If You're "Permanently" Boycotting WotC, They're Not Going To Listen To You

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
You don't seem to understand how D&D Beyond's forums work. The purpose of the link is purely educational. To preemptively answer the question that everyone asks on D&D Beyond. Not to tell people not to want/ask for digital copies with physical purchases, but to tell them that currently, no, they are not entitled to a digital book because they bought a physical version.
Emphasis mine again.

The link in their sig is word-for-word titled, "Why you shouldn't start ANOTHER thread about DDB not giving away free redeems on your hardcopy book purchases."

Thank you for your interest, but this will be my last post in this topic. With sincere hope, I encourage you to do some research on the topic of consumer advocacy.

The whole whataboutism of boycotts is only helpful to bad actor companies. "You say you don't want to eat salt because it's unhealthy and yet you eat sugar!?" kind of stuff is not to your benefit.

Sorry, you are right. But still you should think about the proportions. And at some point it is not whataboutism, but bigotry...

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Funny thing, there probably are people claiming they now will never buy things from Hasbro/Wotc again who have not bought from wotc for a while now.

I also think there are peole boycotting hasbro and buy things from companies that are actually doing real harm to people... like every smart phone producer... many food companies and a lot of cheap cloth companies...
I'm glad you agree with the OP, but the second part is unfair. There is no ethical consumption under capitalism. Most companies on the planet harm some people in some way (pollution, harmful products, and exploitative worker conditions, for example). None of us can be "perfect" with avoiding harmful companies, because basically every company is harmful in some way. Protesting the bad actions of one company while still being forced to give money to other harmful companies is a hypocrisy that we're all damned by because that's how the system is designed.

Scribe

Legend
We clearly have "a voice". If we didn't, WotC never would have heard the outcry against the leaked OGL. We might not have as direct of a way to get tell WotC what we want, but they obviously have some idea that the community does not want the leaked 1.1 OGL.

Yes but we only have one, because it is as lacking in nuance as possible.

Its "NO." stated plain, loud, and often.

I agree that telling someone "Nothing you can do will win me back" is a waste, because you will find then they have no reason to change...

BUT!!!! (yeah I know everything before a but doesn't matter)

But, once before I heard a bunch a people swear off WotC because of an edition change... 3 to 3.5
wait, I heard it with 3.5 to 4e too.

WotC has every reason to believe that SOME (not all) people swearing off will come back someday.

I'm not going to reward them or take interest in their products until they clean the boards and unionise.

This latest stunt just made me want to actively tell others not to give them money.

I don't care if they don't listen. I want them to significantly change internally, or politely never plague us with their prescence again.

I'm glad you agree with the OP, but the second part is unfair. There is no ethical consumption under capitalism. Most companies on the planet harm some people in some way (pollution, harmful products, and exploitative worker conditions, for example). None of us can be "perfect" with avoiding harmful companies, because basically every company is harmful in some way. Protesting the bad actions of one company while still being forced to give money to other harmful companies is a hypocrisy that we're all damned by because that's how the system is designed.

I don't say, boycot is in order. But they are not as evil as enslaving people. It is more on the level of taking away a child's lolly (speakin in a metaphor), if they don't go after the back catalogue of other companies and still allow a fair use of their rules.

It is just a step down from theopnness we are used to. It might still be a good agreement.
So boycotting until we really see what happens is a good idea. It is a bad idea to announce something like a boycot forever... just my opinion...

Remove ads