• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Intoducing mighty composite longbow back into 5E

jgsugden

Legend
There is an official strength based bow in 5E. It was introduced in an adventure in 5E in a monster stat block, but it is clear that the bow can be used by PCs with an 18 strength.
This unique weapon can be used only by a Medium or larger creature that has a Strength of 18 or higher. The bow shoots oversized arrows that deal piercing damage equal to 2d6 + the wielder’s Strength modifier. Its range is the same as an ordinary longbow.

Oofta

Legend
I've simplified rules since last posting in 2016; longbows are now finesse weapons in my game.

No stacking strength and dex, no use one for attack another for damage, just use strength or dex whichever is better.

Last edited:

Shiroiken

Legend
I've always been of the opinion that bows should also use the Strength to determine the range rather than just one set arbitrary range of the bow.

So for example range could be X ft + Y * (Strength Bonus)ft or something along those lines.
Thought being that the further you can pull the bow back the more distance you can get out of it.
While not the desire of the OP, I think this would be a much better method, and helps balance bows vs crossbows. Crossbows would have a set range, while bows would be variable based on strength that is lower with +0, but higher at +5. Crossbows would become much more common in use, while only specially trained people would choose to use bows.

Drathon'Tal

First Post
Shiroiken - While not the desire of the OP, I think this would be a much better method, and helps balance bows vs crossbows. Crossbows would have a set range, while bows would be variable based on strength that is lower with +0, but higher at +5. Crossbows would become much more common in use, while only specially trained people would choose to use bows.
I think more needs to be done to increase useage of the bow and less crossbow users. at least thats how I like it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads