• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull [spoilers]

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
frankthedm said:
Yeah, way too much fluff in so many of the current shows.
Yeah a great example are many of those new "prehistoric creature XYZ" shows. They spend so much effort on turning it into a drama and providing plot, narrative, conflict. When it could be spent on actually imparting information rather than just watching some talking head interact with rubber animal heads and CGI beasts.

Anyone know if there's a way to find out what the show line-ups were back in the day? Cause I'd really like to acquire many of them for the future when my own children can see something better than the drivel being produced at the moment.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
D.Shaffer said:
And the deluge of 'Documentaries' about the crystal skulls begins. *sigh*

Remember when History and Discovery had actual history and science shows?

I can't agree more. This is why I stopped watching the History channel years ago.

Well, this and the superabundance of WWII shows.

Amellia

First Post
HeavenShallBurn said:
Yeah a great example are many of those new "prehistoric creature XYZ" shows. They spend so much effort on turning it into a drama and providing plot, narrative, conflict. When it could be spent on actually imparting information rather than just watching some talking head interact with rubber animal heads and CGI beasts.

Yeah, exactly. If I want drama, I'll go watch Heroes. If I want a documentary, I want a DOCUMENTARY. Yeah, I miss the old Discovery Channel. Too bad it's such a thing of the past... hopefully all the "retro" interest these days will result in some of those great old documentary shows being released on Blu-ray or something, digitally enhanced. Some of them had astonishingly beautiful footage.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Discovery still has some fantastic shows. Deadliest Catch, Dirty Jobs, Mythbusters, Survivorman, and the award winning (and amazing) Planet Earth.

If anything, Discovery has gotten MUCH better with time, not worse.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Just wait until the Myth Busters decide to do the Indiana Jone's myth special as a tie in to the Indiana Jones crazy (most likely right before the dvd special edition collector's set of all 4 movies is released).

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Mistwell said:
Discovery still has some fantastic shows. Deadliest Catch, Dirty Jobs, Mythbusters, Survivorman, and the award winning (and amazing) Planet Earth.
Deadliest Catch and Survivorman aren't bad, but Planet Earth is the only one that can compare with the old classic discovery programs.

If anything, Discovery has gotten MUCH better with time, not worse.
Did you ever actually see Discovery before the decline set in though? When did you start watching discovery Channel? The first two years of programing in 85 and 86 were incredible, full of classic greats. You could probably extend the good years out to 88 or 89 but by 90 Discovery was definitely on a downhill stretch.

Villano

First Post
Relique du Madde said:
Just wait until the Myth Busters decide to do the Indiana Jone's myth special as a tie in to the Indiana Jones crazy (most likely right before the dvd special edition collector's set of all 4 movies is released).

They actually did that one already. Surprisingly, they found you can't swing across a pit with a whip, but you can melt a Nazi's face off with a bright enough light.

:D

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
Villano said:
Surprisingly, they found you can't swing across a pit with a whip, but you can melt a Nazi's face off with a bright enough light.

Really? I would have thought it was the other way 'round. I did see the one where they made a psuedo-arc.

What about light-sensitive traps, soft-clay pressure plate traps, spinning blade traps, ripping someone's heart out and them not dying right away, surviving all the damage Jones suffered in Raiders and drinking Tibetian and Frenchmen under the table? Is the proven, busted or probable?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads