• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E is a big Pathfinder surge on the way?

GregoryOatmeal

First Post
There is no logic in assuming any 4th edition players will suddenly stop playing their chosen game just because a new edition is announced.
I agree, but he's talking about buying. You're talking about playing.

Take a good look at the WOTC release schedule. 4E products are over.

Nivenus

First Post
That's because 2nd edition material isn't on the market anymore to the extent of games that are still published.

foolish_mortals

It still doesn't make any sense. People who liked Pathfinder by and large liked it because it wasn't 4e. It doesn't make sense that 4e players would switch to Pathfinder, especially since 5e is much more likely to fit their playstyle than Pathfinder.

keterys

First Post
I had one person in my group who wanted to play something different than 4E (just for something different), so was bringing up Pathfinder...

Until the announcement for 5E, and now he wants to play that instead. So the announcement cost some sales in my group. It is inevitable that 4E products will sell less given their own announcement of 5E, though - even though some of their most recent products like Heroes of Feywild and the soon-to-be-released Elemental Chaos are pretty darn snazzy!

On a more serious note, this thread has a bit too much rancor in it. Discuss 5E without stirring up edition warring, or expect to get moderated.

Also, please report people you feel should be moderated, rather than confronting them.

Jack99

Adventurer
I agree, but he's talking about buying. You're talking about playing.

Take a good look at the WOTC release schedule. 4E products are over.

It does make perfect sense. If you stick to PLAYING 4e, you probably wont be BUYING more Pathfinder products than you did before.

This short message was brought to you by Tapatalk and my iPad

foolish_mortals

First Post
It does seem 2 different questions, how many are going to just start playing pathfinder and how many more are going to pick up the books after the big 5.00003 announcement. It seems not easy to measure from here using proxies. Maybe PaizoCON would shed some light on the situation....

foolish_mortals

Incenjucar

Legend
Pathfinder interests me neither as a rules set or in the flavor of the materials I've seen - I care neither for their version of goblins, nor their introduction of guns. I have my own significant creative abilities, and I live in geek central, so I can play 4E indefinitely.

I suspect that in the short term this announcement is not going to be good for business for either Paizo or WotC. To whit:

Most 4E fans will continue to play 4E, but some will quit buying products waiting for 5E. The announcement it not likely to cause them to switch to Pathfinder if they haven't already (minus a few purely out of curiosity).

Most Pathfinder fans will continue to play Pathfinder, but some will be interested in switching to 5E and will refrain from new purchases until 5E comes out. Few if any will switch to 4E in the interim.

Those playing out-of-print editions aren't buying new products for the most part, so if the announcement causes them to buy 5E in the future, good, but it will not cause them to suddenly switch to 4E or PF (again, minus a tiny minority out of curiosity).

So the net effect is the both 4E and PF lose some business as people wait on 5E. I know I'm one of them -- I'm going to wait and see what is next until a new product pops that absolutely grabs me, and I haven't seen one of those in more than six months.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads