• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Important: Please Read! Changes Are Coming!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Why not just allow for a year to be paid in advance? Two years? Five? Wouldn't that cheque be worthwhile?

Like I used to, you mean?

Because it is disastrous for my cash flow. I need regular, predictable amounts coming in monthly, not chunks at random times every year or three years. I need to be abel to look at the accounts and predict with a high degree of accuracy what money is coming in next month, and the month after that, and in 8 months' time. Switching to a monthy subscription only was quite possibly the best decision I ever made regarding this website - it turned around the finances in an alomst miraculous way, and is the reason we're still here.

Last edited:

Rechan

Adventurer
Can one change be the ability to adjust how many posts appear in a thread? (i.e. you can change your own settings so a thread is displayed as 20 or 30 posts before shifting over to a new page of the thread). Assuming such a feature doesn't all ready exist.

Not to be confused with how many threads show up on a page - this is how many posts in a thread.

15 posts in a thread before a new page is most tedious. :)

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Can one change be the ability to adjust how many posts appear in a thread? (i.e. you can change your own settings so a thread is displayed as 20 or 30 posts before shifting over to a new page of the thread). Assuming such a feature doesn't all ready exist.

Not to be confused with how many threads show up on a page - this is how many posts in a thread.

You can do all that from your account. Or you should eb able to, at any rate. If not it's a bug - let us know in Meta and we can look into it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Credit card is fine with me, but there needs to be a way of paying without involving paypal.

I'll be over in the UK in early summer; can I stop by and give you cash?

Lanefan

You're gonna drop by every month and give me $3? Sounds fairly impractical! :)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian

You can already do this -- you couldn't for a while due to a bug, but that's been adjusted. Hie thee to your control panel.

Not that you shouldn't still subscribe, because subscribing is great. But adjusting this makes a huge difference to how much I enjoy reading the site.

Kinneus

Explorer
With no steady income, I really can't afford a monthly subscription, even if it's only $3. But that's fine, that's my problem, not the website's. And I wouldn't mind losing my signature; I barely use it, and it's one of those small vanity things you might expect from a subscription fee.

But one thing I don't understand and never liked about EN World was that the search feature required a subscription. It seems counter-intuitive to me; every other forum I've ever frequented made a habit of encouraging people to use the search feature, encouraging them to read old threads instead of starting a new one about the same topics every month. Giving everyone access to search means fewer new topics per day, which means less bandwith is used, which means costs go down (I think. I might be betraying my utter lack of knowledge about the internet/finances, here).

So... kill sigs. Kill avatars, images, pretty fonts. But give me search. And then I'll be a happy (albeit non-paying) customer.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I am fine with charging more, but I hope there is a lot more than just "signatures" and "rep power" for an extra $36 a year. Like, for example, a physical copy of EW publications would be good. Or some type of exclusive content. Or the ability to change other users avatars and titles and such.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
One thing I don't understand and never liked about EN World was that the search feature required a subscription. It seems counter-intuitive to me; every other forum I've ever frequented made a habit of encouraging people to use the search feature, encouraging them to read old threads instead of starting a new one about the same topics every month. Giving everyone access to search means fewer new topics per day, which means less bandwith is used, which means costs go down (I think. I might be betraying my utterly lack of knowledge about the internet/finances, here).

So... kill sigs. Kill avatars, images, pretty fonts. But give me search. And then I'll be a happy (albeit non-paying) customer.

The reasoning behind that is resources. If everyone has access to search, the server explodes and nobody gets anything. Search, simply put, costs us large amounts of money.

It's one of those things I've always planned on changing in the long-term. But we're not in a position to right now. It's a goal, though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads