• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Iron DM 2010 Discussion Thread

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
For the most part, I would like to run this competition the way it always has been done. Except for these small changes.

What do you guys think?

CONTESTANT PAIRING
Instead of pitting the contestants against each other in the order that they registered, I am going to randomly determine who competes with whom. In case you care how this will be done....
Each contestant will be assigned a random number between 1 and 100 (using d%). Any ties will be rerolled.

Contestants will then be grouped in order of highest to lowest results. The highest will be pit against the lowest; the second-highest against the second-lowest, and so forth.)

TIME LIMITS
In my experience, the quality of an adventure idea is not likely to improve past the first couple of hours of inspiration...but the word count will grow like a magic beanstalk.

In the first competition, Iron DMs only got an hour to come up with an adventure concept. In last year's competition, we had 48 hours to do the same. A single hour is not nearly long enough, IMO, and 48 hours is probably too long.

So for this competition, I think I will make each round last 24 hours. Sound good?

WORD COUNT
Someone suggested in the last competition that we impose some sort of word limit, to keep these entries from becoming too cumbersome to read. I don't really see the need for a word length restriction, at least as a hard rule. Some judges might take the length of your submission into consideration, others might not. So go with your gut.

Just remember: the writer who can say the most with the fewest words will likely win.

INGREDIENTS
In each round, contestants will be given six ingredients. The categories for these ingredients (and examples of each) are as follows.

absent-minded professor
pastry chef
Elvis impersonator
three beautiful widows
eladrin merchant
unemployed assassin
President Abraham Lincoln
12th level rogue
disfigured veteran
ice cave
pie factory
abandoned coal mine
burning building
medieval Europe
desert island
a collapsed bridge
The Black Temple of Azaroth
The Sears Tower
magic potion
fresh pumpkin pie
the Hope Diamond
alabaster necklace
the letter "Q"
toenail shavings
three letters to the same princess
wand of fireballs
pool of acid
sonic boom
unabated hunger
revolution
burning passion
eagerness to please
horror
urban renewal
embarrassing honesty
that sinking feeling you get when the waiter tells you that they have sold out of your favorite pie
rabid blink dog
half-dragon scorpion
fiendish purple worm
Godzilla
a pet earthworm
an intelligent ooze
vampire bat
halfling pie-thrower
Pennywise the Clown
six-headed hydra
This could be any of the above...a second monster, or a second location, or another idea. It could also be a special writing requirement ("Include a poem at least four lines in length") or a "meta" ingredient ("create and show the stats for a pie golem") that must be included in your submission.
Ingredients will become more challenging and specific as the competition wears on. In the final rounds, expect to have more proper names and specific locations, in combinations that border on the insane.

-----

Does this all sound agreeable?

Last edited:

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
I'll have another go, though if it fills up and someone who hasn't done it before wants to jump in, they can take my place (want everyone to get a chance!).

Pour

First Post
Is it that time already? Sign me up! And if I can make a request regarding scheduling, any time but Tuesdays and Thursdays are good for me.

And Invino, roll out of that judges box and enter the arena. We have unfinished business! :p

Remove ads