D&D (2024) Interested in new dragon designs for 5e (5.5e or 6e)?

dave2008

Legend
In ancient times there were dragons that were clearly part animal, some with multiple sets of legs, extra heads or tails, even multiple pairs of wings. I see no reason not to call something shaped like an ankylosaur that has eight legs and breathes acid by the term "dragon".
I agree completely. However, I don't necessarily think that would pass as a D&D "Red" dragon. Though it could definitely be another type of dragon. Heck, the description is very similar to a dragon turtle.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
I agree completely. However, I don't necessarily think that would pass as a D&D "Red" dragon. Though it could definitely be another type of dragon. Heck, the description is very similar to a dragon turtle.
I see no reason a dragon can't look like any type of reptilian creature, from a feathered snake to a t-rex or brontosaurus. Godzilla is just a very large, bipedal dragon.

dave2008

Legend
I see no reason a dragon can't look like any type of reptilian creature, from a feathered snake to a t-rex or brontosaurus. Godzilla is just a very large, bipedal dragon.
I agree, I do prefer my dragons to not be exact copies though. Inspired by yes, copies or chimeras, not so much.

That being said, I feel there are some limits when we are talking about the iconic D&D dragons (Chromatic and Metallic 5). I am interested in pushing those boundaries, but not completely throwing them out.

Yaarel

He Mage
That being said, I feel there are some limits when we are talking about the iconic D&D dragons (Chromatic and Metallic 5). I am interested in pushing those boundaries, but not completely throwing them out.

I like that D&D 5e has Dragon as a creature type, that can include many different species of dragons.

It is possible to expand the definition of the D&D ‘true dragon’, while at the same time giving other kinds of related creatures the Dragon type descriptor.

Last edited:

Yaarel

He Mage
By the way, with regard to the East Asian dragon, I wonder if the fins along the spine are specifically a repetition of the dorsal fin of the Yellow Cheek Carp. The other fins of this fish can be a brilliant yellow, and the dorsal fin can sometimes be yellowish or even yellow. Of course, the color yellow because of its association with fertile yellowish soil is highly significant to Chinese culture. In this way, the dragon would maintain its connection to the carp, and idealize its yellow coloring thus associating the rain fertilizing the yellow soil.

2%2BYELLOWCHEEK%2BCARP%2B%2528Elopichthys%2Bbambusa%2529%2Bchina%2Bmongolia%2Bindia%2Basia%2Bworld%2Brecord%2Bbiggest%2Bfish%2Bever%2Bcaught%2Bbig%2Bhuge%2Bfishes%2Brecords%2Blargest%2Bmonster%2Bfishing%2Bgiant%2Bsize%2Bimages%2Bpictures.jpg

Note the yellowish dorsal fin from the spine above, being silver with a yellow edge for this individual fish.

Compare the repetition of this dorsal fin, across the spine of the dragon below.

Chinese-Dragon-Green-17-large.jpg

Last edited:

Yaarel

He Mage
Here is an other reconstruction of the Tetrapodophis, assuming a terrestrial habitat, and guessing its coloring.

Tetrapodophis amplectus (ashley).jpg

Tetrapodophis 5.jpg
9f4863c3d0a4586c605fcff7f509308c.jpg

Tetrapodophis 3.jpg

I will update the post above too, to compare it with the aquatic opinion.

Again, these are plausible locations for limbs, but the dragon has much larger limbs.

Note, in the fossil, the limbs are well-formed meaning they are functional and useful (as opposed to vestigial).

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Here is an other reconstruction of the Tetrapodophis, assuming a terrestrial habitat, and guessing its coloring.

View attachment 115082

I will update the post above too, to compare it with the aquatic opinion.

Again, these are plausible locations for limbs, but the dragon has much larger limbs.

Note, in the fossil, the limbs are well-formed meaning they are functional and useful (as opposed to vestigial).
I prefer this terrestrial reconstruction for sure. It reminds me a bit of this image of Fafnir:
fafnir.jpg

Yaarel

He Mage
Thinking about the British dragons. Like the East Asian dragons, the British dragons incorporate aspects of a fish. Examples. The Welsh dragon has the fish fins repeated down the spine of the neck. And that English dragon with the two sets of wings features fish fins on the tail.

In both cases, Asian and British, these dragons dwell in rivers and lakes. It appears both are water-breathers. Amphibious. Even the fire breathing dragons breath underwater.

Some dragons breath water − maybe even all of them. At the very least, those dragons that exhibit fish characteristics can be assumed to be water breathers.

dave2008

Legend
I have added some images of a possible blue dragon redesign. That has been the hardest one I as I really couldn't find an image of quite what I wanted.

Remove ads