• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Insight's Secret Wars OOC Thread

Insight

Adventurer
<snip concept>
What do you think? Does that fit your idea of 4-color?

Yes, your concept seems fine so far. I'll know better when I see the build.

In terms of the "legacy" part, would it be possible that a mother or father was the one hit by lightning? Perhaps the parent was still able to function (ie make babies) and your character came out with the same functional powers.

And one question:

"whisked off to a distant world/dimension"

That means, we were born on, say, Earth, where the parents (still) are, too, but before the campaign begins, we (but not our parents or other people we know; other than the other PCs, that is) were somehow brought to a distant world (which is similar to our Earth, but not the same).

Is that about right?

And when did it happen (i.e. how long before the campaign starting time)?

The start of the game will be once you are whisked off to the other planet / dimension. Your characters have lives back home on Earth, ie, you should have some strong motivation to want to go back there.

And another question... those Tradeoffs are standard M&M3 (or did you change them somehow, which I didn't really notice yet :))?

Those are the standard trade-offs per the book. I wanted to make sure they were stated specifically in the thread so that people would have them in mind.

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
oh, so many options I'd love to try, just gotta decide which fits best.

Right now my lead contenders are Inertia and Optic.

Optic's a character I've played before and enjoyed. He's a mutant/techie, numerous eyepowers and a low/mid-end battlesuit. More high tech lightweight armour than a battlesuit, includes a visor that enhances his mutant eye powers. The original concept was a 2nd-gen mutant anyways, so that part still fits well.
[sblock=optic backstory]The 28 year old Jack Carson is near the peak of human perfection.. Strong, fast, healthy, smart, charming. He's a well-known, respected, and admired businessman with contacts everywhere, The vice president of Op-Tec, a company that specializes in fiber-optics and computer technology, specifically with regards to Military contracts. He has been involved in numerous athletic competitions. He's also not entirely Human... Jack Carson is, in his off-time, the mutant super-hero known as Optic.
Optic has been fighting crime in one form or another for over a decade. He's a 2nd generation mutant and super hero, son of Bendy-Girl(Deceased) and a computer technician named William Carson(Retired Businessman, founder of Op-Tec). With his current status and contacts in the company his father built, he was able to gain access to an experimental super-suit of very light-weight material, and a custom-made visor which enhances his allready impressive array of eye powers. For the past several years, he's been splitting his time between helping to run the company alongside his older sister (Claren, no known mutation) and using a combination of his skills, mutant super powers, and enhanced technology to fight terrorists, super-villains, and general all-around bad guys.
[/sblock]

Inertia is a combo of super-speed and immovability. When he's standing still he's like a mountain, when he's moving he's near impossible to stop.
He's a Legacy hero on both sides, his mother being a speedster and his father a powerhouse. He hasn't gained the full power of either, his own powers being a somewhat mix&match of his parents abilities. He has done his best to live up to their legacy, however, learning to use his abilities as a super-hero.

Inertia's personality would be much more fluid and 'human' than Optic, who is somewhat 'robotic' due to his technical leanings and upbringing.

drothgery

First Post
Edit: Really, I was writing this while Jemal posted his character ideas.

Okay, I'm thinking a battlesuit type. The idea is that my character was part of a team at a start-up company designing its battlesuits with an eye to winning a military contract; just before the contract was awarded, a group of supervillains attacked the company headquarters, killed many key personnel, and made off with or destroyed all but one of the prototypes. He found himself the only surviving stockholder, and so owned all the assets the company had left (and a lot of debts, but fortunately they did have insurance). He sold off what he could make himself part with (as there was no chance of getting things back together before the bidding period was over), but kept the suit and enough equipment to support it. Still, his public response was to take the insurance money, invest enough to give him an upper middle class living off of his investments, and then start a new start up outside of the defense industry making video games (he was the lead programmer for the suit's control software and built a lot of simulations to test it).

But privately he sought out Metal Man. He knew there had been at least three previous heroes by that name -- or at least three different suits over sixty years. And he figured there must have been different men underneath them. He'd been right.

The first had been a soldier in WWII, part of a top-secret project to stop Nazi super-science. After the war, he'd managed to keep the suit somehow. When a troubled young Vietnam vet had stumbled into the first Metal Man's path, he'd somehow ended up training the man and conning one of the super-scientists he knew from super hero circles into building a new suit. The third had been the scion of a major defense contractor, who after his parents had been murdered by super-villians had wanted to fight crime on his own, and had his company build him a suit to do it with. The second Metal Man had taught the third a lot about the limits to what one guy in a battlesuit could do. And the third was just beginning to think of what to do when it was time to hang up his suit when my character showed up at his door. He'd kind of been expecting it; the third Metal Man's alter ego had been an angel investor in my character's company. After a few years of training and practice -- as much on how to run a major company as to fight in a battlesuit -- the third Metal Man retired and my character assumed the role.

He has a wife and a child; his wife is the only one other than the third Metal Man that knows his alter ego, and not many people remember the original start-up. He's managed to put those directly responsible for destroying his first company in prison, though he's always worried there were bigger players in the shadows.

Out of suit, he looks like a not particularly athletic white guy in his 30s (though one with expert-level computer programming skills). He's often in a business suit for corporate functions, but it's very clear that he's far more comfortable in jeans and a t-shirt.

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Yes, your concept seems fine so far. I'll know better when I see the build.

Will put something together then, so you can have a look. :)

In terms of the "legacy" part, would it be possible that a mother or father was the one hit by lightning? Perhaps the parent was still able to function (ie make babies) and your character came out with the same functional powers.

That's exactly what I wrote up there (mother was hit by lightning, powers are inherited; original idea was, obviously, different, but that should work as well). :)

Those are the standard trade-offs per the book. I wanted to make sure they were stated specifically in the thread so that people would have them in mind.

Ok. :)

Bye
Thanee

P.S. And I remember now, where I read the teleport+lightning bolt stuff... it was a 3.5/Pathfinder arcane spell. :lol:

Guess I will just use Move-By-Attack for that and skip the whole Teleport part... way easier! :)

Thanee

First Post
Blitz

blitzq.png

Moved to the Rogues Gallery

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
The Visitor

[sblock=Picture]
thevisitor.jpg

[/sblock]

[sblock=Background]
Secret Identity: The Visitor (II)
Identity: Secret
Legal Status: Citizen of the United States / Breed Alpha Member
Other Aliases: -
Place of Birth: L'magna System
Marital Status: Single
Known Relatives: M'rge D'rk (mother), H'mar D'rk (father Visitor I)
Group Affiliation: Forever Freedom
Base of Operations: ?
First Appearance: Forever Freedom #0 (Secret Origin Issue)

History: H'mer D'rak, the first Visitor was a kind of super-soldier experiment of the Regime that controlled his planet and it's solar system. But he developed strong enough mental powers to overcome their telepathic control. Joining his planet's freedom fighters, he later secretly traveled to another solar system the Regime wanted to conquer.
Arriving on earth during WW 2, he quickly joined the heroes of this planet that fought against the Regime's human allies. Called 'the Visitor', the name stuck.
He was later able to return to his home planet, as the evil Regime was finally beaten. Being now the elected leader of his people, he sent his son on a diplomatic and help mission to the planet of his former allies.
D'lyn gladly took the opportunity to proof himself. From his secret identity as a high school science teacher he studies the humans and their social interaction unless Forever Freedom needs his help to fight evil.

Relations to other Heroes and Villains:
Besides his own teammates and the groups regular enemies, D'lyn has a close contact to Avatu often sharing their experience of humanity with each other.
He trained sometimes with Prodigy of the Crusaders, trying to unlock the full potential of his psionic powers. So far only with mixed results. But he helped in return battling Dr. Hand, the psionic villain and member of Turmoil.

Personality: D'lyn is motivated by his curiosity and strong sense for justice. This justice is not always the same as the local law, but he had grown accustomed to it over the years.
He seems sometimes uncaring and aloft, but it is a facade, hiding his true feelings to the people surrounding him. Knowing he is tougher than many others around him, he is willing to take a hit for them, even if it endangers his own health.

Height: 5 ft. 8 in.
Weight: varies
Eyes: Green
Hair: Dark-Blond (Dylan), None (D'lyn)
Unusual Features: Grey-white hairless alien with rubber-like skin.

Strength Level: D'yn is superhuman strong and his durability exceeds even the one of most other heroes.

Known Superhuman Powers:Like his father, D'lyn has an increased strength and durability in regards of other members of his species and displays a finer control over his bodily structure. He has still to develop a finer control over the energies he can emit from his eyes to copy his fathers penetrating vision and similar powers. His psychic abilities are a bit underdeveloped as he has neither yet mastered his telekinesis to more than to propel himself, nor any of his fathers famous telepathic powers.
Equipment: D'lyn is not known to use any specific kind of special equipment, but he sometimes improvises it with his vast knowledge of 'Grey' technology.

[/sblock]

[sblock=Sheet]
Trade-offs: -0 Att, +0 Damage ; -4 Parry/Dodge, +4 Toughness

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ABILITIES[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]STR 10[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]STA 10[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]AGL 2[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]DEX 2[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]FGT 6[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]INT 2[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]AWE 2[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]PRE 2[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]POWERS[/FONT] (Source: Alien/Mutant)
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Psionic Flight: [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Flight 7 (250 MPH) • [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]14 points[/FONT](psionic)
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Xenobiology: [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Array (20 points)[/FONT] (biological)
• [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Eye Beams: (Laser/Heat) [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ranged Damage 9, Accurate 2 • [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]20 points[/FONT]
• [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Intangibility: [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Insubstantial 4 • [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 point[/FONT]
• [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Shapeshifting: [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Shapeshift 2 (Variable Power)[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif], Continuous, Free Action • [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 point[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Xenoform: [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Protection 4, Immunity 10 (Life Support) • [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]14 points[/FONT] (biological)

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]SKILLS[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+10), Expertise: Science 4 (+6), Intimidation 4 (+6), Perception 6 (+8), Ranged Combat: Eyebeams 2 (+4), Technology 8 (+10)[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ADVANTAGES[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Interpose, Inventor, Languages 1 (English), Move-by Action[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]OFFENSE[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]INITIATIVE +2[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Eye Beam +10 Ranged, Damage 9[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Unarmed +10 Close, Damage 10[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]DEFENSE[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]DODGE [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]6 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]FORTITUDE [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]10[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]PARRY [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]6 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]TOUGHNESS [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]14[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]WILL [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]8[/FONT]

COMPLICATIONS
Secret: The Regime in the past and now it's remaining loyalists adduct, operate and vivisect other species, including humans. They are known as 'Greys'.
Enemy: Sometimes Regime loyalists try to attack and plan against him.
Prejudice: His natural form may scare people and let react them xenophobic and distrusting.
Identity: D'lyn cares more about his students and Dylan's friends that he admits. He wants to keep them save from his enemies.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]POWER POINTS[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ABILITIES [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]72[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]SKILLS [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]14[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]POWERS [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]50[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]DEFENSES [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]10[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ADVANTAGES [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]4[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]TOTAL [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]150[/FONT]
[/sblock]

Last edited:

hero4hire

Explorer
Since I am not currently playing anything here I haven't been to the site in a couple of days but I *am* very interested (hence the initial thread on finding a 4 color game). So if I am not to late I am going to brainstorm up a submission.

Insight

Adventurer
Yes, we are still open to submissions. The only caveat is that you read my rather long introduction, especially the part about your characters.

Everyone, when you are coming up with a character concept, remember that your characters are "legacy" heroes. Forever Freedom (your group) was established by your relatives, mentors, whatever, and your characters are the second or third generation in that same line. Concepts that do not fit into that idea should be reconsidered.

Also, don't worry about your hero name unless it is something very common in modern comics. Obviously, names like Superman, Spider-Man, Thor, the Hulk, Batman, etc etc are out. If you choose a name that's the same as some two-bit villain from a 1982 Daredevil comic, it's fine. There are only so many words that are appropriate for superhero names (especially depending on your character concept); there is bound to be some recycling.

drothgery

First Post
Yes, we are still open to submissions. The only caveat is that you read my rather long introduction, especially the part about your characters.

Everyone, when you are coming up with a character concept, remember that your characters are "legacy" heroes. Forever Freedom (your group) was established by your relatives, mentors, whatever, and your characters are the second or third generation in that same line. Concepts that do not fit into that idea should be reconsidered.

Somehow scanned right past that bit. Character proposal has been somewhat revised (post update).

Last edited:

Remove ads