D&D 5E If you're planning to run 5e, have you started a homebrew campaign?

For people who want to run 5e, have you started a homebrew 5e campaign already?

• Poll closed .

am181d

Adventurer
My D&D playtest ran about 20 sessions, and we'll be rolling it over into a 5e game starting tomorrow!

(With new characters. The playtest characters are all deities now.)

fanboy2000

Adventurer
Might get better poll results if you straighten out the timing-conflict inherent in the poll question.

"Want to run" implies it hasn't happened yet. "Started already" implies that it has.
Good point. Of course, strictly speaking, you can want to run something that you are, in fact, running. But you're right it does imply that it hasn't happened yet.

The reason I worded the poll that way was to exclude people who had already decided to skip 5e. I didn't want people posting something to the effect of "well, no I don't plan to home-brew anything in 5e because I don't plan on running it." ;Of course, they can still post that, [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] hasn't seen fit to turn the site over to me yet, so I can assume my rightful place as the D&D fandom's first dictator, but at least with my wording people who have made the decision to skip 5e know my question isn't directed at them.

Also, I wanted to include people who weren't planning on running a 5e game anytime soon, but weren't completely opposed to the notion.

That said, I like the poll results so far. Forum polls are never scientific and it's just for discussion. I think, personally, the discussion is a little more interesting because the DMG isn't out yet. Also, only some people have the MM. A few more should be getting it in the next couple of days, with even more to follow as Amazon become able to ship them.

One thing I didn't expect was the number of people running campaigns based on the playtest. Since I skipped it, I was a little surprised by how many people have been playing a version of 5e for over a year now. That's really cool.

Follow-up question for people who have been running playtest based campaigns: how has the release of the PHB affected your ongoing campaign? Have you house-ruled some of the changes from the playtest into your 5e game?

Nellisir

Hero
I always run homebrew. I'm stealing the stats for Phandelver at the moment until I get a little more plot traction of my own going, but yeah...not having the DMG isn't a big deal for me. 3 sessions in and the players are loving it.

carmachu

Explorer
I'm trying to find time to run a game I was suppose to start in june. It will be a quasi homebrew, only so much as using one or two shells to start with (hellfrost or greyhawk) and tweeking them to my own ideas to run.

Jack7

First Post
I'm simply converting my long-running Roman (Eastern Roman and Byzantine)/Other World homebrew into a mostly 5E game. For my family.

We're running it again this weekend.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Looking to start one soon-- I've run a one-shot using the rules, and I think they're pretty well-suited to one of my homebrew settings, so I'll be using it for that. It's fitting, since Wandering Stars started out as a D&D setting in the first place.

BoldItalic

First Post

One thing I didn't expect was the number of people running campaigns based on the playtest. Since I skipped it, I was a little surprised by how many people have been playing a version of 5e for over a year now. That's really cool.

Follow-up question for people who have been running playtest based campaigns: how has the release of the PHB affected your ongoing campaign? Have you house-ruled some of the changes from the playtest into your 5e game?

In our case, we switched over completely to vanilla 5e playing rules when the Basic PDF dropped. The Rogue and Cleric adjusted their characters to 5e (it wasn't too difficult). Our Barbarian, Bard and Paladin kept with the final playtest version of their class features until we got the PHB but now they have converted theirs too. That was a bit more traumatic (for them) but we've played one session with the all new versions and it all made sense, although I could see that they were having to adjust their tactics a bit.

Converting monster stats was problematic until we got the DM Basic PDF, but monster stats in the playtest were always problematic anyway so I'm used to winging it. Having the MM will help to solidify things, I hope.

Balancing magic items hasn't been too much of a problem because ours are strong on flavour and light on mechanics. I'm still mining the playtest document for ideas on that, pending the DMG. I'm hoping the DMG will be even better but if it isn't (or if it's much the same) we are no worse off.

Remove ads