, IMO).

I'd much rather play with no rules, or not rp at all, than play AD&D, and would certainly never run a game with it.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I voted 1e, but there's so much stuff from Basic (particularly the adventure modules) that can be ported over that they kinda meld together for me.

Lanefan

That was a tough one. I picked B/X (Moldvay/Cook). I started with Holmes and then went into 1E. About the time 2E came out I ran a BECMI/RC campaign, which was awesome. (I've always been "meh" on 2E.) I've never really run a straight Moldvay/Cook game, and I love classic D&D, so that would be my choice. I came very close to running B/X instead of C&C for my current campaign, but decided to give C&C a try (I've been happy with it).

That said, I'd happily run or play any of them. Including the not-listed options of OD&D or Holmes.

the Jester

Legend
Heh... just the other night I started up a 1e game for when 3e gives me a headache! Or maybe it's just for nostalgia, I'm not entirely certain...

Akrasia

Procrastinator
It is almost two years later and I still prefer the Rules Cyclopedia over the other options (with Basic/Expert close behind)!
:cool:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads