• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E is a big Pathfinder surge on the way?

foolish_mortals

First Post
I don't know if they are going to ever release a second edition. From what I can tell their 1rst book keeps on selling well and people are happy with it. Which is... good. I'll probably get a copy some day after my next set of purchases. Not having a 2nd edition of PFinder makes it a more attractive purchase for me. Don't want to buy it and have it become obsolete in a week.

foolish_mortals

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
I think it's inevitable, but I'm certain that when Paizo eventually does publish a second edition, it will be much more like the transition from AD&D 1e to 2e-- more optional rules in the core, general refinements, and nearly 100% compatible with pre-existing rules and modules.

There are a whole lot of rules I'm trying to get people to start thinking about, but the only thing I think has a reasonable chance of happening is expanding the concept of at-will powers beyond 0th level spells and Witch Hexes.

Nivenus

First Post
I don't know if they are going to ever release a second edition. From what I can tell their 1rst book keeps on selling well and people are happy with it. Which is... good. I'll probably get a copy some day after my next set of purchases. Not having a 2nd edition of PFinder makes it a more attractive purchase for me. Don't want to buy it and have it become obsolete in a week.

foolish_mortals

A 2nd edition of Pathfinder or something akin to it seems inevitable to me. It may not happen for several years (there was a pretty big gap between 2e and 3e) but any game that sells as well as Pathfinder is going to eventually peter out and require a new launch to A) correct any flaws players have detected since release and more importantly B) maintain a profit.

If I had to guess, a 2e Pathfinder would be a further evolution of the basic concepts that people liked about 3.5, while possibly incorporating lessons from other systems (including, but not limited to, 4e D&D).

Jack99

Adventurer
I am gonna keep playing 4e until 5e makes the stores. If I like it, I will switch, if not, I will keep playing 4e.

While I cant speak for anyone but myself, I think that most people have made their minds up by now, just as I have. Either you like 4e or you like Pathfinder or you like both. I see no reasons why a 5e announcement would change that, especially since it wont be out for another 18 months at least.

This short message was brought to you by Tapatalk and my iPad

Halivar

First Post
The premise is ridiculous. Why would I suddenly have a 180-degree conversion on my play style just because 5E is announced? I chose 4E over 3.x/PF for reasons that have not changed with the announcement of 5E.

I don't remember this great resurgence of AD&D 2nd Ed when 4E was announced.

El_Gringo

First Post
There is no logic in assuming any 4th edition players will suddenly stop playing their chosen game just because a new edition is announced. Your premise assumes 4th ed. players are both angry and angry enough to completely drop a game they play for idealistic reasoning. My group certainly didn't stop playing 3.5 when 4th ed. came out. Others are still playing 1st ed or BD&D, despite those books being out of print for years.

Fun is not exclusive to any edition. In a medium crowded out by video games, I actually take comfort in the fact that somewhere right now, someone is playing some version of D&D.

foolish_mortals

First Post
The premise is ridiculous. Why would I suddenly have a 180-degree conversion on my play style just because 5E is announced? I chose 4E over 3.x/PF for reasons that have not changed with the announcement of 5E.

I don't remember this great resurgence of AD&D 2nd Ed when 4E was announced.

That's because 2nd edition material isn't on the market anymore to the extent of games that are still published.

foolish_mortals

GregoryOatmeal

First Post
So in other words did WOTC's big announcement have some dramatic effect on how the current games are selling?
Regardless of how you feel about the edition wars that makes sense to me. I recall some 3.5 products were effectively dead on arrival when 4E was announced, and I heard retailers say 3.0 products stopped selling when 3.5 came out (I think the consumer logic there was flawed...). If Paizo announced a PF 2E I probably wouldn't put more money into their products until the smoke cleared and I knew what the new edition was.

4E is clearly winding down, although it seems they won't drop it like a hot potato like they did with 3.5 when 4E came out (respect to WOTC for learning from past mistakes). Since new 4E products seem to have stopped I'd be surprised if this didn't happen. I'd be curious to see how many of the 4E fans try PF in the interim.

It really has nothing to do with edition wars and everything to do with natural consumer behavior

I just saw Wii sales are plummeting now that the Wii U is announced.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads