D&D General io9: 2023 Should Have Been D&D's Best Year, Until It Wasn't

This really is a half-measure.

If they're going to make up stuff to scare themselves silly, forget Meta, which is managing to fail in the gaming space, despite being the undisputed leader in home VR technology, tell yourself that the governments of India, Russia and China are going to release their own tabletop RPGs. It's equally without evidence, but now you're really scared and can justify any decisions. (Hey, why does Hasbro have an intercontinental missile?)
I mean, joking aside, we have seen several countries create video games as tools of propaganda. It's weirdly not outside the realm of possibility that we could see something like that happen.

Retreater

Legend
It's hard to quantify how bad a year Hasbro has had regarding D&D.
The movie lost money, was a forgotten failure in terms of the general audience, with merchandise being sold for pennies on the dollar at liquidation outlets.
With the OGL crisis (while it doesn't matter to Joe Q Gamer), they've basically created the war of the Olympians vs the Titans. The biggest free promotion and content creators have turned against them to make their own content (Critical Role, MCDM, Kobold Press, etc.)
Don't forget the Pinkertons, failed physical projects, and AI art.
End the year with a good, solid controversy regarding massive layoffs, and wow. I think this time next year, WotC will be a shadow of its former self.

Clint_L

Hero
It's hard to quantify how bad a year Hasbro has had regarding D&D.
The movie lost money, was a forgotten failure in terms of the general audience, with merchandise being sold for pennies on the dollar at liquidation outlets.
With the OGL crisis (while it doesn't matter to Joe Q Gamer), they've basically created the war of the Olympians vs the Titans. The biggest free promotion and content creators have turned against them to make their own content (Critical Role, MCDM, Kobold Press, etc.)
Don't forget the Pinkertons, failed physical projects, and AI art.
End the year with a good, solid controversy regarding massive layoffs, and wow. I think this time next year, WotC will be a shadow of its former self.
I'm just sad that you couldn't also find a way to spin BG3 into an abject failure. Try harder.

Retreater

Legend
You could take every cent of the licensing fee made from BG3 for three years, and you wouldn't make a dent in the $3.5 Billion loss of eOne studios.
Hasbro has made a laughable failure of their business this year.

Zardnaar

Legend
You could take every cent of the licensing fee made from BG3 for three years, and you wouldn't make a dent in the $3.5 Billion loss of eOne studios.
Hasbro has made a laughable failure of their business this year.

It's not a straight 3.5 billion loss. They did keep sone assets.

Can't really spin it as good news though.

Remove ads