• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Immortals Handbook - Ascension Discussion

Howdy Belzamus matey! :)

Belzamus said:
While that's true, it doesn't really take into account extreme power attack ratios. Say....a frenzied berserker's 4:1 double to 8:1 with Leap Attack and then (let's assume level 70 character) they can sink 70 points into their attack for +560 damage per hit which is multiplied on a critical (let's call it a great axe) and with Greater Critical Multiplier that makes it +3,920 damage just from power attack.

What you seem to be saying is that a min/maxed character can exploit the rules to deal ridiculous damage by stacking powers that, in and of themselves are moer or less balanced. However, as I think I mentioned somewhere, a DM should take steps to challenge min/maxed characters with appropriately powerful monsters.

If such balancing disparities are not to your taste then I suggest you try the more balanced 4th Edition. ;)

I see where you're coming from and it makes sense for every purpose but power attack dumping, which even the ability description mentions. (And that extra damage is enough to drop most monsters in that range in one round without even adding in any other charging multipliers.)

Something else just occurred to me, is this a 70th-level Intermediate God or just a 70th-level character? As the latter shouldn't be in possession of a weapon with +25 market value special qualities. While the former should be fighting monsters in excess of CR 130 - where monsters will laugh off a few thousand damage, assuming its even vulnerable to critical hits.

Hey Kerrick mate! :)

Kerrick said:
Weeelll... things like the Fates can't be killed. At least, not permanently. Think Mr. Smith from Matrix - if you kill him, he can just inhabit a new body, take it over, and bam - he's back. That's essentially what a force of the cosmos is: an ideal or a concept, not an actual being. It's why Fenris is chained, instead of just being killed - if you kill him, his spirit would just manifest in another brachyurus and be free.

That's why I was thinking something along the lines of divine rank 0 (because most of them aren't actually divine beings), but with special abilities (probably as a result of a template of some sort). I might sit down this weekend and whip something up.

I think paradox already expanded this sufficiently.

Kerrick said:
Now what's a cosmic abomination? Simply a larger/more powerful version of an abomination?

On a basic level perhaps.

Abomination = Godspawn, derived from 'twisting' portfolios...often with evil.

Entity = Starspawn, derived from 'twisting' dimensions...often with each other.

Existing Entities might include the Hekatonkeres which would be part elemental - part pseudonatural.

At the moment I am thinking the hierarchy will be something like:

Greater Anomaly
Lesser Anomaly
Greater Punisher
Lesser Punisher
Greater Entity
Lesser Entity
Greater Godslayer
Lesser Godslayer
Greater Abomination
Lesser Abomination

in 3E terms Lesser Abominations are on a par with Quasi-deities.

Lesser Entities are on a par with Greater Gods.

Lesser Anomalies on a par with Demiurges.

Fenris Wolf would be considered a Greater Godslayer, Cerberus a Lesser Godslayer etc.

Last edited:

Belzamus

First Post
You know, it just occurred to me that the character I was thinking of was before I had gotten Ascension and had been built using standard epic Wealth by Level. You're right, he shouldn't have had an Unerring weapon at that point.

(It's mostly just one player who's obsessed with this strategy) but I think I'll work out a higher +modifier for Unerring if he's going to use it for that. Somewhere between +48 and +108 seems appropriate to me.

Thanks for the quick reply. :)

Kerrick

First Post
But that's exactly what Ascension does have in it. Cosmic String is probably good enough for most such beings- it's precisely what the Cosmic beings (Old Ones, First Ones, that sort) are actually supposed to be. Metatron, for example, is not just an Angel, Metatron actually IS Good in the most fundamental sense. So how would you kill that? This is what Cosmic String does. And of course, there's also Transmortality at the next higher level, which says you just plain can't be killed even by a being of greater divine status.
Aha. I think you can tell that I don't have Ascension. :p I've never been interested enough in gods or divine beings to buy a book about them. Now that I'm doing Project Phoenix, though, I might consider picking it up at some point, if I ever sit down to convert the divine rules.

On a basic level perhaps.

Abomination = Godspawn, derived from 'twisting' portfolios...often with evil.

Entity = Starspawn, derived from 'twisting' dimensions...often with each other.

Existing Entities might include the Hekatonkeres which would be part elemental - part pseudonatural.
Ah, I see. Hecatoncheires were created at the dawn of time, from the Elemental Chaos, so they'd be earth creatures? A phaethon, likewise, would be a fire creature. It seems to me that they're less "Abominations" and more "creatures so ancient that they defy proper classification". They're like Cthulhu and his buddies, or some of the African gods - beings beyond the ken of man. It might be interesting to, at some point, make some creatures like this (I mean, stat up creatures from myth and lore) using the SRD divine rules and yours. The titans, for instance, they way they were meant to be - creatures of elemental Earth and Fire.

Belzamus

First Post
Ah, I see. Hecatoncheires were created at the dawn of time, from the Elemental Chaos, so they'd be earth creatures? A phaethon, likewise, would be a fire creature. It seems to me that they're less "Abominations" and more "creatures so ancient that they defy proper classification". They're like Cthulhu and his buddies, or some of the African gods - beings beyond the ken of man. It might be interesting to, at some point, make some creatures like this (I mean, stat up creatures from myth and lore) using the SRD divine rules and yours. The titans, for instance, they way they were meant to be - creatures of elemental Earth and Fire.

That sounds very 4Eish to me (not that that's inherently a problem, though I do hate 4E's flavor). I fail to see what is "earthen" about a hundred-handed godslaying abomination or what is "fiery and earthen" about an ancient cosmic being that predates gods. Maybe I'm missing some key point here?

Kerrick said:
Aha. I think you can tell that I don't have Ascension. :p I've never been interested enough in gods or divine beings to buy a book about them. Now that I'm doing Project Phoenix, though, I might consider picking it up at some point, if I ever sit down to convert the divine rules.

See I keep thinking you have Ascension.

Ah, I see. Hecatoncheires were created at the dawn of time, from the Elemental Chaos, so they'd be earth creatures? A phaethon, likewise, would be a fire creature. It seems to me that they're less "Abominations" and more "creatures so ancient that they defy proper classification".

Well the Hekatonkeres would be matter twisted by the Far Realm, they wouldn't need to be linked to a single specific element.

Other entities might revolve around Time twisted by the Far Realm or perhaps Fate or Entropy and so on.

They're like Cthulhu and his buddies, or some of the African gods - beings beyond the ken of man.

In a sense yes, in that there is a Far Realm element to them. Although the Cthulhu entities are primarily Far Realm unfettered by other planes/dimensions.

It might be interesting to, at some point, make some creatures like this (I mean, stat up creatures from myth and lore) using the SRD divine rules and yours.

You could say the Cogent would be equivalent to Entities.

The titans, for instance, they way they were meant to be - creatures of elemental Earth and Fire.

I presume you don't own 4th Edition either? As this is now how the Giants/Titans are detailed.

Hiya mate! :)

Belzamus said:
I fail to see what is "earthen" about a hundred-handed godslaying abomination or what is "fiery and earthen" about an ancient cosmic being that predates gods. Maybe I'm missing some key point here?

Its not so much that its derived from any individual element but more matter in general.

Although I see the point you are addressing. Is 'flesh' 'matter'.

Been doing a lot of pondering about this while setting up my 4E Giant/Titan ideas. For instance Anakim are now a type of Giant rather than an Abomination. I have sort of settled on them being 'Thunder' Giants, but I have been using the term Mountain Giants for now, which is sort of at odds with the theme-ology of Giants. Would a Mountain Giant be an Earth based being?

Kerrick

First Post
That sounds very 4Eish to me (not that that's inherently a problem, though I do hate 4E's flavor). I fail to see what is "earthen" about a hundred-handed godslaying abomination or what is "fiery and earthen" about an ancient cosmic being that predates gods. Maybe I'm missing some key point here?
Probably. I have a tendency to spout out random ideas that pop into my head as I'm writing posts, so sometimes my posts sound a little disjointed. The idea I got here relates to the metasetting of Project Phoenix, which I've since refined a bit. See, I'm big into "the elements" - it's a theme that keeps recurring in my work: spells, PrCs (have a few of those), classes (both the druid and sorcerer have elemental paths), etc.

So, the background I'm considering is more from Greek mythology than 4E:

In the beginning, there was nothing but Elemental Chaos - Air, Earth, Fire, and Water, crashing, smashing, colliding, combining into various forms then splitting apart again.

After a time (who knows how long; time can't be measured if there's no one to keep track and no standard), all four elements collided and combined at once, forming a new element - Spirit. Spirit was different that the other elements, in that it held the spark of life. It could also combined with any other elements and remain that way.

In this way, the first life forms came to be. The very first beings to have knowledge and self-awareness were barely recognizable as living creatures by our standards - huge, amorphous blobs of matter like the hagumemnon. Over time, though, the forms became more refined and more intelligent, until they reached their height - the Titans.

The Titans were tied to all four elements, some in greater measure than others - for instance, one titan could be a creature of Fire, while another could be a creature of Earth. All of them, however, had the ability to manipulate matter (what we now call "magic"), which they used to form planets, planes, stars, and moons. They separated the four elements into their own planes, the better to access and draw upon them, and to make more comfortable habitations for themselves.

After all this was complete, they turned their attention to finer, more complicated pursuits - creating life. Their first attempts were clumsy, hideous beings ill-suited to living (indeed, many died or were destroyed), though they did have some succeses - elementals, for instance (pure elemental essence powered by Spirit). Over time, they grew more proficient and began to create many more elemental beings, things we now know as creatures of the Elemental Planes. Dragons represent the pinnacle of their craft.

(Cutting this short a bit): Elves, humans and dwarves were created as slave races, though they're not the same races we know today. Elves are creatures of Air, fine and flighty, created for entertainment (including music, which they invented and which pleased the Titans greatly); dwarves, obviously, are creatures of Earth, created to mine and forge metal; the humans were primarily creatures of Fire, unpredictable and chaotic, used to satiate the Titans' lust for battle and blood. The humans would be formed into armies and sent into battle against other Titans' humans, garnering the winner greater prestige among his peers.

This went on for awhile until one of them slaves somehow got access to a divine spark. [I'm not really sure on the particulars just yet, and I'm not sure that it's truly important in any case.] He discovered that he was nearly as powerful as a Titan himself - he could use magic and manipulate the elements. He bided his time, working in secret, empowering other slaves and gathering allies among the other elemental creatures, and when the time was right, they went to war against their masters, along with the dwarves and elves. The massed forces of the slave races and their allies caught the Titans by surprise and overthrew them, though the losses were catastrophic and the slave races were nearly wiped out. In the end, though, the human with the divine spark was alive.

He became the first god, and learned how to bestow his spark upon others, raising them to godhood as well. This is how we got the first elven, dwarven, and human gods, who created in turn the modern races.

See I keep thinking you have Ascension.
No, I just got the Bestiary. :)

Well the Hekatonkeres would be matter twisted by the Far Realm, they wouldn't need to be linked to a single specific element.
Mythology says they're
creatures of Earth and Water. Abominations, to be sure, but still tied to the elements.

In a sense yes, in that there is a Far Realm element to them. Although the Cthulhu entities are primarily Far Realm unfettered by other planes/dimensions.
*nodnod*

I presume you don't own 4th Edition either? As this is now how the Giants/Titans are detailed.
No, I don't, but I recall seeing something about that in one of the previews.

Been doing a lot of pondering about this while setting up my 4E Giant/Titan ideas. For instance Anakim are now a type of Giant rather than an Abomination. I have sort of settled on them being 'Thunder' Giants, but I have been using the term Mountain Giants for now, which is sort of at odds with the theme-ology of Giants. Would a Mountain Giant be an Earth based being?
I'd say yes. Much the same as (3.5) dragons have elemental subtypes, giants could easily be elementally-based as well. Cloud and storm giants are Air (storm are also Water); hill and stone giants are Earth; fire giants are (duh) Fire. Cyclops (cyclopes) are primordial beings (effectively abominations), if you follow the Greek lore, born of Earth and Fire (they created the gods' weapons.

blazer225

First Post
I'm not sure what post this should be in, but i was just wondering how U_K's Divinity System handles Bonus Domains from Third Party Sources. Are they added to the deities' domains automatically, are they treated as aspects of the deities' portfolio, do they need to be purchased with the extra domain divine ability or are they just not available to clerics of a deity?

paradox42

First Post
I'm not sure what post this should be in, but i was just wondering how U_K's Divinity System handles Bonus Domains from Third Party Sources. Are they added to the deities' domains automatically, are they treated as aspects of the deities' portfolio, do they need to be purchased with the extra domain divine ability or are they just not available to clerics of a deity?
UK's presently-published books are silent on this topic as far as I know, but for my own long-running and now-divine game we came up with a system. We postulate that a god has two types of Portfolios, Primary and Secondary. Primary are the Portfolios that lay-people who have heard of the god would think the being is god "of," for instance, one of Zeus's Primaries would be Sky. This is essentially what the Portfolio system in Ascension handles- it lets the god use the Domain spells as spell-like abilities and grant those spells to Clerics, and it also comes with some weaknesses and some bonus divine abilities (both tied to the Portfolio concept). A Secondary Portfolio, in our system, is one that doesn't grant the deity the weaknesses or the bonus divine abilities, but does allow the deity to use the Domain as spell-likes and which the deity can also grant to Clerics. The idea with the Secondaries is that the deity finished a Portfolio Quest for each one, but didn't spend the six divine ability slots required to purchase Extra Portfolio.

So, perhaps a riff on that iea could work for you?

Last edited:

Remove ads