D&D (2024) I'm getting increasingly worried about the fate of sorcerer

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
The newest UA doesn't feature sorcerers, however, it is full of content that makes me worried about the sorcerer. I started more confident, after all the arcane class spell list had all of these spells that used to be missing, so progress, right? Going from Bard, it seems that sorcerers will have to care about schools instead of a theme, more like one step forward, two steps backward.

Subclass levels seem to be standardized across the board (good), but so far, they don't start at first level. (bad) And sorcerer is the kind of class where most of the theme is in the subclass. This would mean the class is going to have the theme forcefully watered down. Still, could be unfounded and mages will standardize to start at first....

And the most worrying, from reading the spellcasting description, it seems that all classes will prepare spells?

When I talked about the chance to fix the sorcerer I was thinking more about making small adjustments. These changes might end up changing everything I love about sorcerers (strong theme from first level, stable identity, not having to deal with the very artificial scholarly lore...)

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I share your concern. Half the reason I would choose to play a sorcerer instead of a wizard is that I wouldn't have to fuss with preparing spells (it's bad enough that my DM won't let me use the Spell Points variant, so I'm still stuck with tracking spell slots). The other half of the reason is the metamagic ability...which are pretty cool, I won't lie.

If sorcerers end up having to prepare spells, I worry it will feel like just another wizard.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
The newest UA doesn't feature sorcerers, however, it is full of content that makes me worried about the sorcerer. I started more confident, after all the arcane class spell list had all of these spells that used to be missing, so progress, right? Going from Bard, it seems that sorcerers will have to care about schools instead of a theme, more like one step forward, two steps backward.

Subclass levels seem to be standardized across the board (good), but so far, they don't start at first level. (bad) And sorcerer is the kind of class where most of the theme is in the subclass. This would mean the class is going to have the theme forcefully watered down. Still, could be unfounded and mages will standardize to start at first....

And the most worrying, from reading the spellcasting description, it seems that all classes will prepare spells?

When I talked about the chance to fix the sorcerer I was thinking more about making small adjustments. These changes might end up changing everything I love about sorcerers (strong theme from first level, stable identity, not having to deal with the very artificial scholarly lore...)
the ranger (or maybe it was bard) has a thing where spells marked with a dagger always count as prepared without counting. I wouldn't be surprised if sorcerer archetypes have similar always prepared spells. With that said the spell lists themselves seem awfully complete in ways that leave little room for differentiation so classes & archetypes themselves will need to do more heavy lifting to differentiate generic mage 1 from generic mage2 of a different class

I also have a suspicion that we might see something like sorcerers with more spell slots than wizard but wizards having some form of quantum spellbook or many more prep slots. Not mentioning spellbooks in the new ritual casting entry is too suspicious.

Bard ranger & rogue were all classes that split into archetypes at level 3 before. Frankly I wouldn't mind seeing the priest & mage classes start out a bit more generic before diversifying at level 3 either. That even works for warlock & sorcerer simply by not being in tune enough with theit bloodline/patron to understand it until they start getting a bit more understanding.

Well the Sorcerer is paired with the Warlock and Wizard so my guess is they all start their subclasses at level 1. It has to be a lot easier to move Wizard ahead one level than to do the work of pulling two classes back. Let alone the flavor getting all screwy if you push back Warlocks and Sorcerers.

Right now they are:
Sorcerer - 1, 6, 14
Warlock - 1, 6, 10, 14 (not including level 3 boon)
Wizard - 2, 6, 10, 14

So give the Sorcerer the 1D&D Bard treatment and add another subclass feature and push wizard up one level and you get a standard 1, 6, 10, 14 for the mage group. Assuming no other additions you could swap Arcane Recovery to second level to fill in the vacated spot.

This could actually work out well for Sorcerers since they'll get another feature if my guess is right. In this one aspect anyway. Can't say I'm thrilled by the spell prep changes so far.

Definitely, it was always a bit strange that the last two subclass features for the sorcerer came online so late.
Thanks for catching that. How I missed it I'll never know.

I agree moving them up to 10 and 14 would be a positive change. They did it with the rogue and I think it is great even if it delayed some other features.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases