log in or register to remove this ad

 

Into the Woods

Skarsgard

Explorer
Angelique takes the proffered shoe from the wizard in one hand and turns to her companions.

"Is anyone part bloodhound?" she asks innocently, holding out the shoe.
 

log in or register to remove this ad

jmucchiello

Adventurer
"For some, evil is what they are, demons and the like. For others, evil is a choice," Terry says to Angelique. "It's a bad choice. Evil is very bad, after all.
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Having finished his drink, Bimpnott nods appreciatively at the wizard as he returns his cup.

"Just show us the path and we'll take it from there," the firbolg says calmly as they walk up to the forest.

But then he hesitates for a moment as he seems to realize they are entering what he knows can be a very dangerous place, full of predators and monsters.

"In there?" he asks, stalling but trying not to let his anxiety show.
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Albrecht has emptied out his waterskin, pouring into one of the plants by the windowsill, and filled it with the remaining portions of the wizard's homebrew. He takes a final sip from his glass, and wipes his moustache with the inside cuff of his sleeve.

"Well, we should be going," he suggests. "The lad won't find himself."
 

mips42

Explorer
The collection of houses collectively known as Knotwood is fairly quiet. There are a few children playing enthusiastically, and a handful of chickens wandering about. But, otherwise, the place is fairly quiet. apparently most of the citizens are out at their fields. Just on the north edge of the village, you find the path that Mertrand mentioned and begin upon it.
The path is relatively straight and flat, with only the occasional stone breaking up the hard-pack surface. The path curves up to the top of a small hillock and, there, you get your first look at the woods itself. There is a wide swath of stumps and thinner trees where it's been cleared for housing and other needs but, beyond that, the bank of trees stretches to the left and right in a tight, dense wall.
Walking to the edge of the dense copse of trees, the path leads you to a small break in the wall of trees and underbrush of ferns and some sort of thorny vines. Even from the edge of the trees, you get a feeling of foreboding, as if someone or some THING is aware of you and not at all happy you are there. And, at the same time, there is another sense of pleasure, even giddiness or joy. Even without entering, you can tell that the woods is a very odd place.
 

tglassy

Adventurer
Andar focuses on the whispers as they walk, listening for thoughts he is unfamiliar with.

OOC: Detect Thoughts lets me do a passive scan for intelligent thought within 30 ft of me, and if he's not doing anything else, he's going to be doing that. It doesn't tell him where they are, just that they're within 30 ft, and they have to have an INT score over 3 to detect them. I have to keep Concentration, but since it's cast at will, I only have to do an action ever minute to keep it going.

I'm going to lose this thing so quickly...
 

mips42

Explorer
OOC: Again, interpretation of the rules as written.

As you stand at the edge of rhe copse of trees and open your awareness, you are nearly overwhelmed as a flood of senses pour into your mind. Beyond the general apprehension of your companions, there is a mass of other inputs. Not so much thoughts in the "normal" sense but, rather, something simpler and more primal. If you were to attempt to put them into words, it would be a combination of fear, hatred, anger, and a desperate need to feed.
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Bimpnott swallows hard as he imagines all the dangerous predators and monsters of the wood watching him... But when he turns to his companions, he just smiles.

”Stay with me,” he says, and walks into the forest with big steps, seemingly fearless.
 



Skarsgard

Explorer
Angelique follows behind the others. "there are lots of shadows in there. If you stare into shadows for too long, they sometimes stare back."
 

mips42

Explorer
Stepping into the grove of trees is akin to stepping into some alien landscape, maybe this is what the Shadowfell is like? almost immediately after the tree line, there is a hard right turn in the path, making it difficult to see where you came in.
Between and around the trees, there is a heavy, cold, fog or mist that obscures the view more than about fifty feet ahead of you.
Somewhere in the distance you can hear a skittering noise, light, like a small animal, and also a more heavy thump-thump as of something large and heavy.

As you get deeper into the trees, more and more thoughts and feelings are barraging you from all sides.
OOC: it seems reasonable to ask for a concentrations check, DC 13 at this point.
 

Attachments

  • foggy-forest-landscape_1048-11805.jpg
    foggy-forest-landscape_1048-11805.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 25

jmucchiello

Adventurer
"Shadows? What shadows?" Terry says cheerfully. "There's fog. But otherwise the forest seems well lit."

OOC: Eyes of Night: Your eyes are blessed, allowing youto see through the deepest gloom. You have darkvision with no maximum range; you can see in dim light as if it were bright light and in darkness as if it were dim light.
 

Skarsgard

Explorer
"just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there." the little girl smiles at a spot to her right.

"should we call out for the missing apprentice? "
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"Watch your step," Bimpnott says softly, more to assure himself than the others.

"The shadows do not scare me." It's what's hiding in the shadows that scares the giantkin, but he doesn't want the others to know that.

The firbolg pauses when he hears the skittering and the thump-thump in the distance, and he waits a moment before feeling confident enough to continue walking.
 


Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
As they enter the forest, the mist swirling between the bare tree trunks like it has a mind of its own, Albrecht places the brick in his hand on the ground, as if it were a marker to show that once crossed, he has left behind a world that was familiar and entered one that was not. The brick itself had come loose in his hand as he had left the wizard's home; the mortar was loose, and he had taken it with him out of habit.
 

mips42

Explorer
As you walk ever further into the woods, if anything, the fog gets denser and colder, the wisps of it seem to drag upon your skin like cold fingers. after only a few minutes the trail splits. either path seem equally well trod and neither looks particularly more inviting than the other. Somewhere, not too far away, the skittering and thumping continues.
Your keen eyes just manage to spot something, several very dark, almost black somethings, moving in the mists to the groups left.
 

Skarsgard

Explorer
Angelique looks at her doll, nodding. " you're good at this game Brooke "

She pivots slowly to face the left. Her eyes panning the scene. "some things coming , they are playing hide and seek but Brooke saw them. She's the best at that game."

She raises on hand to point at the approaching figures.
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Glint begins to glow, and Albrecht hefts it up into a ready position, with two hands. It casts its light in the direction Angelique had indicated with her doll.
 

Halloween Horror For 5E

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top